Whats your favourite engine???

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
My favorite is also the weirdest engine I've ever seen...

The Napier Deltic

ptfengcutaway.jpg

ptfcrank.jpg

ptfphasing.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

Bore 5.125inches
Stroke 7.25 X 2inches
Swept Volume Total 5,384cubic inches
Swept Volume Effective 5,300cubic inches
Compression Ratio Nominal 19.26 to 1
Shaft HP - Maximum 2500 @ 2000 RPM
Shaft HP - Continuous 1875 @ 1700 RPM
Piston Speed @ 2000 rpm 2416 ft/min.

WEIGHT SUMMARY

Net Dry Weight - Engine 8727lbs
NDW - with reverse gear 10,500lbs
Power/Weight -Engine 3.5lbs/hpP/W with reverse gear 4.2lbs/hp

PHYSICAL DIMENSIONS

From the installation documentation, the following physical dimensions are illustrated:
Width 6' 2.5"
Height 7' 1"
Overall Length with reverse 10' 11''

MVC-361Sa.jpg

Here's a link to some animations of the engine...
Animation of a "Deltic" internal combusion engine

Laters,

Brian

Last edited:
I'm with Glen on the 'Busa V-8, but for now I'll go for any GM LS engine. Simple, cost effective, reliable and easily obtained 500HP.

Mike Pass

Supporter
My vote goes to the BRM V16. 1.5 litres 520bhp 12,500 rpm. Get the soundtrack of Nick Mason's car on You Tube - unearthly. I saw it run at Silverstone Classic a few years back. I was at the back of the stands and it was so loud I had to cover my ears! Nick Mason used to stop overtakers by pressing the loud pedal - not out accelerate them but to frighten them off with the noise.

OR

Honda 250cc 6 cylinder ridden by Mike Hailwood in the Isle of Man TT. 18,600 rpm way back in the sixties. You could hear it 2 miles away and it sounded like somone playing the organ very very loud. Once heard never forgotten - the wonders of megaphone exhausts.

Cheers
Mike

Bike engine I haven't owned :- works MV Agusta 750, heard and seen at the IOM TT in the Classic Parade

Bike engine I have owned :- pre unit Triumph T120 with original factory 'R' racekit

Bike engine I have worked on :- The above

Car engine I haven't owned :- Coventry Climax FWMV

Car engine I have owned :- Ford V8 302

Car engine I have worked on :- Aston Martin V8 5.3L, the Tadek Marek design.
I actually rebuilt it, and the IDA carbs, for free because the owner was a good friend who couldn't afford both parts and labour. Plus I just wanted it to live again :)

Automotive - 427 Ford high-riser
Motorcycle - 750cc Yamaha 4 cylinder 2 cycle GP engine
Aircraft - Pratt&Whitney R 1340 (Super Stearman)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
My first thoughts were the RR Merlin or the 917 flat 12, but then I remembered that day in Ontario California when I heard Chris Amon in the Matra V12, that is the most wonderful sound I have ever heard from a motor.

Back