Transaxle tech help

First off let me intro myself. I am a retired Vocational instructor from Tampa, Fla. I now reside back where I grew up in Branson, Mo. Where it gets cold! For about 15 years I have been making molds of Countach body parts. I have put together 4 cars so far. I have 2 left which are mine. I had to sell the others to pay for the making of 42 molds which make up the car. I use a BUNCH of original Lamborghini parts!! All curved (and twisted) glass from Lamborghini, lights, grills, rear view mirrors, ash trays, hand brake levers, hub caps, windshields, head light buckets, park lights, emblems, door hinges/ releases, and door locks, Wheel copies, tires, hood skins, rockers, latches, wiper units and arms and much more from Lamborghini. I worked for Exotic Car in Ft. Myers, Fla. I am not having any difficulty with the body fitments or construction. I have purchased over the years several transaxles hoping to find one that will work for my cars. I have used the early 911 with a Kennedy adapter/flywheel and clutch assy. (customer purchased and I never got to see or hear it run). Next was a Caddy Northstar engine/trans. unit. (I never got to drive it either it was wired and started in another state) Next was a Fierro auto/ engine unit. Never got it running and sold it too. A friend of mine a Ford engineer who bought a lot of my first parts from my molds had a ZF from a Pantara. I never could afford such.
Here's what I have:
1. 1986 Caddiliac front wheel drive auto assy.
2. 1970's 912 5 speed Porsche box
3. 1980's Getrag Fierro 5 speed box.
4. 1970's Audie 5 speed from a 2000??? It is a trans axle recommended by the owner of an Euro auto salvage in Ft. Myers. He thought it might work.
5. 3 1965 Corvair transaxles. One Crown bell-housing and aluminum flywheel. I have the linkage from the Crown set up.
Being a retired person am on a limited budget. I would like to finish my 2 cars before I am not able to work on them any more. I am wanting to use a 283 Chevy motor. I have aluminum heads, intake and an aluminum flywheel. And a 302 Chevy 1968 engine from a Camaro.
I NEED REAL help from people familiar with what I am trying to do here so that I will not stall this project any longer.
Thank you ever so much. Joe

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome, Joe!

Your Lambos are mid-engine, right? Transaxles are transaxles, they work the same in the GT40's, so you'll be right at home here. The technical forums have a lot of threads already indexed, so get happy with the search function and you'll be reading for the next.....well, it's been a long time, it seems!

You'd probably get better help on the 283/302Chevy issue elsewhere. Yeah, a few are using the newere LS series engines, but the GT40 was a Ford hero back in the racing days of the 1960s and you can guess what the engine of choice is around here.

However, there is an RCR product, the SL-C, that IIRC was specifically designed for a GM powertrain. We have a few builders online and most are using the LS series engines, too....transaxles is a different issue, lots of difference there!

Enjoy, stick around and get acquainted...

Cheers!

Doug

Joseph, I have re-read all your posts, I have a question, do you actually check back to see if there have ever been any replies because out of the four posts you have made I see I have made virtually identical replies to each one. I even found a similar post from about three years ago.... Yep your 64 & Im 62, we both need to get our A into G if were gonna get anything done..:)][/I][/I][/B]

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have a extra motor and transmission complete for a LP400s, the transmission is from an late model which had ZF gears and much better. The differencial is in the oil pan but separate from the engine oil. There is a tube which goes through the oil sump so the drive shaft from the transmission connects to the differencial.

Your only two hours from me, if your ever in NW Arkansas, give me a shout you can measure anything you want.

Attachments

• oil sump and rear end.JPG
    oil sump and rear end.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 184
  • block pic 3.JPG
    block pic 3.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 218

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Joseph, I have re-read all your posts, I have a question, do you actually check back to see if there have ever been any replies because out of the four posts you have made I see I have made virtually identical replies to each one. I even found a similar post from about three years ago.... Yep your 64 & Im 62, we both need to get our A into G if were gonna get anything done..:)][/I][/I][/B]

Lol... I did the same as you Jac... I hope Joe figures it out soon!!! Or maybe he just likes to be the new guy!

Joe,

Have a look at kitcentral.com there a few countach builders on there that might be able to help you source parts.

1. 1986 Caddiliac front wheel drive auto assy.

Which trans do you have, there are several fwd boxes that were used duing that time

2. 1970's 912 5 speed Porsche box

You will be able to get an adapter from kennedy engineering

3. 1980's Getrag Fierro 5 speed box.

There is an adapter available from V8Archie.com

4. 1970's Audie 5 speed from a 2000??? It is a trans axle recommended by the owner of an Euro auto salvage in Ft. Myers. He thought it might work.

Not to sure about this one, there should be some numbers on the box that will ID it, again kenedy would be the source for adapter.

5. 3 1965 Corvair transaxles. One Crown bell-housing and aluminum flywheel. I have the linkage from the Crown set up.

Sorry I cannot help you with this one, though I have heard that they were popular to us in VW conversions.

Back