Sick of it - Forum Improvements

Re: Sick of it

Ian,

Look at this, it is pasted directly from the bottom of this page.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat colSpan=2>Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (8 members and 0 guests) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 colSpan=2>Scott Calabro, egoman, iank2112, Jay Vickers, wolodymyr, RichardH, czan </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I realize that right now Ron is the "Invisible member", but many times there are several more of these "members".

Who are they?

S

Ron Earp

Admin

One, somtimes two, of these "members" seems to enjoy my choice of viewing so much that they follow me around quite often.

The "Viewing" box is not in real time as far as I know. It refreshes based on parameters setup in the admin panel. I've not looked at it since 2006 when we went to VB, but it isn't set to refresh often because it increases the server load. Which member follows you around? I imagine most do because if you are reading from "Today's Posts" most forum members will go there first to read threads.

Why not?

Just don't allow posting privileges until you/admins get the time to make sure they are in compliance with the forum rules.

Regards,
S

Here is a screen shot from the admin panel that shows the numbers of new registrations each day for most of January. Probably looking at an average of 10 per day. I don't have time to send out 10 emails a day to new GT40s.com users, no way.

As far as rules enforcement, what rules do you folks think we need to enforce better on the site?

Attachments

• registrations.jpg
    registrations.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 238

Ron Earp

Admin

I believe the software will either show all users who are logged in, or there is
a limit in the software (or skin) that prevents a long list. Based upon the User
CP, I don't see any option for "Stealth" mode when viewing threads (some
BB software do have such an option).

Scott / Ian, that might actually be it, or part of it as well as the refresh timing. When we first switched to VB in 2006 it was allowed that the users could turn on or off stealth mode. I don't know how many users enabled it or not, I have no clue. However the option was disabled within a few months of switching to VB, that is the option to "be invisible". But disabling the option doesn't affect the status of the switch at the time of being disabled.

In any event, I don't think it is any big deal. If the count is off a couple of counts or if there are "invisible" users I don't think it makes much difference. I've never paid it much attention but I suppose I will now. Heck I think we can turn the thing off completely and then it won't bother anyone.

Right now it says:

<table class="tborder" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2">
</td></tr><tr><td class="alt1" colspan="2">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Ron

Everything is fine the way it is. Don't change nothing.
This is a great forum and very polite even to those who dissent from the norm. I myself enjoy the squabble between the manufacturers. Better than looking at the world through rose colored glasses and singing Kumbayah.
If a forum member does not like a certain thread he does not have to read it or participate. Ron moderation is always spot on and the way things are is fine with me.
Mike Wegener

Ron,

"Which member follows you around?"

How would I know who follows me around?

They are logged on as a member but their forum name is not shown at the bottom of the page!

I refresh my screen constantly to try to keep up to date.

"Probably looking at an average of 10 per day. I don't have time to send out 10 emails a day to new GT40s.com users, no way."

So, wait until its best for you/admins to get around to it.
All you are preventing them from doing is posting.
You can even put that as a heads up on the registration page. If they can't wait until its convienient for the forum admins, oh well... SEE YA!

Rules enforcement;

I'll re-read them and post my thoughts.

Regards,
S

Ron Earp

Admin

Ron,

"Which member follows you around?"

I thought you meant a named member follows you. You think that a member follows you based on the numbers reading the thread, but no names are shown?? Not sure I follow that.

So, wait until its best for you/admins to get around to it.
All you are preventing them from doing is posting.
You can even put that as a heads up on the registration page. If they can't wait until its convienient for the forum admins, oh well... SEE YA!

I understand what you're saying but it isn't something I agree with. It'd cause more problems and more emails to the admins. I used to moderate a forum like that and it was a PITA. Just not the way I wish to run the site. There is no time that it is convenient to send an email to prospective member, it'd be over 300 per month. Got lots of more important things to do since the auto registration seems to work just fine.

