What oil are you all using?

For mostly street driving, I found the 20W-50 produced oil pressures that were too high especially at cold start. I use 10W-40 with a small can of STP oil treatment. This keeps the oil pressure from dropping once warm and maintains a moderate pressure that's not too high. I tried Lucas Oil additive but it did not seem to mix consistantly until everything was very warmed up.

Engine builder and crew chief Dick Mortiz (Funny Cars- same period as Garlits) once told me that STP was great as an assembly lube and for certain practical jokes decorum precludes repeating here. He did not, however, think it was a good idea to actually put it in your oil.

usually Schaeffer synthetic blend racing. have used it for many years. great stuff. my fords have all enjoyed it.

cheers,
rd

May I revive the Magnatec engine oil discussion?
Since Castrol rebranded Magnatec, they don't call the 10W/40 oil 'For Modern Engines' and the 15W/40 'For Conventional Engines' any more.
When the new oils came out, I contacted Castrol, who assured me that the old 15W/40 and the new 15W/40 are miscible without any problems. However, I have since found that 15W/40 Magnatec is becoming increasingly difficult to get hold of. And the price!
My question is - can we use the standard, and much easier to get hold of, 10W/40 oil?
Otherwise, what's the choice in UK, for an engine that has been running on Magnatec?
Tony

Howard Jones

Supporter
Tony, I do. 10W-40W. Oil cooler, remote filter (mobile one), canon 7 quart road race pan. Total oil in system 8.5 quarts. I've never seen the oil temp above 225F, even on a +100F air temp day. Normal running temp (track) with water at 170-200F is about 180-200F. Pressure is always above 50 and below 75 psi.

No problems ever.

Well,

Re: Magnatec:
The negatives seem to be in the area of noisy lifters. Here in Australia, the Magnatec is 15/40, same as UK, but when I installed Magnatec in my Ozzy Mitsubishi V6, guess what? I suddenly had noisy lifters until the engine is revved above 2000 rpm on startup. So, conclusions are that 15/40 is fine for UK but for Australia perhaps the viscosity of Castrol Magnatec should be 20W/50. Having said that, once the lifters have filled up, there is no more noise. Maybe Castrol are missing a trick down-under.

As for the dipstick, I can confirm that there is no magic dipstick, and they must be calibrated. I have ground two small nicks in mine, one for correct, and one for correct minus one litre, just to give me something to aim between!

Tony.

Mike Pass

Supporter
The 2 people I asked who are both V8 engine builders and regular users of engine dyno and rolling roads recommended I use Valvoline Racing oil in Ford small block motors (once run in) on both 302 and 347. So that's what's in my sump!
Cheers
Mike

Back