Spares register

That's a great idea but I think two weeks is way too short. I know e-Bay seem to have 1 week as a standard bid period but I think 3 months would be more appropriate for our stuff. After all parts don't move that quickly and if a potential buyer makes the odd fruitless call well so what, the seller should get fed up with calls and remove the sold item!

Yes, as we say here in OAKLAND (home of the RAIDERS!!) RIGHT ON
cool.gif

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya I put in 2 weeks more or less as a place holder. Whatever works best if fine by me. I would just like to keep it simple for whoever is going to admin the whole thing.

Ron Earp

Admin
Fellows, I could make a section or Forum here that only GTD people could access, if that helps.

But, my opinion is that if you folks want to sell the parts then it should be available to everyone, after all, when I'm selling something I want as many people possible to look at it. Thus, we have the GT40 for sale section.

Andrew, if you want to shut down a thread you can do it - just click "Close Topic" at the bottom.

Ron

Hello all again, Jsut to remind everyone that i do stock just about all GTD type parts
Most of my parts will fit most GT40, though were designed in the main to fit GTD, KVA etc. I am happy to supply details to anyone that requires, thoug there is a full parts list on my website www.gt40uk.com

If you are looking for used spares, I carry some parts, though like Paul Bearman has said, There are not so many people with parts spare. Usually parts only become spare when someone has upgraded. If you are lloking to build a car either buy one with as many parts as possible, or be prepared to spend countless hours searching for the right pieces. Thats honest advice.

However, specifically, i have been supplying parts for 16 years for GTD's and others. There are not many items i cannot cover, both in parts and advice. Hope this clarifies this section a little.

Best regards

Mark Sibley
MDA

I received the latest issue of the club magazine today. Is the Spares register now On-line?! There seem to be a link at the club website but not yet active.

Ron Earp

Admin
As I mentioned before, if the club likes an online forum can be created for GTD Club spares. Or, the main forum with stuff forsale can be used too. Or, we could split the main for sale forum into cars and parts so they are seperate. Anything is possible. Just seems like to me with the internet age a spares list or for sale section is much more timely than the magazine that gets out every quarter.

Hi Ron, I couldn't agree more. For some reason the club seems to be very protecive of its spares register, though I'm not too sure who this is meant to benefit. The most recent edition of the magazine didn't even carry any spares adverts at all. Good mag though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
If needed, as I mentioned before, the GTD Forum or a GTD Forum spares can be group written so only Group members can read it. Or read and write, lots of combinations. So, if the club wishes to be exclusive it can be even here on the forum.

Ron, your offer is great and it makes a lot of sense, too much sense for the GTD club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Jasper, I thought you knew by now?! To access the register you need to be a club member,,,,MAFIA that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron,
It seems that there is a quite well-defined need for an online GTD spares register, but if we only talk about it, I suggest not a lot is likely to happen.
Why not just do it and set one up? Use your own judgement about its format, we can always modify it later. The important thing is to get access to the spares as soon as they become available.
For my 2c worth, I would prefer a Members Only forum, but I can see the other side of the argument about the seller wanting to publicise his wares as widely as possible.
One question - are there many UK forum visitors and GT40 owners who AREN'T members of the GTD40 Club and the GT40 Enthusiasts Club?
This is not meant in any way to be a judgemental question, just wondering.

Ron Earp

Admin
Tony,

I can make it happen but if it is club related some big wig in the club needs to order it done I suppose. I can make it members only, but someone should decide that too - and I'd need a list of members and usernames to do that. Someone tell me what to do and we'll make it!

Gents,

We already have an online spares register. It's right here under our noses on this excellent forum.

Personally, when I advertise items for sale, I want to reach the widest audience possible & will post on the 'cars and parts for sale' section of the forum.

I guess if you want to restrict your audience to club members only thats up to you, but I know where I'll be placing my ads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
At the last AGM the committee membership changed a bit as shown in the latest club magazine which all UK members should have by now and overseas members will get shortly, Christmas post willing.

The previous post of Spares Secretary has not been replaced but the position is still an option for the committee. Do we need a spares secretary?

Frank is still active in the GT40 replica world and I am sure he would be happy to talk to any potential customer whether it is to buy, sell or have work done. He is a "free agent" who so also happens to be a club member.

The club has a spares page on its web site "under construction". Paul only has so much time on his hands and it is not fair for anyone to expect him to just knock out a interactive spares web page. He has, after all, just put together the last club mag and that can easily suck up nearly 100 hours of free time. Is a separate spares section for GTD members only a good thing? It will be discussed when the committee next get together.

In the meantime there is an excellent spares and for sale section on this forum that most likley gets the biggest readership of anywhere for GT40 replica bits and peices. Use that if you have anything for sale. It makes sense to me.

If anyone wishes to place an advert in the club magazine then please contact Paul, or indeed any other committee member, and request an ad to placed on your behalf. The sale of private spares (nearly wrote "parts" there!) is still very welcome. Commercial space can also be discussed if required. However it has been noted that the supply of second hand bits from club memebers is not as prolific as before. New spares from commercial sources yes but not second hand stuff. The old spares list was getting a bit static wich is something that is not a lot of good to anyone really.

Anyway gotta go now as work calls but hopefully this gives a little information to tide you over. Please continue to make comments (but no flame wars please) as feed back is useful to the club committee.

Malcolm

Hi Ron and All

Sorry for delay in responding but I'm now up to speed on the above thread/posts.

The position of Spares Secretary was dissolved at the AGM.

There was some thought of putting a spares section on our own club website, however I do not currently have the skillset (or time at present) to write the required code (honest at least!)

I do not personally see the requirement for an area 'dedicated' to GTD Memeber Only, If a person wants to sell an item, he would surely want the widest audience possible so it makes sense to have it with other parts for sale.

I would not have thought that whether a person is a club member or not should have any bearing on any possible sale(s) - we all have a common interest don't we??

It would make sense to have some sort of method of closing a sale thread if possible but to still leave it on system or in an archive of some sort, so that people can refer to earlier posts for pricing info etc.

Also remember that whilst the club is GTD in title, we welcome ALL quality (recognised) marques as members to the club.

Please also bear in mind that a web based system obviously only works for people who have internet access - I'm sure that many still don't and as such, if a member wants a private advert in a club magazine, I am happy to include it in an issue but as the mag is quarterly, it will not be the quickest sale method.

So..
Ron, however you prefer to manage such a system, please let me know and I'll add a link from the club website to the appropriate location -

I hope this satisfies all or as many persons as possible and clarifies the spares position.

Best regards and Seasons Greetings to all -
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
(GTD Magazine/Website Editor + Committee Member)

ps- one last thing - do not overlook the many existing suppliers available for spares, services and all things GT40 both UK and Worldwide - I will be posting again on this matter soon.

Back