Tires and Gulf Flairs

Guys,

Engine is coming in on Saturday. Time to start thinking about tires perhaps.

Am going to go with 17" wheels. Rear clip does have Gulf flairs. Engine will be strong having dyno'd at 508 FWHP.

Have used 315/35-17 Dunlop SP8000s on the Cobra (347 Coast stroker w 325 RWHP). They're a decent tire if a little hard.

How big a tire am I likely to be able to get under the car? What rim width would you recommend? and What is a good all around tire?

Thanks,

Its a pity that you can't find a tyre that'll look correct with that body.

35 profile tyres, IMO, look a little wrong.

You could have gone with 15" rims and used some historic rubber, though they are obviously not road legal.

You might find that Yokohama do a 315 in their A032R range. If so you have a semi competition tyre that's road legal.

Check out www.tirerack.com

You'll find all the tyres you could ever want!

Regards,

J.P

You have a fair number of choices with 17-inch wheels. You will be able to use 315 size tires at a minimum, possibly up to 335 if your suspension geometry and Gulf flares allow. You'll need 12- or 13-inch wheels. I'm using Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires on my RF in a 315/35/17 rear tire size.

I'm running 305/50 X 15 on my 40, I think the profile etc is IMHO one of the best compromises between looks, handling and ride comfort. - Heres a pic of how mine look on the car with gulf flares - got the tyres from GT40 Developments South Africa (BF Goodridge Radial T/A)

Attachments

• 40668-rearviewhigh.jpg
    40668-rearviewhigh.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 385
I have updated my website to include some shots from Monterey 2003 including 1075. You can compare the rear end of 1075 with those of the Blue CAV demonstrator. I think they agree quite well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Here are a couple of shots taken from slightly different angles:

Dsc_7420.jpg

101-0142_IMG.JPG

Back