The Brigade of Gurkhas

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
A Victory for democracy in the Commons today (Our seat of central government) when over 100 Labour MPs voted against the government over the Gurkha affair.
We should see a complete revision on the paper that Woolas produced earlier this week and I hope he has some better ideas by next Tuesday or he is yesterdays man. Which I hope for anyway. I'm about to send him an email to advise him on what he should do. The length of rope will be sent by DHL or Fedex straight away.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

<!-- x -->
<!-- end:title --><!-- x -->
<!-- end:header --><!-- start:centre --><!-- start:date -->Wednesday, 29th April 2009

<!-- end:date --><!-- start:story -->Gurkha victory is a victory for the House

James Forsyth 5:27pm
1_fullsize.jpg
Parliament has handed away too many of its powers in recent years and the behaviour of too many of its members have brought it into disrepute, but today it did the right thing in standing up for the rights of Gurkhas. To my mind, any Gurkha who served should have the right to live here if they so choose.
Watching PMQs today, you sensed that the House was girding itself to assert its authority. The tell-tale sign was the near silence from the Labour side as Gordon Brown attempted to defend the indefensible. His emphasis on how the country could not afford to allow the Gurkhas, people who had been prepared to put their lives on the line for this country, to settle here particularly grated.
One really does wonder about Brown’s political antennae that he didn’t see what an absolute PR and political disaster these mean-spirited proposals were going to be for the government. The test now is whether the Labour rebels will stand firm and vote the same way on a binding vote if the government continues to refuse to back down.
PS It says a painfully large amount about what is wrong with our culture that the first quarter of an hour of BBC News’ Five O’clock bulletin has been dominated by speculation about swine flu and not this vote.
PMQs? Pime Ministers Questions.

Hooray for Englishmen everywhere! Finally, the people are rising up for justice and equal representation. Its too much to hope for in our country for now. The special interests have us in a stranglehold. Good for you David.
Garry

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Letter to Philip Woolas :

Mr Woolas.

The Brigade of Gurkhas

I hope that the proceedings in the House today have proved to you that you have been wrong all along.
I think Bryan Forbes writing on the 25th in the Spectator said some very powerful things about the government you cling to. Perhaps you should read it.
I was tempted to send you an email with instructions on how to use the length of rope I was going to send to you with DHL but I thought better of it. You must have some redeeming features but after your email to me about the Brigade of Gurkhas it would be difficult to find even a single one.
Your time in office is now very limited as I'm sure you realise. Please let Gordon Brown know that this previously labour voting family have abandoned your party.

As Bryan Forbes said in his article:
One day the smouldering anger of the silent majority will ignite.

My best wishes for your future,

David Morton

Captain (Rtd)
Marchfield House,
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
SL7 3RZ

:furious:just read this whole topic and it makes me "embarassed" to be british!! stand up and fight!!! (ooh, sorry if i offend anyone!)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well, to steal Gordon Browns headline of tomorrow Thursday 21st.:
All the previous restrictions on members of the Brigade of Gurkhas and their immediate families settling here in the UK are to be lifted with immediate effect.
Well done Joanna Lumley - hold your head up high girl. You did it.
Now we need to get this decision backdated as well because there have been a whole load of decorated Gurkhas who were serving in theatres in the Falklands and middle east who have since retired after their 15 years and were sent back to Nepal.
Sorry - soon to be ex prime minister Brown - you had your chance and you employed a half whit called Woolas to do your bidding and he got it wrong big time.

Keith

Nice one David :thumbsup:.

Got a nice email from Joanna the other day:

"I will be in touch again in the near future with other ways you can help:
I hope you will be able to do so.
Finally - thank you again for your support. Together, we must finally right this wrong.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna Lumley

For the Gurkha Justice Campaign"

As far as I'm concerned the highest and noblest service one can give is to serve in the armed forces of a civilized country (Europe, north America, Aus/NZ, etc.). And, of this category, the noblest of all are the one who put their own necks on the line to help preserve the safety and security of others - not serving behind a desk or high office far away from threat of personal harm.

The brits are some of, if not the most, decent and civilized people in the world (some would argue "over civilized") so how in the hell could this abominable situation have occurred? Anyone who serves honorably and put themself in harms way should automatically have a right to stay and enjoy the land they served to protect....

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Cliff,
I could not add more to what you say.
My Dad had a Ghurka batman in India in 1946.
When my Dad was waiting for something to be delivered by an Indian Army depot and it was late, the sight of the Gurka turning up at their depot, put the 'willies' up them.
Needless to say, from then on, aero engines etc flowed freely.
Somewhere in his roof space, in a box, is the Kukri the guy presented to my Father when they parted.
Thanks David for being the facilitator to help my vote count.

Keith

How Cliff? Because the armed forces of the United Kingdom have always been treated like shite and most especially the Army. Canon fodder mate....

I had colleagues serve in Northern Ireland, and if they got hit, they would enjoy the best of care - until they got better. Then it was "hit the road Jack". And that would be that - cast adrift.... :thumbsdown:

A hearty "well done" to all of you in the UK that supported the Gurkhas. May your Kukri's always stay sharp...and firm :)

Back