Water Separator

Keith

Hi guys, first off this is not GT40 related but concerns a modification I am undertaking to my on/off road machine.

I intend to replace the stock engine air intake system which picks up it's "fresh" air from between the wheelarch and inner lining (to prevent water ingress whilst wading = FAIL) without resorting to the ugly and pretentious 'snorkel' arrangement. For UK use it's simply not necessary unless you wade above hood level which I don't. In any event, despite the claims of a 'ram' air effect from the snorkel intake - it adds around 4' to the already extensive intake path. Snorkels were really designed for extreme Australian dust conditions not necessarily water.

For better efficiency with turbos it is better to get the intake as close as possible to the unit and so I intend to fit a NACA duct on the hood, with a 76mm hose outlet (very similar to NASCAR or V8 Supercar style rear window ducts) with a 'bonus' scoop fitted to force more air into the duct because of the relatively lower speeds I travel at as opposed to the true purpose of the design.

All this is simple to achieve, except, I need to install a system that will trap (rain) water and prevent it's passage into the air filter. I understand the principle of an air/oil separator but I'm anxious to devise a simple compact method which will not impede airflow.

The device has to fit between the 76mm hose outlet of the NACA duct and the 76mm inlet pipe of the sealed air filter box.

Your advice would be much appreciated - thanks.

Mods - if this is the wrong section please move it to appropriate place :)

Why not just source the air from the plenum area just in front of the w/screen if you dont 'never' go thru water any deeper.

Keith

Yes, I'd thought of a reverse scoop picking up air from the low pressure area in front of the windscreen but there is a rather large A>A intercooler scoop (stock) across the hood so another intake of that style would be a tad difficult. The scoop would have to be sealed to the intake to avoid engine heat issues.

The advantage of the NACA is that I can site it so that enough hose can be installed to allow for bonnet lift. If I could afford to shift the A>A I/C to a front mounted position (radiator) this would solve the issue entirely.

I haven't ruled out the reverse scoop idea but trying to avoid the result looking like an explosion in a scoop factory might be a tall order. I am definitely a 'less is more' stealth kind of person, which is why my machine is sprayed matt black.... via aerosol cans :)

Back