whats this motor???

Hi Guys,
New poster here. I have a motor with casting number C6FE 6015 A. Someone at Ford forums suggested that it was a 1966 Ford GT 40 motor. my fingers are crossed!!! Have I hit the jackpot? thanks, mark

Anything is possible, but I doubt anyone would seperate a GT40 from it's engine.

Your casting number breaks down as follows:

C6 = 1966

F = Outside US, T/A racing

E = Engine

A = 289/302 motor

Last edited:
thanks bill. The car came from the UK so the "outside US" makes sense. What does TA race mean? Is it a race specific motor, different from a std 289? What other things can I check to see if it's a gt40 motor?

thanks Bill, what am I looking for on the oil pan? Also, does the "F" mean foreign OR trans Am, or Foreign AND Trans AM?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,
You may have hit the jackpot as C6FE 289 blocks were used on early GT40s and Cobras.

What are the rotating part numbers ?
Does it have "RAC" stamps on any machined faces ?

The oil pan is still an out-shop part to this day and will not signify a true GT40 racing engine.

thanks Jim, what other part numbers should I be looking for and where can they be found. the motor is currently running but I can take it apart if need be. Thanks, mark

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

If the long block has it's original iron heads they should read C6FE also.
If they have been professionally ported for racing the shop name will probably be stamped on the heads.

Crank must be forged steel and part numbers may start SK or XE
Piston head part are SK 368666
Ford Indy rod part are SK 34375

These will by no means connect your engine to an original GT40 car, but if they are present you will have a very nice 289 racing engine.

I reckon that you must be getting quite a lot of personal mail by now.
Post a picture if you can.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
markg said:
thanks Jimmie, can I see the head part numbers by pulling the valve covers or do I have to pull the heads?

Mark,
See the photo of the numbering on the front of a C6FE head

Attachments

• C6FE HEADS08.jpg
    C6FE HEADS08.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 503

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
Greetings, -- I also have a C6FE-6015-A in awesome shape, will clean up at .020" overbore. -- I was going to use it for a project, but have gone in a different direction. - , now I have the block available as well as a C6 TA/Race balancer that is available -- would prefer they go to a good home, ---PM me with interests. I will put it up on ClubCobra as well -- Steve

Back