Scott,
Why would someone follow you arround to see the posts you are reading? And if they are why care?
As far as not answering a question quick. I feel that all can be answered when someone has the time. But to say you wouldnt answer a question just because someone may not be a supporting member is not right. That person could me a future supporter.
How can you tell if members are viewing if they aren't logged on?

Jim

Guy's look at post #21.

I'm really trying here!

"I thought you meant a named member follows you. You think that a member follows you based on the numbers reading the thread, but no names are shown?? Not sure I follow that."

Yes it happens all the time.

Again look at post #21.

Ron, you are the 8th member and your name is not listed, understand now?

I've seen up to 4 ghosts at times.

S

Ivan

Lifetime Supporter

could it be closet "caravan'ers" wanting to know more about the dark side?

^^ sorry mate i couldnt resist, i dont mean this as a personal attact or anything.

Scott,

I think you're either getting paranoid, or you have a guilty conscience.
Or both.

I don't think anyone is "following you around". I mean, wouldn't it be
just as likely that the "invisible" members are following someone else?
Or, more likely, different "invisible" members are "showing up" in the
count at various times because different people are viewing a particularly
active thread.

Ian

Well if there are only two admins, who are the other two?

Ian,

I really don't care, actually I find it quite amusing!

Just trying to improve on what people are "sick of"

Ron Earp

Admin

I wonder if it has anything to do with search spiders. I just turned on identification for search spiders in the Who's Online and there are around six of them on the site right now.

<table class="tborder" id="woltable" width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td class="alt1" width="35%">Guest </td> <td class="alt2" width="35%">
wol_nopermission.gif
question_icon.gif
Viewing User Profile
Tjello
</td> <td class="alt1"> 93.149.67.140
</td> <td class="alt2" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" width="35%"> 04:27 PM Guest </td> <td class="alt2" width="35%">
question_icon.gif
Viewing Thread
My view of the SL-C
</td> <td class="alt1"> 86.140.77.254
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" width="35%"> 04:35 PM Yahoo! Slurp Spider </td> <td class="alt2" width="35%">
wol_nopermission.gif
question_icon.gif
Viewing User Profile
Andy40
</td> <td class="alt1"> 67.195.37.106
</td> </tr><tr> <td class="alt1" width="35%"> 04:31 PM Guest </td> <td class="alt2" width="35%">
question_icon.gif
Viewing Thread
Superformance GT40 MK11 & Coupe retail prices
</td> <td class="alt1"> 70.113.59.42
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Here is one from Yahoo! checking out a profile. Anyhow, maybe turning the feature off for resolution of indivdual threads is best. The main page will show everyone online, not sure why we need to know who's viewing what thread anyhow. Doesn't much make any difference to me.

Ron

Ian,

Look at this, it is pasted directly from the bottom of this page.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat colSpan=2>Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (8 members and 0 guests) </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 colSpan=2>Scott Calabro, egoman, iank2112, Jay Vickers, wolodymyr, RichardH, czan </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I realize that right now Ron is the "Invisible member", but many times there are several more of these "members".

Who are they?

S

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Okay Scott, you caught me, I admit it.......I have been following you around the forum....;);););) Forgive me.
I understand what your saying on the "ghosts" but how does one follow you without clicking on every thread looking for your name?? Is it not just by dumb luck to view the same thread at the same time?

Mr. Earp,

Sorry, your "vacation" was cut short, hope your battery is recharged.
Welcome back.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor

Scott

Your are waisting your time. You need to be able to count to 8 to figure it out.

Sorry but I could not resist

Andy

Ron Earp

Admin

Well if there are only two admins, who are the other two?

Ian,

I really don't care, actually I find it quite amusing!

Just trying to improve on what people are "sick of"

Another thread seemingly gone off track and bad again.

Anyhow, Admins, actually there are four, I forgot about that. Paul, myself, Magicat (programmer I use from time to time for upgrades/fixes, does not perform admin functions) and Al Hirsbrunner, but I've not seen Al on in quite some time. There are two moderators, Lynn Miner and Richard Woerz, although they are only moderators so they can tend to the "How To" section.

Help me understand what your point is so maybe I can help?

Back