Valve Cover Breather Cap

I am putting my car back together in preparation for the IVA. Unfortunately, rocker cover breather caps are too deep and interfere with the closing of the rear clip. Does anyone know where you can get hold of narrow depth breather caps?
Thanks all
Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ford Racing has a pretty good selection and are even appropriately branded.. A lot depends on the type of valve cover you have and if the breather is a push on, quarter-turn or threaded style..

Here's a photo of my problem. I have push in breather vents and the size of the vent plus the valve cover means that the rear clip cannot close properly. The rear breather pushes up on the rear apron, and the furthest forward breather interferes with the underslung section of the rear clip?

I have searched for a smaller push in breather but so far no luck. Mine is around 35mm deep but I need significantly shallower. In the worst case I could replace the valve cover with a shallower one, but I dont want to go that route if I can help it.

Another option is to replace the breathers with caps, but that means no venting!

Any suggestions to my dilema greatly received.

Thanks
Ian

Attachments

• DSCF0663[1].jpg
    DSCF0663[1].jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF0664[1].jpg
    DSCF0664[1].jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCF0665[1].jpg
    DSCF0665[1].jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 274

Glenn B.

Lifetime Supporter
Have you tried flipping the valve covers to the opposing sides putting the vents in the front of the engine rather than the rear?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It looks like you have the type of breather that pushes into a rubber grommet. I would look into using an angle fitting of some sort to connect a hose which you can then route to a breather tank. There are numerous solutions, just need to find the one that looks good to you and works well for your engine.

Ian,
You have ultimately two choices. The first is to try something like this.

PC210052.jpg

For the other side(you only need one line) use the 710 cap:laugh:. It can be found at most auto parts shops.

PC210050.jpg

The second choice, looking at your pics it is hard to tell but you might need to drop your engine an inch or two. Looks like it is sitting high compared to my two pics, and is it sitting with the front of the engine high? If so it needs to be flattened out by using shorter front engine mounts. That might give you the distance you need. May just be a conceptual thing. Hard to tell.

Bill

That’s option occurred to me but the rear deck is already sprayed black as the rear glass is fitted. To fit a bulge, I'd have to respray the rear panel with the glass in place and that could be difficult to get a good paint finish later. I think maybe the remote catch can is the way to go.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
How about a different set of rocker covers?

Perhaps the "Cobra" ones which are less square and would thus allow the filler to be positioned at a different angle

Ian

I have finally decided to change the rocker cover instead of an oil catch can. I have the "tall" type rocker cover which is too big for the engine bay. Andy at Tornado is fabricating another batch of Gurney covers, so I'm ordering a set of these.
Thanks for the suggestions
Ian

Back