Superlight Parking Bake

Ian Clark

Supporter
Well it started out simple enough, put together a big brake kit for the "Series 100" CAV GTs that are running 17" BRM or Hlibrand wheels.

In the beginning it looked like swapping out the stock 11.25 rotors for 13.00 Cobra Mustang rotors, same bolt pattern, very close backspacing and some lathe work to open up the center bore of the rotor to fit the CAV hub.

So far so good, new caliper mounting brackets were designed and waterjet cut, the upright jig modified to accept the new brackets at the correct offset height and we're off to the races, so to speak.

No doubt with the larger radius and more metal available to absorb heat, braking and fade resistance will improve, plus it really fills out those 17" rims! Great.

Then came the road going requirement of having a parking brake. Now it gets very interesting as the stock parking brake is designed for .81 rotors and maxed out at 1", we're at 1.25 with the 13" units.

To answer to the question nobody asked, a new parking brake mechanism was designed specifically for these cars. In keeping with CAV Canadas' goal of utilising as much of the hardware that comes with the car as possible, the new brake would have to be a bolt up part and use the stock parking brake cables.

The 3D drawing attached shows the new bracket assembly without the pivot pin, lever arm to caliper connecting link, caliper floating sleeves and caliper. Still you get the idea... We're expecting the waterjet parts early next week, more pics to follow.

The caliper of choice is an Airheart part, I like the period correct castings (very high quality too) the old name and logo which will be visible through the spokes of a BRM wheel.

It's been mentioned that these mechanical spot calipers can rattle so a clock spring will be fitted to retract the lever arm and stop the rattles.

What turns my crank about this parking brake kit is being able to use the cables supplied and fit a much lighter more functional part to the car. Weight savings should be several pounds per side, enough to compensate for the bigger rotors at least.

The new Parking Brake Kit comes with with the appropriate spacer between the caliper halves to accomodate stock 1" or 1.25" rotors, so you can use it on 11.25 bakes in 15" wheels as well. It's a direct bolt up onto the stock uprights or our steel uprights.

So the big brake kit took a back seat to the new parking brake as the total package had to be sorted out. The big brake kit requires new steel uprights front and rear which incorporate larger radius mounting tabs, plus the parking brake kit (unless it's a track car, parking brake delete).

Another performance upgrade for the Series 100 cars only, Autofutura having already fitted with the Wilwood equivalent to the newer cars.

Cheers

Attachments

• PARKINGBRAKE[3s].jpg
    PARKINGBRAKE[3s].jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 378
  • NewParkingBrakeBits1.jpg
    NewParkingBrakeBits1.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 435
Hi Ian,

Once again, nice work! Could your parking brake system be adaptable to fit on other makes? I for one would be interested as I am running a Wilwood system and 15 inch wheels.

Cheers

Chris

Back