So ya'll thought you could laugh at the micro tank

Out with the old (almost a year ago actually, 11mths or so since my friend made this guy)

tank1-1.jpg

In with the superiority tank (nb: patent pending on name :p )

12-14gal (will fill up when it's finished to figure out for certain)
-8 vent
-12 pickup
-10 return
1.5'' fill neck
1/2gal sump(!)
4'' diameter round tube through for the cables (what can I say, I figured bigger there made me feel happier :eek: )
Still need to add 2 more baffles to the inside, as well as a protective 'fat' tube around the pickup to minimize any chance of him cracking

tank1-2.jpg

tank2-2.jpg

tank3-3.jpg

tank4-3.jpg

The pickup is pretty trick - we basically converted a -12o-ring to -10an fitting into the pickup, so it pick ups with -12 and then necks down to -10.

I was initially going to run -10 feed -10 return, but now I'm only -10 to the pump, then from the pump to the carb -8, and a -8 return. (I had a very interesting discussion about fuel line sizing with Jim@Weldon ... learned a lot I didn't know before)

And then flowing through some aeromotive filter and a Weldon a1100 and Weldon regulator

fuelb2.jpg

(I realize mounting vertically, above fuel cell, is not usually ideal for pumps, but this one pulls > 26'' of mercury so can handle it like a champ....with that orientation it may not be able to handle its rated 1400hp, but I should be safe a few hundred hp below that, ehehehe)

Not chastising you for this, but since I'm late to the party I'm curious about the original logic behind the micro-tank. What was that all about?

Ron Earp

Admin
Gosh. I clearly don't have enough hardware in my car. I've only got a engine driven fuel pump and fuel cell, that is all, and my engine runs! To top it off a 12V system with circuit breakers and wires! I must be doing something wrong.

Not chastising you for this, but since I'm late to the party I'm curious about the original logic behind the micro-tank. What was that all about?

Initially I didn't want to run the cables through the transaxle so by chopping it in half and stopping before the mid-point it avoided that.

But then I ran into other problems - it had a side sump (not overly ideal) and the fittings were on the right side, but fuel setup on the passenger side. So a bit of a struggle to get everything over.

THen I figured as long as I pad and control the cables they should be okay going through the tank, so we could gain capacity back. And by top mounting everything it makes it easier to run my fuel.

Gosh. I clearly don't have enough hardware in my car. I've only got a engine driven fuel pump and fuel cell, that is all, and my engine runs! To top it off a 12V system with circuit breakers and wires! I must be doing something wrong.

That's okay, you just need some Alex re-re-re-re-re-re-engineering there to make it all good ;)

Pickup :thumbsup:

pickup.jpg

Once you realize you can weld stuff to AN fittings (or in my case, know somebody skilled enough to do it, heh), you can make all sorts of neat stuff. Obviously he'll have a support tube around him to prevent any fuel sloshing from ever causing him to break (unlikely since the sump will be baffled to the top as well, just not done yet)

So how many gears are left now that you have cut the 'Transaxle':thumbsup: in half

:laugh:

Obviously I mean tthrough the gas tank :p

Ron, That makes you eligible to join Barney Rubble Racing.

"Doing it like the dinosaurs did!"

Thanks for the idea again Howard- your design inspired me :heart::heart::heart:

alex, good idea, the bigger tank, your 502ci will guzzle it. I think i'm getting around 6mpg when i stomp on the 376ci. Where did you get that sender?

Kinda surprised that this tank is only 12-14 gallons. Guess it isn't as big as the pictures make it look.

I am building a cell that looks much like that, but it is 42 gallons. I have the mock up almost done. :)

Kinda surprised that this tank is only 12-14 gallons. Guess it isn't as big as the pictures make it look.

I am building a cell that looks much like that, but it is 42 gallons. I have the mock up almost done. :)

It is a bit deceptive. I havn't filled it up with water to measure the actual capacity yet, but i did a bit of guestimate-math (there's my wonderful actuarial education coming in - we'll just guess at things! =) )

The micro-tank was exactly half the size of the original tank. I could fill it with 8gal (roughly) before fuel came out the vent. And I had the vent on it placed at the highest point where the vent line could run backwards and up (i.e., it didn't have to slope down under the rear crossbrace and form a u-trap first .... assuming you vented at the top of the tank and found a way to vent outside the cockpit, capacity would have been larger)

This guy is twice the size of the microtank (8x2=16), plus a 1/2gal sump (16.5), the transaxle cable circle is 4'' round tube so that's got to remove some (16.5 - 1.5), and the top is before the vent on the old tank, so let's say that removes some (15-2), so I believe it's around 12-14gal.

:thumbsup: Nice work! :thumbsup:

Thanks Randy - wish I could take credit for the welding, but all I can do is for the design.....I don't think you guys want to see my attempts at welding :)

Last edited:
Back