When will they ever learn?

Plenty of people have been convicted with faulty DNA evidence. Once you "turn out the light" there is no chance to correct that.

I was under the impression that DNA evidence was quite conclusive. I wasn't aware that it is faulty. The chance of a DNA match being wrong is in numbers beyond my comprehension. I suppose as with any testing a human element enters the picture.

Help me out here, Al...and I don't mean that in any demeaning manner.

DNA could help prove that a particular person was present at the crime, but how many individual's DNA do you suppose was at the Oklahoma City site...must have been a thousand at least in that busy building.

DNA could have proven McVeigh had a hand in preparing the bomb(s)...it would have to have been on the remnants of the truck and its contents. Didn't prove he drove the truck there, though, that took other methods.

DNA can occasionally PROVE that a person committed rape, although I have heard of instances where vengeful women managed to gather DNA material to fake sexual assaults (yep, they are VERY few).

Other than that, I'm unsure what you mean about helping convict a criminal...do you mean proving that the person on trial is actually the defendant?

Yes! That's how the gentleman in TX was able to have his conviction overturned, some old trial material that had DNA on it. It was a rape/murder case, to the BEST of my recollection...:shy:

What I wonder is how, if they had the DNA all along, did they manage to convict the wrong person? Apparently, in this case, the person convicted was not even in the area where the crime occured when the crime was being committed.

I'd agree that DNA is very useful, and considering the forensic advancements in the past 20 years, I'm sure that 20 years from now we'll be able to do more than we even imagine now. I'm sure that the government is developing a DNA library of current prisoners, but what about us law abiding citicens? I, for one, prerfer my anonymnity, would rather the government NOT even have my fingerprints (I think ONE arm of the government has them, I'll not say which), much less my banking information or my DNA information, and particularly that the GPS function on my cell phone NOT know where I am at all moments.

I'm all for the guilty getting what they deserve, as long as we are sure they are guilty. Humans make mistakes....DNA can help and hinder....it IS a very confusing and scientifically complex area.

Cheers, Al....good to have you back on the board!

Doug

This forum must be like giving birth, you don't remember the pain until you're giving birth again.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Man wrongly convicted after a DNA mix-up awarded $1.5 million - Monday, July 25, 2011 | 10:05 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

What more will it take? After yet another DNA fiasco, the city needs to get serious about new crime lab | Editorial | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Among many others.

I was under the impression that DNA evidence was quite conclusive. I wasn't aware that it is faulty. The chance of a DNA match being wrong is in numbers beyond my comprehension. I suppose as with any testing a human element enters the picture.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I don't need to even read the one about the Houston PD forensic laboratory....backlogged on DNA for over a year and even perjury on the witness stand, IIRC.

At any rate, it WAS an embarrasment to all who lived here and when the perjuries were discovered, the PD had to rethink hundreds of cases and convictions.

As I understand it, all Houston PD "DNA" and other forensic tests are now done and redone by independent contractors.

IMHO, DNA evidence is often misused by prosecutors and defense attorneys, alike. I can see that defense attorneys could use the rather technical nature of DNA to cause jurors to feel doubtful about the evidence, or at least doubtful about their ability to understand and use it responsibly. I'd predict that results in more acquitals than convictions....but that's just MHO, YOMV.

Cheers from Doug!!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
The next big one to break quite possibly be Amanda Knox. The Italian police apparently totally screwed the pooch on the DNA testing, and two independent experts hired by the appellate court (civil law system) ripped the prosecution's testing to shreds.

I don't need to even read the one about the Houston PD forensic laboratory....backlogged on DNA for over a year and even perjury on the witness stand, IIRC.

At any rate, it WAS an embarrasment to all who lived here and when the perjuries were discovered, the PD had to rethink hundreds of cases and convictions.

As I understand it, all Houston PD "DNA" and other forensic tests are now done and redone by independent contractors.

IMHO, DNA evidence is often misused by prosecutors and defense attorneys, alike. I can see that defense attorneys could use the rather technical nature of DNA to cause jurors to feel doubtful about the evidence, or at least doubtful about their ability to understand and use it responsibly. I'd predict that results in more acquitals than convictions....but that's just MHO, YOMV.

Cheers from Doug!!

Back