Steer Racks

I have been contemplating some changes in the front part of my chassis and was wondering what steer racks you gents were using. I am thinking from a mounting standpoint I will need a rack that clamps around the main tube, and not one with fixed mounts on the casting so that I can change rotational angle and mount higher without creating new mounts. Also making it easier to raise or lower a bit to resolve bumpsteer. Shaft size isn't a problem, but I would like a pretty quick rack, approx 2 1/2 to 3 turns. Inner tie rod pivots approx 28". Did a search but haven't found the particular info I need. I am sure there is some good info out there.
Thanks
Phil

Phil,
You may have a slim choice with a tube mount. Some of the others would have to chime in for that. I went with Flaming River. They have the quick ratios you are looking for. They moumnt to a flat plate though. I had to use the trial and error method for the mounting. Would mount to the plate using large C clamps. Then use a laser level mounted on the hub and a jack to set the bump steer. Came out with a measurement for the Corvette suspension of 3 1/2" above the frame to eliminate it. I am sure a plate could be fabed to mount off the tube for the rack. P M me and I can give you a better description of the setup and alignment if you are interested. I believe it is on my build thread DRB#5.

Bill

Bill
I think I have the same rack you may be using. I went with a Pinto rack and it works fine.
I am currently revamping the front end on a new chassis to gain among other things more footwell width, higher rack position and less interference with the steer shaft in the pedal area.
I also want to raise the rack quite a bit...lets say approx 3 1/2", to give a more direct shot to the column. I had anticipated taking the pinto rack and machining the cast end to take off the ears and create essentially a round tube to clamp around. Since the other end has a clamp already it should work, but if there is somethng easier to be found why re-invent the wheel?
Since it has been a while that I have seen a Flaming River catalog I will take your advice and check it out..I admit I didn't even think of that route. Thanks for the heads up.
Wrsexox
Thanks for that web site...some expensive looking stuff but really nice....I am downloading some of their PDF files for a look.
I will pass on any info I get in my endeavors
Cheers
Phil

Phil,
Go to this site, page 25. You will find what you need to mount the rack to the tubes. Don't trim the old mounts off until you resolve the bump steer. Then mount the other pieces and secure it. Will save a lot of frustration later.

http://www.chassisshop.com/

Bill

Back