SPF GT40 MKI P2164 for sale *SOLD*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Re: SPF GT40 MKI P2164 for sale

Jack, Aside from the fact if I had 125K much less 130 we"d be making the deal. I do have a Question though? You speak of the E brake problems and wheel bearings, I'm ignorant on these subjects. Can you enlighten me. Also mount or brace under transaxle? Thanks David

SPF had problems with the early models, there are some small screws that backed out on the E brake which in many cases locked up the rear tires. Its a simple fix with a small bolt and nylock nut. The wheel bearing issue seems to be hit and miss, I have never had a problem with wheel bearings and check them every time I service the car or before an open road race, my car was Dennis Olthoff's car so I'm sure he checked many things before pushing it on my trailer. There are electrical issue in the early cars also, being so limited in numbers most of these fixes have already been completed but I found and did mine early in SPF teething and think all the new cars have these problems ironed out, we will find out when a few of the new guys get their cars. As for the support under the transaxle, its just a extra brace so under hard acceleration it doesn't allow the transaxle to squat causing the headers to come in contact with the sway bar. The only thing holding the transaxle to the car is those two holes on the top plate. The neoprene bushings I found to have two much movement so I made mine solid, I plan on changing my motor mounts to solid also, its a smart move for a motor that make almost 600 ft lbs of torque.

I had two Bentleys at one time Cliff, a 47 and an all aluminum 54, I regret selling the 47, it was a fun old car with lots of luxury and the price I sold it for it was worth keeping.

Mike I drove a R8 yesterday, as the dealer (one of my good friends) said its Jekyll and Hyde, it feels like the car is driving it self, great breaks, loads of power and fantastic stereo, heated seats, cruise control and traction control. :) The jury is out on the R8 but really thinking 550 575 Maranello F1 is going to be my next car, I have more experience with Ferrari's than Audi's anyway.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

GT40: none. YET. Larry we can take care of this part. :)

Thanks!

Don't think for a nanosecond I'm not a-w-f-u-l-l-y tempted, Jack.

I think I posted somewhere/sometime in the past here on this board that there are three main 'issues' that have kept me from owning one: (1) as in your case, wifey. She is v-e-r-y uncomfortable in a '40 and has a deuce of a time getting in and out of one to boot, (2) '40s are claustrophobia-inducing lil' buggers for those who tend to be that way...and wifey and I both do (one doesn't 'sit in' a GT40...one wears it), and, (3) if a '40 tangles with anything larger than a humming bird in a 'head-on' situation (or darned near any other for that matter) while 'at speed'...well...you know... (And then there's the peace of mind one gets from knowing that a GT40's occupants sit right between 2 fuel tanks!)

All that said, I spent 1/2 an afternoon with Richard B. in his MKII a while back (not to mention his Daytona coupe!) and found out out that, in my own case anyway, the 'claus. problem' went away in fairly short order.

There's one other thing. I'm presently using a battering ram on '70' (as in 'years-old'). You said yourself a GT40 is a young man's car. Mike H. has told me the same thing. But, even knowing better, I still can't shake the desire to own one...and then here you go putting a huge carrot in front of my face.

DANG, that's a nice car...

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter

All the best to you on the sale, Jack. I understand your situation. My car just past 8.000 miles and my wife has no real interest in riding in it. But I sill enjoy the ability to drive a car that is so unique. I'll hold on to it for a few more years before I join my friends at Del Boca Vista.

My wife didn't like my GTD GT40 either but she didn't like any of my Cobras including my current one either! One nice thing about a GT40, when you are getting over the hill like a bunch of us, is a top and air condition especially if you are in Texas like me! Great looking car and can see it is meticulously taken care of.......

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

(1) as in your case, wifey. She is v-e-r-y uncomfortable in a '40 and has a deuce of a time getting in and out of one to boot, (2) '40s are claustrophobia-inducing lil' buggers for those who tend to be that way...and wifey and I both do (one doesn't 'sit in' a GT40...one wears it), and, (3) if a '40 tangles with anything larger than a humming bird in a 'head-on' situation (or darned near any other for that matter) while 'at speed'...well...you know... (And then there's the peace of mind one gets from knowing that a GT40's occupants sit right between 2 fuel tanks!)

