SPF Wide Rear Shell?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I own SPF #2164 waiting on aluminum 427 with webers and the transaxle. Before I ordered the 427 I did a digital scan of the 4.6 cobra motor with a 3D digitizer, then laser cut some masonite pieces to see if it would fit into the engine compartment. It will not unless you cut the frame for the headers and still you must raise the engine. My choice of motors was the 4.6 cobra as I owned a lightning and like the drivability and the performance when you want it of the supercharger. I think you can make it fit but the destruction of the frame is not a good idea. I will be interested in how this will turn out. I can almost promise you the GT transaxle will not fit, unless you cut the rear deck and modify the frame that supports it. I good friend of mine told me from the start it wouldn't fit and once again he was right, so I am focusing on original stuff now.

going with a 4.6 and GT box seems an interesting exercise, and no doubt it is an excellent powertrain, however it also seems a poor choice for a GT40 reproduction. I would not even consider buying one when ford GT is available for not much more money these days. You made a great choice in the aluminum 427 with webers (windsor based I assume) with the only more desirable motor being an FE. There is no need to try and convert such a beautiful car into a modern contender, but I do understand the drivability issues with old tech.

Jack,

After seeing your avatar (and your name) I remembered that I met you in Monterey. I am in Winfield KS. and also have an LP400S. I was just in Eureka Springs for a car gathering about 4 weeks ago. We need to get together sometime. I am also looking at purchasing an SPF but am waiting to see their wide rear shell first. Are the trees starting to turn colors your direction?

Brian

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,

After seeing your avatar (and your name) I remembered that I met you in Monterey. I am in Winfield KS. and also have an LP400S. I was just in Eureka Springs for a car gathering about 4 weeks ago. We need to get together sometime. I am also looking at purchasing an SPF but am waiting to see their wide rear shell first. Are the trees starting to turn colors your direction?

Brian
I wish you could have gave me a call, you could have came by as we are not to far out of the way. No, the leaves are not changing yet, we have crazy weather just like the rest of the country. I would be happy to give you a tour of my collect of stuff. :) Shoot me a email at [email protected], I will save your email address and send you my contact numbers. We need to hook up. I left the LP400s at our home in Nor Cal. I figured it needs a couple tours of the coast before I bring it back.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Brian,

In Bill D's thread, you can see Fran's version of the Gulf flares as well as the wheels which were widened to 14" to accomodate the Avon rubber.

If that's not the Gulf look you're after that's one thing, but there is a choice from RCR.

And also if I remember correctly, the chassis Phil is building is a scratch build (but he can correct me if I am wrong).

Yes, I have been watching Bill's site very closely and is exactly the look I am after, especially with the wider wheels and big Avon tires set within the wide flares. His car is coming along very well and looks fantastic!

Brian

I recently received some photos of the gulf flared car at currently Ohltoff. The car looks fantastic. Unfortunately, my GT40 purchase has been delayed. 3 months ago I bought a Porsche GT3RS.

Back