SLC at Run and Gun (the recap)

As some of you know, I had the privilege of driving the SLC for RCR at this years Run and Gun. I wanted to share with you how I had the car set up for the track and maybe provide you with a baseline for the initial chassis set up. Here it goes.........

The car was an LS7/Ricardo equipped car with a used set of Hoosier R6's. We had a new set of A6's but the weather was such that I never used them.

The car weighed in at 2478 with some fuel. I didn't know how much gas was in the car but I had to work with what I had.

Front left = 616 Front right = 583
front = 1199 (48.4%)

Back left = 634 back right = 645
back = 1279 (51.6%)

Cross weights are 49.1% x 50.9%
I was pretty happy with the balance. I am sure if I played with it for a longer period I could get it closer but I was out of time. I will say that the chassis is really stiff. Just an 1/8 of a turn on the spring can make a significant change in the corner weights.

The camber was set to -1 in the front and -.75 in the rear. One full turn on both upper hiems will yield about .25 degrees. I ran 1/16 of toe out in the front and 1/16 toe in in the rear. The alignment was so easy to do on this car relative to the GT40. I checked the caster and if you set all the control arms in the center of their mounts you will be at about 4.5 deg.. I choose to set it up one washer off center to create a caster setting of 5.5. I didn't want to take the chance of the front end being to "light" in the steering at high speed.

I set the shocks from the full out position. I know I am supposed to set the adjustments from the in position and measure the clicks out but this car responds better to less valving so it was easier to count the turns in. I didn't get to run hard after Wednesday due to the rain but i like the car with 5 clicks in all around. This made the car a little tight in the exits but I was still getting used to it. We repeatedly check the tire temps and they were with 5 degrees across the tires with a starting air pressure of 21 pounds and a hot temp of 27 to 28 degrees. It was pretty cool, in the 50's that day.

Here is the stance of the car at just over 150mph on the straight. It was crazy how stable the car was. I wasn't even over 6000rpms in 4th!
6925_1129810408483_1323906159_333598_785601_n.jpg

This is hard on the brakes coming into a tight turn onto the NASCAR oval.
IMG_1368.jpg

This is a fast chicane. The car is rail flat and really feels smooth and solid as the weight was transferred left to right.
IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

When I checked the data logger the lateral g load max was 1.77:stunned: And we were just doing a shack down for the race the next day. I had never driven this car before this test and tune session and, without running hard, I turned a 1.09 lap on the track. The fastest time I ever ran in the GT40 was 1.07.98 and consistently can in the mid 1.08's. This can can make a bad driver feel good. At least it did for me! At the end of the test and tune we had the fastest unofficial time. I can't say how we would have done running all out but I think we would have fared very well.

Dean,
What springs were in the car and how were the bars set? Thanks for the info - it's the most I've seen so far. Is that the black shop car with a new set of decals or a whole new ride?
I have not seen any reports on the RNG...did the event happen, if so what were the results?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Dean -
Thanks for your impressions and set-up details - much appreciated. I like the elevated wing position, I can see where it would bring the wing into "cleaner" air. Hopefully, next year the conditions will be better for you and you can really push it.
Regards,
Dave L

The springs were what Fran had on the car. I don't recall what the spring rates were. I am sure fran knows. I had the bars set in the middle position on the bars that were installed on this car. It would be better if the there was a little more rear bar. I could have moved it to the next hole but I ran out of time to start tweaking the bars.

And yes, this is the black "test mule" with new suspension and aero packages.

Run and Gun was a complete event even with the weather. The times really don't mean anything because it was just so wet. They will be posted to the runngun.net site soon. We are moving the event to Hastings Nebraska next year to a new track. It is a little closer for you west coast guys.

Ron Earp

Admin
We are moving the event to Hastings Nebraska next year to a new track. It is a little closer for you west coast guys.

Sounds like a blast and the car did very well. It is shaping up to be much faster than your GT40.

I'd love to attend one of these things but St. Louis is quite a ways and Nebraska is worse for the East Coasters. Nebraska (or the Midwest) might not be the best place to have the Run and Gun. I think if you aim for even a couple hundred miles of one of the pink circles you'll be able to dramatically improve the turn out of the R&G. And there are world famous tracks within those areas.

usa-population-map.jpg

Dean,
Come to Texas. That's the middle of the country anyway!:laugh:
Great recap. We all love the RCR SLC.
Garry

Dean,

Very informative and greatly appreciated. If we can't have Run-n-Gun perhaps we should go for an SL-C reunion in Dallas once all of our TX cars are up and running?

Chuck

Supporter
Dean:

You know you want to build one . . .

You know you need to build one . . . .

Now the only questions is when . . . .

Chuck

Thanks for the detailed write up, that is just the type of info I and others here are craving.
When I checked the data logger the lateral g load max was 1.77:stunned: And we were just doing a shack down for the race the next day.
That sounds mighty good to me.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dean, You mention the adjustment on the bars. My car is not adjustable at the front and I am just about done with the rear. The rear will be adjustable. can you add so information on the anti roll bar configuration on the car. Pictures would be very welcome.

Also tell us more about the updated suspension package as well as the aero updates. How about so good pictures of the rear of the car with the raised wing.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dean, You mention the adjustment on the bars. My car is not adjustable at the front and I am just about done with the rear. The rear will be adjustable. Can you add some information on the anti roll bar configuration on the car. Pictures would be very welcome.

Also tell us more about the updated suspension package as well as the aero updates. How about some good pictures of the rear of the car with the raised wing.

Howard, Fran has the car in Detroit so pictures are limited. I will see what I have. The bars are adjustable by drilling more mounting holes in the arms to allow you to make the bar stiffer. The bars should still be set in the neutral position, meaning that when the car is on flat ground, there is no tension on the bars. The suspension upgrades are what the current cars are using. This car had some old stuff that Fran wanted to replace before the event. At least that is what I understand to be the case. It is no different than the current models.

RCR SLC 002.jpg
Craig, I found the car to be very stable. I personally would like to see a tighter turning ratio for a track car but you don't want that for a road car. The steering input is light and easy to control. It turns much sharper than my GT40. I suspect that if someone had a strange issue with the steering, it is due to alignment issues. The rack really doesn't have much to do with the feel of the car at high speed or on the street.

Hey, I know you were testing the NEW wing and some under belly pans for the car. So what do you think?

Actually I think I like the old wing better than the High wing on the track car..

What do you guys think?

The higher wing, moving it forward just a bit, coupled with the fender vents and
ducting of the splitter would move the center of effort towards the middle of the car and should result in better balance at very high speeds. I will likely not be driving at
race speeds as mine is a street car, however, I do like the higher wing position.
Perhaps I'll play with some end plate shapes on my SL-C too.

Back