Trispinner removal tool

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good wheel spinner removal tool (non-hammer!) - for the halibrand type trispinner type. I really don't want to bang on the spinner with a lead hammer, particularly since I have quite deep inset wheels so getting a square-on impact is difficult.

I have a 4 foot breaker bar with a 3/4 inch socket fitting - is there anything out there that might fit this? I'm just about to start machining something out on my lathe and drill press if I can't find something already commercially available.

I searched on this topic and it looks like the last discussion was quite some time ago with not a ton of information/options available. Any help here is appreciated.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Here is a pic of one i took in France 2006 and, again, with it marked up with nominal sizes. It does seem a very complicated (and heavy) device for such a simple operation though.

Attachments

• Picture 216.jpg
    Picture 216.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 720
  • image216-mod.jpg
    image216-mod.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 751
Here's another option from Yurp.

OLDTIMERTOOLS.COM - The Tools

They make specialized tools for all sorts of wheel spinners. Although their website says the Cobra tool (which is what you'd use for a GT40) isn't ready yet, I learned about this site from a blurb in Classic & Sports Car magazine which showed the Cobra tool in the 'new products' section. So clearly they just haven't updated the website yet.

It appears to be of supreme quality, consisting of an aluminum base, with three super-hard plastic bits attached to it to act upon the ears of the spinner. (edit--here is a photo)

LMG3neu.jpg

Here's a direct link to the Cobra tool on their related online store site:

http://www.shop-016.de/Oldtimertools-p22h2s27-CHA-3.html

Because it's Yur-peen, it is pretty darn expensive though! :shocked:

Last edited by a moderator:

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Problem I can foresee with both of those is clearing the centre boss, to get low enough to mate onto the three spinner lugs.

this is a pic of what happens when an apprentice tyre fitter doesn't know which way to hit it!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• P3280102.jpg
    P3280102.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 965
Thank you. Great information and much appreciated.

Randy - thanks for the tip on the RaceLineAccessories spinner tool - just ordered one of those (along with about $1,000 worth of other stuff!).

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter

I have one of these, and it had a problem in that it may not be deep enough if you have a long knock flange coming out of the wheel. It also has only a spot for a bar to be slid through it no socket attachment, but will work ok otherwise. I think it was also too short for the wide rears rims to be of use.

Sandy

After seeing the prices on all those tools I decided a lead hammer looked pretty good. I seldom miss the spinner, and when I do the lead hammer does not mark the rim.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
How do you hammer a tri-wing spinner in a 14" wide rim? Not so good or I too would be using the lead hammer. Solution, ditch the tri-wing and get a nut. That is what I'm going to do.

Sandy

I have one of these, and it had a problem in that it may not be deep enough if you have a long knock flange coming out of the wheel. It also has only a spot for a bar to be slid through it no socket attachment, but will work ok otherwise. I think it was also too short for the wide rears rims to be of use.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy. I'll probably fit a boring bar into my lathe and bore out an inset to accommodate the threaded flange (might help to more positively locate the tool). And, was thinking about machining and fitting a 3/4" socket receiver to the outboard end somehow so that the thing will work on a deep set hub. Will post a pic when I've made these mods.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I was going to run it over to my friends machine shop and do a hex on back for a big socket. I think mine might be a bit different then the photo in that it has a bigger end for the side with the bar if that makes sense.

Hex nuts solve the problem ;-)

Mine looks like this...
attachment.php

The spinner removal tool I just received from Finish Line Accessories looks exactly the same as Sandy's. It has about a 5/8th's deep inset inside of the three slots machined in it in order to accommodate some excess threaded wheel hub which may extend out somewhat. Overall, a very nicely machined tool for the price!

I also would like to be able to use a long breaker bar with a socket attachment rather than a bar through the machined hole at the outboard end. I'll make a 1/4" circular steel plate to bolt onto the outboard face with a square cut into it for the breaker bar - the aluminum by itself won't stand up to the torque of the breaker bar socket head.

Good value for $150!

Bringing an old thread back to life--I saw a Cobra being sorted out using a knock-off spinner tool in Monterey; I was able to get a photo of the handle where the manufacturer was shown, then a Google search turned this up:

wheel_knocker.jpg

It is set up for a standard American hex nut; they had modified it by crudely welding a very large socket to the end, into which they had cut three slots to accommodate the three ears of the spinner. They confessed that it banged up the spinners a bit, but it certainly did the job.

Available here, with a possibly frightening price since they don't list it!

Weiland Racing Wheel Knocker

Note that they have zero inventory, which doesn't bode well either.

However, I did meet another fellow who had taken this idea to a new level. He has produced a similar tool but in a rather more elegant fashion, made it out of aluminum, and designed it so it can be taken apart and carried in the car. Pricy, but worth it, I think. He's a week or two away from having them ready for market; when they become available I'll let you know....

Back