Trip to Spa - Summer 2005

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Anyone within the motor racing fraternity would obviously agree, but it doesn't float everyone's boat. I have a friend who is heavily into cycling, so his list of famous Belgians is significantly different.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tony is contacting other clubs ie Jagiar, AM etc to make up the numbers to 70 cars and when the F1 calendar is published in December (and the trickledown effect of circuit availability is more known) the potential dates for this trip should then become more concise. IMHO it will rapidly fill up so if you are really trying to find somewhere to go in 2005 as part of the various -40 clubs (The GT Forty Club of Great Britiain ? [wouldn't that be nice])it may be appropriate to register your interest.
Now - I'm just going to buy some racing boots for this Karting event tomorrow - Some of those big CAT ones the builders use !!! I Knew a Belgian girl called Mireille years ago. She was quite famous on our Squadron. Does that count ?

David,

I hope you did not meet my wife before me....her name is Mireille....send me a pic!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Fred

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO it will rapidly fill up so if you are really trying to find somewhere to go in 2005 as part of the various -40 clubs (The GT Forty Club of Great Britiain ? [wouldn't that be nice])it may be appropriate to register your interest.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can I concur with what Dave has said?
The numbers are steadily increasing - what I need to know at this relatively early stage is the names of people interested in a Spa trip. Even if you are not certain of the dates you will be available, drop me a line at [email protected] and I'll put you on the list. Whether you want track time or not, it doesn't matter, still contact me.
In December, when I expect to be able to put a more detailed proposal of dates, events and prices together, I will be able to e-mail you first.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Maybe the trip could be organised under the banner of www.GT40s.com and people of this forum, from all around the world, could come along.....
I will be in Europe on holiday's mid next year and would love to come along, however I wonder if the "good lady wife" would mind too much if I packed the GT40 in with the rest of the luggage.....

Bill.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Bill, You have just cast the magic spell - what a great idea. I think there will be an abundance of many different cars and people going and if organised properly could rival anything 'french'. I'd love to see anybody from any -40 community around the world turning up and joining in. Magic....

Bill,
We are throwing the entry open to other car clubs, so it isn't exclusively for GT40EC or GTD Club members.
Anyone from the gt40s forum will be welcome. Why not organise yourself a seat and come along?

[ QUOTE ]
I belive the track record for a non racing car is held by a female taxi driver - you should see the taxi !!! She takes paying pax around the Nord and thats all she does for a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

That driver is Sabine Schmitz, and she's a very very fast lady indeed.
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/taxi.html

A lap costs 120 EUR for up to three people. Apparently booking well in advance is a must.

Recent pics plus one of the new ring taxi:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47437

Interview with Sabine:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39023

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
great information - thank you for that. I guess you would love to go around the Nordschlief in a performance car and I would as well. Ford Explorers do not really count. This planned trip to Spa and Nurburg just gets better all the time.
Dave M

Yes I really must plan a trip to take my car out there and show everyone just how slowly you can drive the Nordschlief in a fast car... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Coincidentally, Sabine featured on last night's Top Gear where she was very complimentary about Clarkson's driving (not). He's actually been round before as a passenger in her ring taxi (last year I think) but this time he was trying to manage a sub-ten minute lap in a diesel Jag.

Sorry for the slightly off-topic diversion btw!

Ian

Some years ago I drove my friends mothers Capri round the Nordschlief. We were on a camping holiday. All I can say is that it's a good job the Capri was easy to handle when sideways. A fast right is followed immediately by a sharp left just over a brow - you get the idea. By the end of the lap, all the camping pots and pans were dinted as was the side bodywork of the car, from the inside out!
I don't think I'd like to take my GT40 round, too much chance of damage, not only to the bodywork when I ran out of track (Note - I said when not if!), but also to the underside on all the changes of camber, bumps, yumps etc. If it was raining, I doubt very much if I'd get to the end of the lap, what hero's the race guys were!
One more point, keep your eye half on the rear view mirror. It doesn't matter how fast you think you are going, some race test driver in the latest machinery will be going twice as fast.

Regards

Dave Tickle

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
Can I take your car around instead of you doing it ? I'm a very slow driver. Really... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Dave M

Dave
Not blinkin' likely. I can see you have your fingers crossed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave T

Back