Spal Fan

Chuck

Supporter
Further research I found

" Derale Performance Adjustable Fan Controllers 16769 "

this controler has a range of 32 to 220 Degrees and is $34.97 at Summit.
The cons are it's not set up to run for a set time after engine shutoff .

Both could be used. Temp control would be set to shut it off under most conditions with an outside time limit determined by the timer relay.

Chuck,
I have my engine bay fans setup to run off of a manual switch, and the Waytex timer to continue running the fans for 3 minutes after engine shutdown. I plan to setup a thermostat but just haven't gotten around to it(one of many unfulfilled projects). Technically it works the same. I just went down and started the fans with power to the car(run mode). I don't have the engine running for now due to a non communication issue between my F.A.S.T. computers(engine management only). I flipped the fan switch on, and then turned only the fan switch off. The fans continued to run for three minutes, which I guess isn't a bad thing. I am guessing that if the thermostat clicked back on while the Waytex is engaged, it would continue to run the fans and reset the Waytex?? My switch does.

Bill

Michael Fling

Supporter
Both could be used. Temp control would be set to shut it off under most conditions with an outside time limit determined by the timer relay.

Can you clarify Chuck.. assuming I can get the fans pointed the correct direction, and assuming my car arrives... LOL x 2... The ISIS would provide power and the fans would come on with ignition. Then the fan shut off would occur with the Summit part and continued run time determined by the Waytek relay? :huh:

Chuck

Supporter
Michael

I have not studied the temperature switch referenced above, but my expectation is it would be wired between the Waytex timer relay and the fan relay. It should be a simple matter and no additional relay would be needed.

Looking at the wiring schematic attached to my prior post, the temp switch would be placed between terminal 30 from the Waytex and the separate relay connected to the fans.

The effect would be that the fans would continue to run after shut down until the temperature dropped to the preset level or the timer ran out, whichever occurs first.

Note the diagram includes a dash mounted switch to turn it off and on, but once turned on it will not go off until the preset time expires after the ignition is turned off. This was to give one the option of not running the fans - perhaps on a short drive on a winter day. With the temperature switch in the circuit the dash mounted switch may be redundant.

I can't comment on the use of ISIS since I don't use it. As one analyzes the wiring, two things to keep in mind. First, the Waytex will need a power source that is always hot and not turned off by the ignition, as will the relay that sends power to the fan. Second, consider switching the ground circuit rather than the positive circuit, as noted in the schematic. It can often simplify the system.

Finally, note that I added a second relay (Painless) which was not strictly necessary since the Waytex will handle the current. But this was for a practical reason: the Waytex relay is under the dash and the fans are in the rear and I did not want a high current wire traveling that distance. Keep the high power circuits short locating the fans and relay close by.

Hope this makes sense

Back