Superformance Dealer Options 101

Hi guys, could use some advice on the various dealer options that come along with a SPF order. What is better bought 'a la carte' or installed myself/3rd party? Seems like some of these options are doable/steeply priced. Totally new to this so your guidance is appreciated.

- Headers/coated headers
- Trans cooler
- 427 install kit (guessing somewhat inherent to engine bay design?)
- Dynamat insulation
- Roller transportations and 'preparation'
- Tires....
- Other that I didn't list?

Thanks!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
OK,

A dealer answers:

1. You can have the headers coated for less than the quoted price.
  2. Do you need a trans cooler? Racing or street driving?
  3. Are you doing an "FE" install?
  4. You can do it for a quarter of the price.
  5. Where is the roller shipping to? That determines the cost.
  6. Some dealers include tires, some don't. If they are not Avon CR6ZZ, plan on them being nothing more than "slave" roll around tires.

Good info.

1. I was a little surprised to see the headers as an option. Would have thought that would be part of powertrain purchase, SPF makes them themselves?
2. Street mostly. Occasional track day to stretch its legs I imagine, not planning on racing.
3. Yes I'd like the FE block. Assuming the install kit is necessary for that.
4. Figured
5. Sounds like the powertrain supplier they use is in a different state so there's some extra transportation between locations for that. Looking like 2-4k in 'moving around' costs
6. I've seen some pictures in Hillbank's library of cars with Goodyears, are those Avons the go-to?

David Garton

Supporter
Otis, Great that you are doing your research prior to the purchase. From your questions looks like your leaning towards a MKII car. I am attaching a older previous question and answers to the questions that you might find very helpful. Also the search button at the top right hand is a great tool you can use and I find it helpful. Also when you find a post that is helpful you can add it to your watch list and you can always go to your watch section and it will be there for further use when you need it. Welcome to the forum you are at the right place with a great bunch of knowledgeable people willing to help. Here's the link to a good list of questions you might find helpful.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Good info.

1. I was a little surprised to see the headers as an option. Would have thought that would be part of powertrain purchase, SPF makes them themselves?
Yes, the headers are made at the Hi Tech factory. The headers are standard with the chassis, the price is for the ceramic coating, not the headers

2. Street mostly. Occasional track day to stretch its legs I imagine, not planning on racing.
3. Yes I'd like the FE block. Assuming the install kit is necessary for that. You can do the FE without the kit, it requires some sourcing and fabrication. I suggest you talk to Dennis Olhoff at Olthoff Racing or Merlin at Legendary Race Cars as they have extensive experience with FE powered GTs.
4. Figured
5. Sounds like the powertrain supplier they use is in a different state so there's some extra transportation between locations for that. Looking like 2-4k in 'moving around' costs Again, the roller can be shipped directly to some installers such as Olthoff Racing eliminating extra cost.
6. I've seen some pictures in Hillbank's library of cars with Goodyears, are those Avons the go-to? The Goodyears are not DOT legal street tires, some photos you see are Avons with "GOODYEAR" lettering kits, etc. For a MK II the 225/60F and 295/50R Avons most closely replicate the size and profile of the 1966 tires.
You are welcome to call and discuss your options. I have had two SPF MK IIs myself and have sold a pretty good number of them as well. Just ordered a 1046 clone for a customer that will be his second SPF GT40, but this one is for his wife. 716.812.3938

Yes I'd like the FE block. Assuming the install kit is necessary for that.

not sure about what SPF do, but on the originals, there was a different hump in the fire wall on the MK II in order to clear the FE water pump. I would also ask about the lower belt clearance area in the bottom 10" of the chassis. I have seen some cars that have room for an additional auxiliary drive belt and extra clearance on both the port and starboard sides of the chassis. If you are going to install AC this extra space if an option could be handy.

The MK IIs also had additional bracing at a number of locations around the engine bay. Again, I don't know if this is what they are talking about.

Back