Using An Enclosed Trailer

Hello everyone,

As of yet, I do not have a GT40, so I can not offer any comments on the enclosed trailer question for a 40.

However, I do have a Cobra, and the custom trailer that was made by the original owner for transporting it to and from race tracks.

The trailer does not have a side door. It is made to winch the car inside, so it requires some sighting of the car to get it to go in straight. The winch cable is attached to the frame by the steering bell crank area. In the front of the trailer, it has some wheel chokes for the front wheels to rest against, and just prior to getting it all the way inside, I hook up a rear strap to the rear of the frame that gets tight about the same time the fronts hit the wheel stops. The front wheel chokes also have side plates that are angled on both sides to straighten the fronts if they get a little crooked (think of a funnel).

I have towed my Cobra down to CA racetracks numerous times, and up to WA a few, all without any trouble.

Being a convertible, this probably does not help with the door opening issue with a 40, but it is a valid response to hooking a cable in the front, and a strap in the rear..........and it has never given me any trouble at all.

I do say that having a 40 inside the trailer backwards would distribute the weight better if you have a short trailer. Most of the trailers I have seen at the tracks are around 20-24 feet in length, so it gives a person alot of front to back area to get the weight issue in check.

Keep the comments coming. This is a very good topic.

Thanks,

Gary Kadrmas

I have a 28 ft enclosed trailer , no side door. I don't think it is needed. Once the car is lined up and the nose is in the trailer, you only have to winch it another 8 to 10 feet to get it where it needs to stay. It doesn't move more than a 1/2 inch either way. You can load it in nose or back first as long as the tongue weight is correct. I carry a lot of equipment and parts so I put it in nose first. Make sure to get some kind of sway control for the trailer especially if it is over 20 feet. I have put an extension on the door that makes loading a low ground clearance car really easy. No blocks or extra ramps needed. Take a look. Pit Pal Products - Detail
Bill

Malcolm

Supporter
I use tie straps around the wheels. On the 40 I strap around the spinners. I have seen people use special wheel nuts to tie down the cars with. They have a welded on U bolt to take a strap hook. Special items for the car but very effective.

Back