St. Georges day

Keith

The Scots have their Day
The Welsh have their's too
The Irish go wild on theirs

But this is OURS

No apologies.. we're done with all of that :)

YouTube - HMS Pinafore - For he is an Englishman

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

Jerusalem-LastNightoftheProms06.flv video by hard11 - Photobucket

England20flag-XL-anim.gif

:)

Keith

Wot, isn't 'straya day good enough for ya?

Nah....

Interesting though, out of 55 million people ( pop of England that we KNOW about), only a few thousand will know what today is, and that's sad.

STG.jpg

(Thank you Mr Morton for the image - another rare Englishman that knows what day it is)

Mind you, in keeping with our "multi-cultural" touchy feely origins :laugh: St George is celebrated all over the world and some say he was originally Spanish, but all we know, he is called Georgie....... :)

How should we celebrate this? Traditionally? Like invading somwehere?

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Keith,
I hope that your estimate of a few thousand is wildly pessimistic, but if it is so, truly sad.
HTML:
Mind you, in keeping with our "multi-cultural" touchy feely origins :laugh: St George is celebrated all over the world and some say he was originally Spanish, but all we know, he is called Georgie....... :)

Are you trying to emulate Jeremy Clarkson here?

HTML:
How should we celebrate this? Traditionally? Like invading somwehere?

ooh, but I see some H&S issues there:worried:

I think we should celebrate by honouring the past and its heroes, so you moved me to get out my Book of English Verse and look for something cogent, and this hit the spot for me (despite its lumbering title).

I Think Continually Of Those Who Were Truly Great
Stephen Spender

I think continually of those who were truly great.
Who, from the womb, remembered the soul's history
Through corridors of light where the hours are suns
Endless and singing. Whose lovely ambition
Was that their lips, still touched with fire,
Should tell of the Spirit clothed from head to foot in song.
And who hoarded from the Spring branches
The desires falling across their bodies like blossoms.

What is precious is never to forget
The essential delight of the blood drawn from ageless springs
Breaking through rocks in worlds before our earth.
Never to deny its pleasure in the morning simple light
Nor its grave evening demand for love.
Never to allow gradually the traffic to smother
With noise and fog the flowering of the spirit.

Near the snow, near the sun, in the highest fields
See how these names are feted by the waving grass
And by the streamers of white cloud
And whispers of wind in the listening sky.
The names of those who in their lives fought for life
Who wore at their hearts the fire's center.
Born of the sun they traveled a short while towards the sun,
And left the vivid air signed with their honor.

regards
Dave

Keith

Dave! I'm truly impressed mate - especially from a Scotsman... :)

However :cry:

You blew with the American "English" spelling...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Sir Stephen Spender.

Father in law to Dame Edna and even quoted by American Presidents.
Truly a great wordsmith though sometimes went home on the other bus.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Keith,
see you jimmy!:laugh:

Can I redeem myself a little here? MY:) spelling is good. I did get out my book of verse, I did thumb through and scan the index looking for a suitable poem, and found it. Then, faced with the task of typing it in, I caved, googled it, and copied and pasted, never noticed the spelling as I already read it in my book.

Anyway, in penance I have corrected it as below.:embarassed:

I Think Continually Of Those Who Were Truly Great
Stephen Spender

I think continually of those who were truly great.
Who, from the womb, remembered the soul's history
Through corridors of light where the hours are suns,
Endless and singing. Whose lovely ambition
Was that their lips, still touched with fire,
Should tell of the Spirit clothed from head to foot in song.
And who hoarded from the Spring branches
The desires falling across their bodies like blossoms.

What is precious is never to forget
The essential delight of the blood drawn from ageless springs
Breaking through rocks in worlds before our earth.
Never to deny its pleasure in the morning simple light
Nor its grave evening demand for love.
Never to allow gradually the traffic to smother
With noise and fog the flowering of the spirit.

Near the snow, near the sun, in the highest fields
See how these names are fêted by the waving grass
And by the streamers of white cloud
And whispers of wind in the listening sky.
The names of those who in their lives fought for life
Who wore at their hearts the fire's centre.
Born of the sun they travelled a short while toward the sun,
And left the vivid air signed with their honour.

regards
Dave

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
New Telephone Greeting:
Wouldn't it be amazing, if this caught on,
All over the country...?

'GOOD MORNING, WELCOME TO THE ENGLAND '

'Press '1' if you speak English.'
'Press ''2'' to disconnect until you can

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
By Brendan Gallagher

martin_johnson2_1621842c.jpg

Top of the world: Martin Johnson lifts the rugby World Cup in 2003 Photo: CHRIS BARRY

We are spoiled rotten in this country, often without realising or appreciating it. If you violently disagree and want to afford top dog status to another nation, let's be hearing from you in but first consider what English sport and competitors have given us - and continue to give.
England is a packed Twickenham and whiskey nips on frosty afternoons and singing Abide with Me at Wembley. It is a Bobby Charlton piledriver, a Wally Hammond cover drive and Lawrence Dallaglio's tears as the national anthem plays.
<!-- BEFORE ACI -->

