Tracking down my fathers original

Hello Gents. This is a bit of a long shot as I have no names, vrn, or present location for the car. Brief history.....

My father, Frank Penwright, owned an original GT40 many moons ago from (I think) 1986-1988. I was 5 years old, but remember him taking me out in it through the village like it yesterday. I am 29 now. I've been trying to track this thing down for the past 3 weeks using every resource available to me and it is proving fruitless as I have no pictures of the car, no past registrations, no chassis number and no names of former owners or current owners. All I know is the location when he had it and a rough idea of where it came from and where it went. Frank died a few years ago.
I'm tryng to locate it for personal reasons that might lead me to making a purchase. This is the brief history I know....

When my father had ownership it was located in Cookham village in Berkshire. He bought it from a very old gentleman that used to restore classic cars and race them occasionally.This guy had a small garage in Cookham where he used to restore the cars. This old fellow died leaving his widow with mounting debt. Frank new the family and bought it off her as she was the new owner as her husband had died. This was approx winter 1986. He owned it for maybe a year and 6 months before selling it (at a huge profit I remember him saying once) to an American businessman (who, I can remember, arrived looking very much like Dennis Farrina!). The car was white with the classic blue stripes. It had the multispoke/mesh wheels with the centre lock with 3 arms. It had black seats with the metal lined holes/perforations. I did have a picture of me standing infront of it when I was 5, but it was destroyed in Afghanistan (long story please do not ask). So, I know its a MASSIVE long shot and really quite ridiculous, but does anybody know of a white original GT40 that resided in Cookham in the 1980's? I would be hugely grateful if anybody could give me any info whatsoever that may lead to obtaining a chassis number or current owner/location.

Thankyou for your time gents!

Oliver Penwright.:thumbsup:

In Ronnie Spains book it refers P1005 as being sold to the Odney Motor co in Cookham village, but then states it was sold to a london photographer, no mention og your father. May or may not be the same car. Frank

Ron Earp

Admin
GT40 lineages are well-documented. Provided your father's name is Penwright I suspect someone will sort it out shortly. My chassis book is not with me today but I'm sure one of the other fellows will chime in.

Thankyou Gents. I have read the extract from Spain's book a few weeks ago. Unfortunately 1005 was in cookham 15 years too early and was destroyed in a fire before I was born! So that is most definitely not the car. I did however know the Odney motor company well but has long since been dissolved. Had an email from a local newspaper last night, they claim to have a picture of the car in their archives. At the time it was quite a spectacle to have a car like that in the village and the local paper ran a story according to the email. She is going to check the archives for me and email me any info. Hopefully I will be able to get a picture up here so you guys can try and identify it for me, which I'm sure someone will! The knowledge and info on here is unrivalled to any other GT40 forum I have encountered in the past few weeks.

Oliver

I've just seen this on the original forum. From what I can remember it looks identical. The only difference I think was the metal grill on in the middle of the engine cover was not painted white, it was a metal colour,and there were empty circles on it where race numbers should have been. Does anybody have any of the history on either this car (below) or the one in the last pic?

DSCF4791Small.jpg

CKL.jpg

Ollie

Can you remember if the side windows of your fathers car where exactly like the ones on this picture
DSCF4791Small.jpg

they are the MKIII tpye ones whith a much bigger opening and a "split" triangle in the front part.
If so the number of cars which had them where not much and could narrow down the pool.

TOM

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Is there a state or municipal registry of motor vehicles like we have in the USA, in the UK? Could they provide any information to you about this car? It would have the car's chassis number, if you could find it. In a small village, with the last name of the owner known, couldn't you find it that way?

Anyway, good luck on this, it's an interesting quest to say the least...

Back in the 80's we saw Safir MK V's being built. GT40 mkV - 1116 was a white with blue striped car. If it came through, I have attached a picture of it. It appears to have a steel colored plate over the engine. Also the 1967 MK IV Ford racecars had the slider type of side window opening as you mention. Anyone at any time could have changed the side window to a slider design too. So far, I have not found the name Frank Penwright in any of the GT 40 owners registries that I have access to.

Attachments

• fs_1116.jpeg
    fs_1116.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 360
Hello Gents. Sorry to resurect this from the dead.......

I have located a pic from my fathers 1980's business partner. I'm not so sure of its heritage now (not sure if it was indeed original). Looking for the forums expert advice please as to its authenticity. I remember a conversation my dad had with an engineer friend of his. They said the engine, box and some running gear was original. Was this used to build a replica? I have no idea. Please below for a pic.

Ollie

dfgsfg.jpg
[/IMG]

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Ollie,

Sorry to say I think that the car in the picture is an early KVA MkIII replica. It looks like it has a 'Q' registration. You may be able to trace it through the Enthusiasts Club from the registration. Tim Martin has a huge collection of pictures and information of their owners.

Brian.

Last edited:
I, your right gents. Thankyou for the swift responses! I always used to remember him complaining about it not cooling sufficiently in traffic on the way in to London. A kit car trait if ever there was one! Still love to know where it is now though. Were the KVA MKIII reps any good?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ollie

KVA was the first GT40 replica manufacturer.

The first iteraton of the brand was very agricultural with a heavy girder chassis and a Cortina front end steering and suspension welded in.

The later chassis was a lot better and more closely followed the suspension of the originals.

Ian

Back