Snap-On tools are for fools

At first glance it does look nuts , but having worked in dealerships for a dozen years , there is some sense . But as I kept looking I think obsessed is the word .
I've seen collections of mechanics that have died , which is the reason most collections get sold , sell for less than 10% of their original sales price . Kind of goes back to the beginning of this thread . Snap-on makes a good profit selling to franchise dealers , who mark-up at least 150% . Then get you signed up for credit @ 22-24% interest , making more profit for Snap-on .
I added up my receipts from Sears , Mac , Matco , and Snap-on once , and found 60k worth . Of which lots have been permanently borrowed , or now that I'm not in a shop , broken and sitting in a box waiting to be replaced .

But YES , that looks to be totally nuts . I kept 2 sets , 1 in shop , 1 @ home , and have nowhere near that .

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Back on the subject of Sears Craftsman tools, right now they have a nice 255 piece 1/4-3/8-1/2" tool set at 1/3 off, with free shipping, for $200. (free shipping requires the magic word "SHIP4DAD".)

(beware the plastic "chest" is apparently a joke, but then you weren't going to carry them around with you anyway, were you?).

Speaking of chests, and just to get the die-hard Snap-on fans really snapped off, this is where you should put all those tools:

image_2066.jpg

This is the big red US General expandable tool chest set that Harbor Freight sells. It is quite well built and has nice-feel ball bearing slides. I have just the center lower part but am ready at any moment to buy some of the expansion. My top drawer is completely packed with sockets, probably ways 100 lbs, but slides in and out like a dream.

When I bought mine I carefully compared it to the equivalents from Craftsman and there was nothing even close to the Harbor Freight price with that build quality.

13 Drawer Red Roller Tool Box Cabinet - Tools Boxes at Harbor Freight

BTW in case you don't know: Car & Driver usually has a full-page Harbor Freight ad in the back, and in that ad is usually a 20%-off coupon. The small print excludes compressors, welders, and some other things, but I think that tool chests is one of the few big-ticket items not excluded. I could be wrong though; I don't have a coupon to look at.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sorry to say I did just look at a Harbor Freight 20%-off coupon and they do exclude tool chests (along with pretty much anything else that sells for more than ~$100).

Bloody-Hell Keith - I bet that focused your attention and I would think you might not only feel the rush but also know the colour and smell of adrenalin too.:shocked:

When I used to work on aircraft, we had to use only hanger supplied tools from a shadow tool board. We each had an ident number and could only use tools with that marking, any missing were (or should be) traceable to the engineer and using 'personal' or 'un-idented' tools was a big no-no too.. Common sense really...

It also reminds me of the 302 I rebuilt after suffering a timing chain breakage. Upon stripdown and inspection, I found parts of a '17th' roller lifter that that found their way into the timing chain after a period of about 18 mths use.

I own 4 snap-on tools, 2 open enders, one combination and a socket wrench, that I removed from aircraft I was pre-flighting. Hydralic systems located near a stringer or decking seem to be favourite locations for lost ones. Only ever had one guy ask if I'd seen his tool. It'd been missing for about a week.

In keeping with the forum rules, my reply is roughly translated as;

:veryangry::thumbsdown::evil::uneasy::shifty::furious::mad::cussing::squint::(:annoyed::mean::sick::bash::hanged::rifle::smash::knife::disappointed::shame::bomb::argue::whip::toilet:.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
At my local Harbor Freight this morning there was a big stack of "25% of July 4th" coupons, so if you're thinking of buying anything big now would be the time.

As usual excluded are: compressors, jacks, tool chests and welders.

Also just noticed in my latest Eastwood catalog a 200A TIG welder for $900. (I paid $1,300 for my Miller 165A unit and felt I got a good deal.)

Back