Some General Questions - Prospective GT40 Owner

I'm a former (real) 427 Cobra owner, which was followed by a Pantera, a Ferrari, a Porsche, and (gasp!) a C5 'Vette. As a long term admirer of the GT40, I'm now about ready to scratch the itch with a replica, but first, a few questions. How are these cars for a day trip of 2-300 miles in warm weather? Are they particularly noisy and hot? What transaxles are preferred, and are any of them capable of handling > 450 lb. ft. of torque, since I like big, strong motors? Which of the replicas are closest in handling and track behavior to the real thing?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!

Marco,

First off, use the search feature. Many of your questions
have been answered in detail over the years.

But, for a quick answer:

If you really want that much torque (and you really don't need
it), a ZF, Porsche G50 family, or Quaife is necessary. Most
cars are built to take Renault or Audi transaxles, but they
will not handle that torque unless heavily modified.

As far as closest in handling - probably ERA or CAV. But, that's
not necessarily a good thing. Most of the replica manufacturers
have improved the handling over the original, so ERA and CAV
may not be the best in handling/track behavior.

If there is an option for AC, get it. The cars are hot without.
And yes, pretty noisy (the engine is right behind your head).
You can probably add/have soundproofing and insulation added
to your build, but I'm not sure how much it will help.

With a good build and AC, a 300 mi trip is very doable.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Lets see. First A/C is a must for warm climates. The cars are typically quite comfortable for long trips. Because of the low center of gravity, the suspension does not have to be very stiff to get excellent street handling with limited body roll. The rear visibility is worse then most cars, but with mirrors adjusted you get used to the view and it works well.

Transaxles to handle the torque would include the ZF (5 and 6 speed), the Quaife and the new Ford GT transaxle. Handling on these cars when prepared properly can be quite amazing. The CAV (as most of the replicas) use a trailing link setup similar to the original. The CAV has been upgraded in the front to permit larger foot box, etc. A CAV customer recently competed in the One Lap of America with a newly finished CAV. He finished in the top ten and was the highest finishing rookie.

I just got back from Michigan International Speedway (Shelby Convention) after a weekend of track driving. I really enjoyed the extra torque. I was able to cover the track in only three gears (2, 3, 4) from 40 to 145 MPH. Coming out of the slow speed corners in second gear was amazing. The cars following you quickly turn into small dots in the rear view mirror. I will be up at Virginia International Raceway the weekend of July 31. If you get a chance to come up I can give you a spin around the block. Call if you have questions concerning the CAV.

Hi Marco,

In addition to all of the above comments, you need to at the very least be driven in or drive one of these cars over a reasonable distance to make sure that you can "live" with one. Looking at the cars you have already owned - I am sure that you won't find it a problem.

Also, look around at the various manufacturers and consider (amongst other things) cost, quality (chassis and bodywork) past customer service history, amount of chassis sold, extent of warranty, accessibility of dealer and network and do your homework on this forum.

As has been said before, everyones favourite GT40 is the one on their drive! I am biased (as the UK RF representative) and so I think you should get in touch with Hershal Byrd, who's address you will find on this forum and ask him to show you an RF. It is an amazing car.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gary,

What are you running in your car? Transaxle? The car looks great on your web site. Any video you want to share?

[ QUOTE ]
The CAV (as most of the replicas) use a trailing link setup similar to the original. The CAV has been upgraded in the front to permit larger foot box, etc. A CAV customer recently competed in the One Lap of America with a newly finished CAV. He finished in the top ten and was the highest finishing rookie.

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies Gary, I guess I wasn't clear.

What I meant was, although CAV and ERA are closer to the
original design than the others, all are improvements over
the original as far as handling goes.

Ian

I understand why most people will automatically think that the newer replicas will handle better than the orginal 40, but after seeing a 289 originall with era(ie treaded) tires putting in the same lap times on the same day as a new (wont mention manufacturer) replica with new slicks and a 347 highly tuned motor I'd reckon that the handling on the original cars is better than many replicas - unless you get a good one. Many may be new but it doesnt automatically mean that they are better.

Driver input probably had a LOT to do with the times being the same,
not just handling characteristics. Most original GT40 racers are very experienced professionals.

[ QUOTE ]
Gary,

What are you running in your car? Transaxle? The car looks great on your web site. Any video you want to share?

[/ QUOTE ]

Engine is a 427W. Very nice running motor. Good throttle response and drivability considering the HP. Transaxle is a 5 speed ZF with custom ratios (tall). I did not have time to mount the inside video camera before Michigan, but will before VIR. Will post some clips after the weekend of July 31.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll take the suggestion to beg a ride in one before I pull the trigger.

BTW, I was at the Shelby convention as well, spending some time with old Cobra buds I hadn't seen much of since the 70s. I was actually one of 17 original members of that club, but backed out over some philosophical differences.It was the CAV cars in Michigan that got this whole thing started.

Marco,
If you are interesed in a CAV, Joseph's car is a good one to take a look at. He is in Lawrenceville, and I'm sure he would give you a demo ride. I am still building my DRB and I'm in Snellville ( everybody's somebody in S'ville, Diana of American Idol is my next door neighbor). Chip's Tornado should be here this summer I think. He's in Decatur and Barry Smith has an original in Athens. There are at least 2 more in the Atlanta area. one sees the track fairly regularly. Chip knows him. I am planning to go see Barry this weekend if my car is back from the painter's Friday (touchup stuff). Come on over any time.
Bill

As for driver input being the difference between the original on treaded tyres and the 'replica on new racing slicks the orginal was driven by an IT professional and the replica was driven by an experienced Porsche cup racer so I think that maybe the less body roll of the orignal through the corners was a bigger factor than the driver experience of the two drivers. If both are similar in skill it says quite a bit for the original to be running nearly a litre less capacity and less grippy tyres to be able to turn in the same lap times.

[ QUOTE ]
Gary,

How did the modifications to your cooling system work out? Any issues?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I had an issue which I am in the middle of diagnosing and will post a full report. I am finding out some very interesting things concerning a typical cooling system of this type. Info may help many who are sorting out cooling system issues.

Marco, you have a PM. You probably know Chip and don't realize it. He also has a cobra 427 and goes regularly to the Donuts and Derilicts on Saturdays and knows a lot of the local cobra guys.
Bill

Back