QUOTE]

We had a customer interested at Watkins Glen a little while back. His wife was VERY hesitant and in fact would not even sit in the car. After some time we got her to climb in BUT she insisted we could not close the door as she claimed claustrophobia. And she said it was "too hot"....as it was very warm our GT owner offered to run the A/C for while. When the cabin had cooled down she reluctantly agreed to having the door closed. Eventually she agreed to a ride..............15 minutes later upon return she opened the door and exclaimed to her husband "WE GOTTA GET US ONE OF THESE!!!!" They now own a Superformance MK II 1046 clone..................

Moral? The test drive sells the product!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

..............15 minutes later upon return she opened the door and exclaimed to her husband "WE GOTTA GET US ONE OF THESE!!!!" They now own a Superformance MK II 1046 clone..................

Moral? The test drive sells the product!

'Have to admit it'd be nice if things could work out exactly that way 'round here...however...I know 'more gooder'.

(Buying a '40 wouldn't cause a divorce or anything - wifey really couldn't care less whether I bought one or not. She just wouldn't want to set foot in it, that's all. [She only got 'miffed' once when I decided to buy a DeLorean back in '81...but, I bought it anyway!]. So, I'd either be 'cruzin' alone in a '40...or I'd hafta take my 'mistress' along...an' I CAN see a problem stemming from going the latter route! :D)

(For the record, that "mistress" comment was pure horse feathers. That's muh story 'n' I'm stickin' TO it...)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Larry its a big decision and it NICE to have the other agree, my wife is just frighten of the car, I guess the noise more than anything besides she will not go anywhere with me over night as there is NO place for women stuff. I've got other cars she likes. :)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

...she will not go anywhere with me over night as there is NO place for women stuff.

There's a terrific invention called "FedEx" that I've discovered can work wonders in that department!

Wifey & I use it regularly now whenever we go anywhere. BOY does it save us a lot of time and effort messing around with such things. 'Best darned travel strategy I've come up with to date! :D ;)

Of course for "over nighters" there's always the 'chase car' option. :stunned:

Hey Jack,

I enjoyed meeting you & friends at the GT40 Reunion at Elkhart Lake several years ago. I was very impressed with your SPF GT40.
One of my friends has a 550 Maranello and loves it. Very comfortable, and I love the V12. Hard to beat for the price.
Good luck, and enjoy your next car.

Jack

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Hey Jack,

I enjoyed meeting you & friends at the GT40 Reunion at Elkhart Lake several years ago. I was very impressed with your SPF GT40.
One of my friends has a 550 Maranello and loves it. Very comfortable, and I love the V12. Hard to beat for the price.
Good luck, and enjoy your next car.

Jack

Jack where have you been?

I am in for part trade on a Pantera or Maranello. :thumbsup:

Jack,
Sorry you are getting rid of your beaautiful car. I too am pushing the age thing, and my wife isn't too thrilled about even getting into the 40 with me. Some time soon I will have to face the decision to sell also.
I have two questions I have been meaning to ask you. First what are you using for your backup camera and what screen are you using for it. Second, is your air cleaner/filter setup home made or is it comercial. If you built it I would be interwested in parts so I can duplicate it. I bought a lexan bending aperatus and started a build for the injectors, just never got around to finishing it. If commercial, would like the link. I know it is a long way off, but if for some reason it doesn't sell, are you going to try to make it to VIR in Sept.?

Bill

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

I still plan on VIR, I have sold anything yet. :)

I made and sold a few of lexan air cleaners on my cnc router, the lexan is .5 inch thick and still have a cad file "DXF" for the TWM throttle bodies I would be happy to send to you Bill, these would be pretty hard to make by hand if not impossible. The air filters are K&N and have the part number at the shop where I keep my cnc equipment. The air filters are resessed into the top and bottom .125 inch so there is a good seal, there is also a 3/8 NPT for your MAT sensor.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

How about a couple of interior shots just to really make my life 'mizzerbull'?

'Kinda curious as to where you located the 'camera monitor anyway!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Here you go, it needs a vacuum job. The car has only been washed with water about 5 times in its life, I did how ever get caught in a rain storm in TX one time and they are not made for wet traveling.

Attachments

• IMG_1809[1].jpg
    IMG_1809[1].jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_1808[1].jpg
    IMG_1808[1].jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_1807[1].jpg
    IMG_1807[1].jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_1806[1].jpg
    IMG_1806[1].jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 593

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! THERE 'tis! 'Can't be any more out-of-the-way than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back