Time to return a favour, 1969 GT40 # 1075 colours

Hi all,

based on information I got from the forum I was able to get the matching ICI references for the 1969 Le Mans winning GT40 #1075 Wyer car:
Berger #1125 Standard Triumph Powder Blue is ICI #8013
Berger #1456 Triumph Marigold is ICI #3393
I hope someone can use this info obtained through the BMIHT.
Also thanks to Rob Beddington for his help on the racing lights and Gary Gibbs for his reply.
The wiper information is my only remaining question,

Thanks from a happy modeller,
David

Hi David,
This subject must have been debated in the past! Like you, I obtained these ICI codes for painting my car in 1998(see display pic).The colours were made up by Autopaint and are very nice -but do NOT replicate 1075 or any other genuine Gulf for that matter. Undoubtably the blue tone/depth varied considerably from JWA car to JWA car, but the orange didn't-it was a sraight copy from the Gulf logo. The ICI blue appears a reasonable copy of the original(perhaps a little too strong) but the orange is a lot yellower - as I say, a nice colour but not correct (as can be seen as soon as you stick on the Gulf decals!)If you have some decals, I would recommend that you a sample of the paint to check the match. Best of luck, Richard.

Hi Richard,

thanks for your feedback and the car looks terrific. I hope mine to be as smart, be it 18 times smaller.
I started out of the blue on these colours and having received them through the BHMT I believed these to be correct matchings. I intended to use the orange ICI reference when ordering the custom-made decals, but as you say the former is wrong I don't really know what to take. I can get a actual Gulf sticker, would that be a good reference?
I do have some original magazines from that period, but these are worthless as colour printing was, to say at least, approximate in those days, if there were colour prints.

Regards,
David

Hi Martin,

excellent vector based (resolution free) files can be downloaded for free from these two sites:
www.brandsoftheworld.com
www.logotypes.ru
Just type Gulf in the search box. These are eps files, so any good signmaking shop can turn them into stickers of any desired size. Also, any Gulf petrol station has some stickers lying around, useful for colour check,

Hope this helps,
David Vanhoucke

Cheers David.

There are some other nice high resolution logos on the "brands of the world" site - Ford, Ford Racing, Edelbrock, Shelby, Quaife to name a few. Shame there's no Motorcraft or Autolite GT40 logo though. They appear to be in 'eps' format, ideal for creating your own full size decals.

David, be sure to post some images of the fruits of your labours when your model's completed. Then you can turn your attentions to the first three home in the 1966 Le Mans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rob

Unfortunately, no one is ever going to find the Holy Grail..
I.E. the definitive Gulf colours. As many of you are aware i have explained before about the colour variations but i,ll quickly go over them again.
Berger cellulose colours .. Triumph Powder Blue and Marigold.
Sprayed on in very light coats to save weight. Large variations in shading depending on natural light. Modern 2 pack finishes are more dense and colour retaining.
Do not be fooled into thinking that all Gulf stickers , decals are the correct colours. There are large variations in shading ,even now. I have original unused and out of light exposure stickers from 1968/9 as well as hundreds of the latest production runs (we gave enough away at the Autosport Show) and they all vary.
Exposure to daylight causes paint to fade and even though i used the identical paint on both the 40 and the 917 it is obvious what a few years exposure to the elements has done.
Identical but different.... even the stickers.

So don,t worry too much. My backers are,nt and they should know !!!!!

Regards,

Graham @ GTA/Gulf Racing.

Hi Rob,

your light pic is in the process of being turned into a very little piece, well three actually.
Yes, these logo sites are a real treasure, specially for me as a graphic designer.
Funny you talk about the Autolite sticker. Yes, that one is a real nightmare, just a little worse than the MARCHAL one.
The typography of the Autolite logo has changed and I managed to get hold the old format (Let me know if you're interested). The problem however is the small black and white chequered field with "something" in the middle, beneath it. I am in touch with Autolite to have this mystery solved. I hope they will give me something to work on. The most famous Autolite sticker with the roaring black-red GT40 is easily available, but of no use as it was made after the Le Mans victories, I believe.
The MARCHAL logo is the other nightmare. It is almost ready. My garage keeper took me yesterday to some car boxes at the rear of his garage. He knew I was looking for the cat face and he was very amused at seeing my amazement on opening the door. In front of me stood a genuine Renault Alpine Berlinette with all the original MARCHAL lights attached, and there are a lot, and the light covers in place. On them, the cat with "moustache", eyes and nose. These details disappeared on the later logo. He gave them to me to have them scanned, which I did. The text has been traced over a enlarged picture from a pit stop at the 1969 Le Mans race. In those times companies weren't as attentive as they are now about their corporate image. That MARCHAL text looked as being made as a one-off design.
The funniest logo was the Girling one. I found the correct typography on a Girling light ad box now used as a sign at the entrance of a ladies rest room... wicked minds.
Gary gave me top-notch pictures of the details I was looking for and now the artwork for the photo-etched parts is also almost ready.
Already a lot of fun with that project, thanks to you and the others, I'll keep you informed,

Bye,
David Vanhoucke

Hi Graham,

thanks for the reply. I'll settle with the codes I have. Like you said, the Holy Grail,

Bye,
David Vanhoucke

Hi again David

You might try [email protected] for details of the Autolite logos - he was selling sets of (full size) logos per the 1968/1969 Le Mans cars a couple of years ago. From memory, the Autolite logos were round, not the rectangular checker style, but I may be wrong.

Cheers

Rob

Hi David

Sorry, my last post was ambiguous. If I remember rightly, the decals on offer from [email protected] were the round ones, not the checker ones you were after (and which are correct). He was also missing the S.E.V. Marchal and Ferodo decals. He still may be worth a try.

Good luck.

Rob

Hi David,
I noticed you are living in Belgium.
If you want to sse the real color difference between the Gulf label color and the Triumph marigold,you can see it on my car based in Hoeilaart.there is clearly the yellish orange issue as told earlier.
You may have seen the car at the Auto Salon in Brussels (deginer stand).

Fred

MWGT40

Supporter
David,

Thanks for details of that site - extremely useful site to know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Martin

Hi Fred,

sure, I'd love to see the car and the colour. I haven't been able to go to the Auto Salon, but I knew there was a GT40. I'd love to see the car. Can you send me details of its exact location directly please. I have some time on hand next weekend,

Bye and thanks for the reply,
David

David,

Give me acall during the week. 075 838888 and we can arrange something.
I saw you are a graphic designer,I have a Camaro NASCAR of the 70ties I just bought in the Sates and would love to have a nice drawing.I will send you a pic.Could you help me?
Where are you located?
Rgds
Fred

Hi Fred,

thanks for the pic of your car, a real beauty. I'll give you a call this week.
I am mainly at work on CAD/CAM, so the drawing side of my job is a bit rusty,

Bye,
David

Back