Who can cut crown and pinion gears?

Check out some of the Speedway guys that run Sprintcars or Super Mods in your area. They will mostly be running 10" QC rearends, these QC gears are 3.5" c to c distance on a 10 spline shaft & you can get just about any ratio you care to dream up. They hopefully will point you in the right direction to buy the gears by themselves ( or if you have become adept at scrounging maybe they will give you an old set--- DO look the gift horse in the mouth as they are in matched/numbered sets & you wouldnt be the first guy to get caught out with an 'odd' pair ) which are all you really need to get started. It can be done on a one of basis, one local 'opportunist' took one look at my project and went home to make an all steel version for himself simply because he has access to the tools reqd in his shop- its going to end up weighing heaps and will be longer than ideal along with a few other issues that he chose to ignore that will compromise his car, but he's happy and I am 'waaaay' past trying to point him in the right direction, there are some people on this planet that are beyond help!:)

Thanks Jac Mac, ive already sent some emails to clubs asking about notice boards and for sale items. Can get just the gears prity cheaply but its the housing that's scarce. Was there any transaxles that can be found in vehicles with quick change gears, ive seen a few on the after market seen but wasn't sure if any of the local cars may have had one or something similar, that i could cut off and weld a thick plate to. Also an engineers drawing would also be suffice as i found this:
eBay Motors: Frankland quick change center section (item 220258674567 end time Jul-24-08 17:50:46 PDT)
and it seems relatively simple so i could have it machined up from drawings.
thanks

Last edited:
Cannot think of any production cars that use any QC type gears that you could adapt the housing from. Making a housing is not a big deal if you have access to a decent size milling machine etc- however if your going to pay market rates for someone else to do all or any of the machine work your $1200.00 will evaporate real quick.

Some FWD 3liter Nissans have a pair of gears that are about 120mm c to c on the auto trans version where they drop down to the final drive pinion- these have a helical cut and a tooth count something like 41/42 so they dont repeat, but thats the only one I can think of .

If you dont want to change the ratio you could always use two of the larger spur gears from early VW Combi Hub Reduction for a 1/1 deal, doubt you would ever break those plus everyone would hear you coming & going:)

Jonesy, just in case your still interested--I noticed a Ring Gear & Pinion for sale on Ebay this morning-- Dana 44 out of the front diff of an F150 ford (1979) which is apparently cut for reverse rotation, if this is the case then it may be of use in your application. ratio was 3.5/1 and start price of USD$9.95. Have a close look at the pics to ensure its what you need. If this is the case then you should be able to obtain them in AU as they are sold there as well.

It may be a half hypoid and not a 3/4 hypoid like most Porsche boxes
3/4? Are you sure? Can anyone else verify that all G50 based gearboxes were a 3/4 hypoid and not a 1/4?

3/4 hypoid is almost a worm gear, no?

Last edited:
Back