Tony Marsh - RIP

I'm sorry to say I heard some very sad news today in that multiple HillClimb Champion and all round sportsman, Tony Marsh has sadly passed away.

He was widely known for his Hillclimb prowess, being instrumental in the design of the Gurston Down venue amongst others but had also excelled in many other disciplines including a Lemans Class win, Formula 2, F1 GP, Shooting, Yachting, flying and even Bob Ski... A man for all seasons.

His connections with the GTD40 Car Club go way back and he built and developed a GTD40 Mk11 - powered by a twin-turbo Rovercraft V8 that he'd previously run in a single seater. With 630+BHP and a Hewland transaxle it was a seriously quick car - achieving good results in the Brighton Speed Trials and also on the hills.

I'm sure we all wish his beloved and other family members and friends our deepest sympathy and condolences at this sad time.

Link to Gurston Latest News..

Deepest sympathy and condolences for the family. Another great sportsman has passed. He will be sadly missed.

Malcolm

Supporter
I had a number of good chats with Tony at Brighton Speed Trials and at Goodwood over the years. One year at a GTD factory track day the factory wanted to demonstarte what was a quick car and what was a really quick car. I got asked to have a drag race from the chicane at Goodwood against Tony when he was in one of his old F1 cars, me in my GTD. You kinda know who the loser will be here don't you! Anyway by the time he got to the point where the pit exit comes onto the circuit he was doing well over 120 mph and I was (as is normal) looking for gears! I did catch him up on Lavant Straight where we were then going side by side cruising at about 100 mph. We were meant to be on a slowing down lap and were not racing. Anyway it was an interesting thing to be going side by side with an F1 car at this speed. Then he floored it and just disappeared as though he went through a time warp! Very cool.

And remember his 135 mph plus terminal speeds over the quarter mile at Brighton in his GTD were acheived on road tyres! Ok he may have used traction control (you could see him over the lap top after each run adjusting the wheel slip %) but once he got traction that car could really fly.

A talented man who will be missed by the hill climbing fraternity.

Back