SLC 24 Howard Jones

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks for that. Great minds think alike, Ya? I am considering a 1 gal tank separate from the main tank that receives the fuel being pumped from the main pump as well as the return line from the fuel pressure regulator. Then that smaller tank will incorporate an overflow back to the main tank. A second primary pump drawing fuel from the smaller "surge" tank would supply the carb via the inlet to the regulator. I'm going to draw something up so I can get a better idea of what I am doing. I would like to have an emergency/reserve tank in the system that I can use if I run the main system out of fuel. Enough to return to the paddock if that happens. I gallon would be plenty. Maybe I can get some dual-use from the second "surge" tank and pump system.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have this one picture from Sunday

Attachments

• DSC_1422.jpg
    DSC_1422.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 41

Mark B.

Supporter
Hey Howard, let us know if you do end up going back in May -- I'd love to come out and watch / help with anything you need. I'm going to do one more small track event first (MSR probably) before hitting COTA but can live vicariously though you :D

Howard Jones

Supporter
That is exactly what I was thinking! I was going to research pumps next. To confirm, I will need to pump out of the top of the fuel tank and into the 'serge tank sitting next to it. The total lift height will be about a foot and the length of the fuel line from the main tank to the surge tank will be about 2 feet. I am making about 550 hp so I think about 50 gph ought to work. OK Don?

The Carter Black pump in free flow is 50 gph free flow. Lift pump is free flow into surge tank.

As in diagram, main pump from bottom of surge. Return to tank out top. Lift and regulator return on side at top at an angle creating a swirling motion. Hence swirl pot. Prevents air bubbles from reaching bottom of surge tank under low fuel tank pickup conditions.

Questions:
What are you doing for pickups in the main tank?
Holley hydramat?
Does the main tank contain foam baffling?
Rock crawler pickups?

I would call you but I lost a few #'s when transferring to new phone.

Howard Jones

Supporter
The main tank is a big aluminum box about 5 feet long a foot tall and about 14 inches wide, It is divided with full width and height baffles into three sections of equal area with holes in the rear bottom of the panels about 1 1/2 in diameter to allow fuel to transfer between them. I have added a sump in the center section located at the center rear, 6 inches square and, 2 inches deep.

The pickup is a length of hose that comes from the top of the tank and terminates down in the center of the sump. I used an aluminum AN 'T' fitting attached to the hose and sitting on the bottom of the sump as a weighted pickup. It cannot move enough to contact the sides of the sump walls. I would estimate that there is about a 1/2 inch clearance to the bottom of the sump from the two 'T' openings and therefore the inlet would be about a 1 to 11/2 below the floor level of the main tank.

No foam. The tank is all welded up and replacing foam would be a big deal.

I am pretty sure fuel will normally find its way into the sump while on track pretty consistently. However, I agree that a surge tank would probably solve the problem. I just ordered a length of aluminum tubing to make a surge tank.

I'll send you my contact info via PM. Thanks again, Don.

Attachments

• HPIM0918.jpg
    HPIM0918.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0915.jpg
    HPIM0915.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0906.jpg
    HPIM0906.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 11
Back