Which Safety Wire Pliers?

Hi All,

I've recently dedided to purchase a set of safety wire pliers (sometimes called safety wire twisters). I stupidly figured that "they are all pretty much the same" and ordered an inexpensive ($26) set from Eastwood. The tool that showed up was coated in oil, suggesting that it will rust unless I pre-oil my hands for each use, and the locking mechanism wouldn't stay locked. I sent them back.

So now I'm looking for a "good" set of safety wire pliers. I have a lot of Craftsman hand tools because they are usually OK, and people who buy me christmas presents can always find a Sears. They have a set of two for about $100 here:

[url="http://www.sears.com/sr/java...ars.com/sr/javasr/product.d...00&tab=des#tabs [/url]

I'm not usually disappointed with Snap-On tools, and they have several to choose from, at about 2X the price of the Craftsman:

[url="http://buy1.snapon.com/catal...napon.com/catalog/item.asp?...ore&dir=catalog [/url]

Sears also sells S-K pliers for abpit the price of the Snap-On.

The local tool shops don't carry safety wire tools, so I can't just go down and take a look for myself. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks.

Garrett

DUDE, Sears sells tools online?

DOH, I have been having sears withdrawel for the six years I have lived out of the country! Every time I go to the states my baggage is overloaded from a trip "just to look" to sears.

You have made my day!!!!!

I have used the SK pliers for many years since my avionics time in the AF. Good basic tool that does what is advertised.

With that said as you can see from my earlier post I have never had an issue with sears tools.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Harbor freight has a pair which I and others have used without issue for years. Just bought a second pair because they were/are on sale. I believe the cost was $9.00.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I just ordered a pair from HF for $9.99 +shipping. I must admit to being skeptical, but they are SOOOOO much cheaper.

Dave, sorry to ruin your budget by exposing you to Sears.com!

Garrett

Sorry, haven't looked at this board in a few days. If the HF tool give's you a headache and you find yourself searching again - try these. I have a pair (the 9" I think) that worked absolutely flawlessly for my 2+ years at a race shop. They have all the things you want - they lock closed, they spin while you pull, it automatically retracts (many don't do this), and it cuts better then any other dikes I have! Very nice quality - this is a homebuilt aircraft supply website after all. Good luck.

Looks can be deceiving...

After viewing many pictures on the web, I can tell you that the HF tool looks VERY much like the Eastwood tool that I sent back, and those both look like the Craftsman and S-K tools. The only one that looks significantly different is the Snap-On, which has a larger barrel in between the handles, and a black knob instead of the common silver one.

Aircraft Spruce sells several versions of "Made in USA" Milbar safety wire twisters for ~$50, but also sells a "Foreign made" version for half price. Of course, all the pictures look the same and match the others.

[url="http://www.aircraftspruce.co...ftspruce.com/catalog/topages/wiretwisters.php [\url]

I'm assuming that all of these tools are not exactly the same, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to purchase a copy of each just to find out!

Garrett

PS - Chris, I see that you are in Portland, OR. I'm a Cascade Sports Car Club member--so I'm looking forward to seeing your home-built sports car out at the track running in A Sports Racer some day!

For most needs here I would say the cheaper ones will be fine for a good while. I use these tools every day, and I mean every day, at work (aircraft) and stand by bluepoint/snapon pliers. You can even get reversible ones , so you can loop the one wire so the rotation of the spiral keeps the loop better around the head of the fastener. This is handy in multiple point to point safeties. Otherwise you have to twist by hand in the backward direction on cheaper makes. regards, Dan

Hey - I got home and checked - I have Milbars and I got them from the Wick's link I posted (about 10 years ago though), but I can't say that's what they still sell. (I remember paying more then what they're posting now too, come to think about it.) I would assume Wick's and Aircraft Spruce sell the same thing, but it's looking like Dan would have the best info on this - working on aircraft. All I can say is that the Milbar's are great - very smooth.

Garrett - I am barely starting the project. I don't realistically expect to be done for 3 years or more. BUT, you bet I'll be at some of the driving events when I'm done. I'm moving outside the DEQ boundary too, so I have a time limit before Oregon changes their emissions laws. No more OBDII worries!

Howard Jones

Supporter
I have a T-3000 from aircraft spruce that I have used at work for many years. I bet I have used it 1000s and 1000s of times. Works very well with hard, sharp cutting edges and spring loaded retractor.

I paid something on the order of 15 bucks for it but even at the current $25ish price its a good value. Thats means its cheap AND it works AND it lasts.

I have a set of Williams too, and I dont think they were very much money and have held up well also. Sounds like you almost cant go wrong with any of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I have had two no name sets that the latching mechanism to clamp down on the wires broke, and one other set I was abusing,,, whole jaw broke off,dam my hands hurt when that happened,,, LOL

I received the HF tool in the mail this week. Here are my initial thoughts:

This pair is smaller than the Eastwood tool, probably better for tight places. A lot of companies sell a 6" and 8" version--the HF one is the 6".

On the good side, the latch at least works works. On the bad side, the latch is a bit difficult to operate, and the instructions say that the tool is made of "high carbon steel" and it was coated in oil like the Eastwood one. For 10 bucks, I'll keep this one and see how long it takes to rust in my insulated, but unheated shop. (I live in Oregon, and it doesn't really get cold here, but it doesn't really get dry here either!!) I assume I'll be buying some better ones before spring, but maybe not...

Garrett

Back