What's this noise?

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Why did the 4'' ALT pulley not hit before ( as its smaller in dia than fan it cannot hit side of engine bay sponson, so where was the contact?) Why did the engine position change??
Not something like fitting top x member of horseshoe back to front is it?

That's an awesome question Jac, and I spent a long time trying to figure out an answer before I gave up and went about rectifying it. When I reinstalled it, the motor settled into the position of contact. I re-positioned it to eliminate the contact but the way the engine mounts are, the motor could migrate over time. I didn't pay too close attention to that before- I just tightened it in there. I wanted it installed in a settled location, and it is now. I don't know what I did before- I may have jacked it around and leveled in and all that...

The RCR horseshoe is symmetrical, and I didn't even remove it from the trans when I took the motor out the first time.

The smaller pulley was done improve charge at lower motor speed. To move the alt in, all I would have needed was the shorter belt.

Chris

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Hey guys,

I thought I'd update this thread with what I believe to have been the issue. I had it running and making its noise, and I took the liberty of pinching off the tube feeding air from the valve cover into the base of the throttle and the noise went away and the idle settled down a bit. Then it dawned on me, I had no PCV valve and the noise was just air getting sucked through the hose, especially at idle under heavy vacuum.

After figuring this out, I ran out, picked up a valve and got it inline. This seemed to have addressed the problem, but leads me to more questions. I noticed when I shut it down that the crankcase was still under a bit of vacuum. I assume that is because I don't have a vent on either valve cover. I pulled the dipstick from its tube and the vacuum quit sucking...

When I put it together originally, I just connected the valve cover port to the throttle body port. So, now that I have 3000 miles on my car, I'm curious as to what exactly do I need to get this correct. I assume I should have a vent on the opposite side valve cover from the PCV feed. Anything else?

As always, thanks in advance for your support.

Chris

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Chris,

You're lucky you've not sucked in a oil pan or valve cover gasket - or worse - a cranshaft oil seal as I've seen happen in a few cases of insufficiently vented systems..
Yes, you should have a fresh air intake on the opposite side of the engine with a filter on it.

Back