Transaxle design

Just googled McKee transaxles and found a fair bit of info.This design was usrd in hemi powered canam cars as well as big ford and chevy powered brutes. The design can apparently handle the power that any small block ford will ever put out or most big blocks as well.All this led me to believe is that the road that I want to go down may not have as many curves as I originally thought.Now if that income tax cheque would just get here so I could pick up my stuff and commence work.

Well I got my income tax money and went and picked up my quick change rear end. After measuring and laying out the pieces i found that if I bolted the quickchange directly to the T5 bellhousingthat I came out at 14 inches from the bellhousing flange on the block. With a little work I can bring that down to twelve.If I take a steel scattershield then I believe that I can achieve 10 1/2 inches.I am goimg over to my buddies to measure up a c4 ford auto bellhousing and see if that will work better.
Because of the way that the bell housing on the auto bolts on I can spce the whole operation inward so that it uses the least amount of space possible.I may never achieve the 9 1/2 inches that you quoted but I have components that can handle 800hp in racing conditions.I will be moving this to a build forum as this is all going to be built into a complete Gt40 esque design. Because of my physical size a completely faithful repro is not feasable.But I think everone will be interested.I have some pics that will be coming.Oh and thanks for the info guys!

Hey Wedge. How are you getting on with your design? Perhaps you could put up a photo or 3. Im keen to see how you are doing this as it may well be an alternative to overpriced ZF's!

Hey Jmac what took you so long to get here.:laugh: I am going out today to acquire some aluminum plate and get further into this idea. Mostly weekends at the beginning and then when it becomes a sickness then
I can work on it in a Howard Hughes like fashion until I run out of places to store my urine. I will be putting this into a build forum most of the time but I will check on this powertrain forum every day as well.

Dont worry, Im a watchin, BTW are you aware that Speedway Eng make an open axle/IRS kit for their QChange rear ends ( includes -2 side plates/brgs/splined stub shafts/U-joint yokes/brg retainers. ). Choose someone other than HH for a role model-all that stored Urine plays havoc on your body chemistry:)

Back