Spec Miata For Sale - Go Racing Now!

Ron Earp

Admin
Admin privledge - it isn't a GT40 but I'm advertising it here anyhow! :)

--
1.6L 1990 SM for sale, one of the earliest, lightest chassis. Car was built by RTP Racing (third SM we've built) in 2005 primarily to run the 2005 VIR Charge of the Headlight Brigade enduro which it did flawlessly. Since then it has been used in regional SCCA competitions and the 2006 VIR Charge of the Headlight Brigade enduro. This Miata is race ready - honestly - it has decent tires on it, decent pads, current SCCA logbook and inspection, has just been aligned and has fluids changed (cooling, engine oil, transmission oil) and could be raced straightaway with no problem. Belts are current, weight is legal, it is ready to be raced.

This car has been a good SM and features:
  • Excellent Competition Cages custom cage (www.competitioncages.com) - no bolt in or poorly done weld in cage. Features NASCAR driver bars and 2007+ legal parallel passenger bars for those concerned about the "X" bars on the passenger side and tech inspection.
  • Fire bottle with T-pull in the dash, sprays into two locations, drivers area and cell area
  • G Force SFI approved harness, good for 3+ more years
  • Sparco seat, very comfortable, setup for drivers in the 5'7" to about 6'2" range
  • Koyo radiator with stock cooling fan still wired to stock ECU and with bypass switch - ECU can turn fan on and so can you
  • Mazda Comp LSD, installed by Carl Cason in the Southeast who is known for good LSD work - none of ours done by him has ever given up. LSD is one race old as the car had a viscous LSD up until August 2006.
  • Curved aluminum air intake with K&N filter
  • Pro-Race 2 wheels, in black, none bent, in decent shape
  • Adjustable links at all four roll bar corners
  • Removable steering wheel on 6 point hex boss
  • Two Autometer mechanical gauges, oil pressure and water temp, in the vents. Oil pressure needs to be hooked up with tee in block to maintain stock sender as well. All stock dash gauges work and are the early style analog type - that is, it really shows oil pressure.
  • Hour meter, car has just over 58 race hours on her (if you never used an hour meter in your race car get one)
  • Voltmeter and Air Fuel meter
  • Adjustable shift light
  • Carbotech brake pads installed with about 6 hours left on them (hour meter is very handy for figuring out how long things last!)
  • Properly wired throughout, kill switch, battery, etc. Also wired through relay for four 50W auxiliary lights for the enduro, lights are included
Car is completely legal and the engine is original and unopened. It does not smoke and runs well. The AFM was adjusted by RTP Racing on the dyno and is optimized, as is the timing. Car puts out right at 108 rwhp on a dynojet, with a little more possible with some exhaust/timing tuning. Transmission is smooth and shows no signs of failure, shifts smooth and crisply.

Damage to the car during it's racing career has been light. The car received damage in the 2006 VIR enduro where another car spun in front of it and this car hit the spinning car. Damage was the nose cone and the front right fender, a little on the left fender. Both the nose cone and right front fender were replaced, and the left fender repaired with a little paint and bondo by a body shop. Only remaining damage on car from races is a shallow dent in the left rear quarter panel but is not worth repairing, too light to worry about.

Has a new water pump (replaced as insurance for enduro) and alternator (replaced because of alternator failure during 2006 enduro), it received all new bushings in 2005 throughout, as well as new front bearing assemblies and ALL new brake calipers, all new water hoses. If fact, it had a new alternator in 2005 when built, but that alternator failed at like hour 51 during the second enduro so it has now another new one. Timing belt and tensioners replaced when built in 2005. Point is we built the car to last and replaced any parts that were suspect or could cause a race DNF.

Car is competitive and reliable, has run a best of 2:23.4 at VIR full course with a new SM driver (a UK driver racing in the US at the enduro and only two races with previous wheel to wheel experience, Malcom, ok, he is fast but he has to have a car to be fast!). There is more left in the car with driver and it is perfect proof you don't have to have a Race Engineering or Sunbelt motor to go fast, plenty of those cars don't turn 2:23s and have more power.

Also has a small spares package that goes with it including the following: the old calipers (working), a couple sets of old pads, old clutch, AFM, igniter, water pump (working), rotors (used but would get you through if needed), and some assorted water hoses that would work in a pinch. Not huge box of spares, but a few things that could help.

Also, one last thing but certainly not a small item - the car has a valid NC title and can be titled for street use. Just fab up a bolt on catalytic converter and get it inspected - all the lights etc. work and work fine. Having a car you can drive to an alignment shop etc. and not tow with the race trailer is a wonderful thing.

Located in Cary, NC. Contact Ron Earp at 919-949-5851 or [email protected] for more information. $11,800.

Attachments

• 43 RR.jpg
    43 RR.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2,825
  • quarter.JPG
    quarter.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 2,675
  • engine.JPG
    engine.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 2,852
  • 43attherock.jpg
    43attherock.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2,387
  • 2005endurostart.jpg
    2005endurostart.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 2,380
  • inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,983
  • TR8and43.jpg
    TR8and43.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,253
  • jools and malc with 43.JPG
    jools and malc with 43.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 2,283
  • Nov 2005 After 13 Hour #3.jpg
    Nov 2005 After 13 Hour #3.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 2,128
  • 39 and 43 at RR.jpg
    39 and 43 at RR.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,220
  • Miatafinished.JPG
    Miatafinished.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,463
  • side.JPG
    side.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,112
  • dash.JPG
    dash.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,486

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Chuck,

I'm not leaving SM really, I wasn't ever a real SM racer. I co-owned SMs mainly for endurance racing and as backups for our Improved Touring racers (260Z, Jensen Healey, TR8), but I was not a major SM racer. I think SM is a fantastic place to race though because the cars are reliable and one can focus on driving as opposed to working on your car, a la the aforementioned.

Right now I want to finish up a solid year of campaigning the Jensen Healey to say, "Yep, I did it", but I don't think the Jensen will be a contender for ITS, the class it races in. While doing that I want to build the RCR Lola up and try and run it in the 13 hr enduro for a overall win there - I think that is a contender there for sure.

So, to allow these activities I need some cash, and selling the SM is a way to get that money to keep on keeping on. I really hate to sell it because the cash won't go that far, but having a place to store it isn't so easy these days since my external garage never got built due to that little GT40 money thing that happened in March of this year.

If someone wishes to race SCCA or NASA, this is a fantastic way to do it on the cheap. Throw in a passenger seat instead of the ballast plate and you'd have a great Driver Ed car too.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey, if you'll buy and get it out of my driveway I'll do pretty much anything. Don't know about those other guys though.....

Attachments

• 100_1410.JPG
    100_1410.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 1,454
  • 100_1411.JPG
    100_1411.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,469
  • 100_1412.JPG
    100_1412.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,430
  • 100_1413.JPG
    100_1413.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,391
  • 100_1409.JPG
    100_1409.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 1,413

Malcolm

Supporter
Why is Jeff holding his tummy in?

As one of the guys who has driven this car, I am very sad that Ron has chosen to sell it as I think it could go even quicker than the times I got in it. If only I could get each corner right on the same lap.....

I can endorse what Ron has been saying above and believe it to be a great car.

Ron Earp

Admin
Someone asked for some cage pictures so here they are. The cage could use a repaint, but it is in good shape. Top is also afixed with metal brackets and bolts, the proper way, not welded or using the OEM fixtures as some SMs have done. The inside needs a bit of cleaning but we'll handle that next sunny day.

Ron

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,364
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 1,298
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,296
  • 4.JPG