England is Wimbledon fortnight, Cowes Week and the Cheltenham Festival - all three the envy of the sporting world. It is the Boat Race and Henley, a packed Lord's on the first morning against Australia and a raucous Oval as the sun sets on another Ashes series.
It is the glorious London Marathon - the people's race - it is City v United, Liverpool v Everton and Arsenal tackling Spurs. It is Portsmouth going bust and still reaching the FA Cup final.
England is the Grand National, Red Rum, Bob Champion and Aldaniti. It is Desert Orchid. It is Lester Piggott. Royal Ascot, Glorious Goodwood and the Ebor meeting at York. The beer tent at Plumpton in January, the Cotswolds perfection of Badminton in May.
England is a sun dappled Bobby Moore on his colleagues' shoulders and Martin Johnson brandishing another World Cup. It is Seb Coe breasting the tape, Roger Bannister venturing into the unknown. It is David Hemery pouring over the hurdles in Mexico like none before and few after. "And who cares who came third?" uttered David Coleman. Actually it was John Sherwood. . . . of England!
England is Graham Hill's twitching moustache, Fran Cotton's Dan Dare Jaw, Gary Lineker's ears, Denis Compton's knees, David Beckham metatarsals, Jonny Wilkinson clasped hands and a Jessica Ennis smile.
England is the naughty boy charm and world beating talent of Barry Sheene, James Hunt and Jenson Button; the consumate all-round skill of John Surtees, the die hard aggression and racing instincts of Lewis Hamilton. It is Stirling Moss insisting that Mike Hawthorn be reinstated in second place in the 1958 Portuguese Grand Prix and then losing the world championship by one point to his fellow Englishman. Class, style, substance.
England is the peerless Coleman, Peter Allis, Harry Carpenter . . . and there goes Murray Walker as well. It is the poety of Arlott, the eloquent silences of Longhurst behind the mike and James Alexander Gordon reading the football results on a Saturday evening.
England is the matchless Ben Ainslie ruling the waves and Dame Ellen taking on the world. It is Becky Adlington powering down the final length, the massive talent of the dimunitive Tom Daley, Daley Thompson doing back flips of joy in the pole vault pit, Dame Kelly Holmes' look of wonder and Mark Cavendish tearing up the Champs Elysee and leaving the peloton for dead.
England is Mike Brearley out-thinking the opposition, Sir Ian outdrinking and outplaying the same. It is the English rose beauty and breathtaking ability of Lillian Board and Mary Rand and the glorious running of another dashing blonde. Richard Sharpe, as he dummied - not once, not twice but three times - for that famous try against Scotland.
England is Nick Faldo in the zone, the timeless perfection of Torvill and Dean, the gung-ho courage of Amy Williams. It is Jason Leonard sharing post-match pints with the opposition. It the effortless cool of modern pentathlete Dr Steph Cooke, the deceny of 'our Enry' and the enduring bravery of Michael Watson
England is golf in the snow at the Presidents Putter, Sunningdale in autumn, the world snooker championship and drama at the Crucible. And it is the thought, bordering on obsession, of finally winning the World Cup in cricket, sailing to victory in the America's Cup, Lee Westwood winning a major and above all else winning a penalty shoot-out that matters.
"This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England." Shakespeare probably was not thinking about sport at the time but his words ring ever true.

Plan to celebrate tomorrow at Twickenham tomorrow. London Wasps have moved the game against Bath. Proceeds to 'Help for Heroes'.

its also a must win game to take 4th place playoff place. Kick off 5.30pm, tickets available on the day, over 55,000 sold already. Sun, Song (land of Hope and glory and Jerusalem sung by a rugby crowd always fires you up!!!!)

I'll be the one drinking by the river, bitter or maybe cider, wearing rugby top supporting team, country and heroes and enjoying ENGALND in all its glory, if a day late.

Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more.......

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I got a flypast today - well - it was a solo flypast by a Chinook and came in from the west and turned through North onto a Southerly heading. I waved and he/ they temporarily almost hovered, flashed the landing and underslung lights and then started the turn onto North. I'm quite sure it was Russ Cripps, the guy who rescued the other Chinook crew during a spec ops trip in theatre that went wrong last year . He admits to using our house as a turning point regularly. A real St. Georges day treat.

Keith

I got a flypast today - well - it was a solo flypast by a Chinook and came in from the west and turned through North onto a Southerly heading. I waved and he/ they temporarily almost hovered, flashed the landing and underslung lights and then started the turn onto North. I'm quite sure it was Russ Cripps, the guy who rescued the other Chinook crew during a spec ops trip in theatre that went wrong last year . He admits to using our house as a turning point regularly. A real St. Georges day treat.

You got that right Dave. Nice one mate - Chinnooks are scary up close...

A few years ago I was boating in the Solent (as one does) when a friend, a BA Concorde pilot, did a low fly past in the Western Solent for the benefit of us classic boat owners. What a treat! I would add that Concorde did many private charters in addition to it's regular trans Atlantic routine, and many were flown out of Bournemouth (Hurn) quite close to us, because it has a significantly longer runway than most. (And probably cheaper landing fees)

Awesome...

Thanks to all the responses to St Georges Day, and now we look forward to Anzac time on Sunday.... :thumbsup:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Nice thought Dave, but you must know that me and me mates would never get past Stirling..... :)

Yea, that bridge is a bugger to get across isn't it, still, there's a nice pub this side of it anyway:)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Dave

Last edited:
Back