Why?

I'm sure this has been asked/answered in the past but a recent thread about market values of our cars got me thinking about my own 40 and why I bought it.

When I was about 8 my mechanic dad started employing me in his automotive repair shop. My job was to clean the shop and put away all the tools after school. Alot of the ford parts my dad used came in boxes. These little boxes had a picture of a small sleek car on the side. I asked my dad what kind of car it was and would briefly explain to me that is was a GT40 and what/when they were. He was never really a fan of them, more of a hotrod guy, and at the time he was building/ driving a Chevy Vega with a 327 on a heavy dose of N20. Needless to say my feelings were different and I was in love with the shape on the box. Whenever I threw away a used and discarded box I would cut out the side with its picture and tape it to the back of bedroom door. Lets just say I was completely enamoured with its shape. Every line, every curve, every angle was perfect. It was simply the most beautiful object I had ever laid my eyes on. I learned about its history since they had already stopped racing. The love affair lasted for a couple years then slightly more important things started to occur....GIRLS.

Fast forward a couple of decades. I finally had a job that provided disposable income so I went to Reno NV to look into purchasing another type of iconic car, a cobra. Superformance was offering a quality replica so I went for a test drive and when I got back I walked into the salesman's office to order one and when I sat down I saw a picture of a MK1 B posted up on the wall behind him. When the salesman sat down I asked which one it was, thinking it was a picture of an original. He non-shalauntly replied, "It's a prototype of one of ours. We're gonna start building them soon." I immediately knew the cobra sale was going to be a no go and told the salesmen such then made a request. "When that's ready for sale call me." He never did.

Several years after that I had gotten into a C5 corvette and a heavily modified Buick Grand National. I was as at SEMA in Nevada and saw a silver MKII on display. This is the first time I had seen one in person and I actually felt week in the Knees. I think I actually broke in a run to get closer to the car. Now in my 30's I felt like I was 8 again. The rest is,well, my history.

These cars are bought/ owned based on emotion so please feel free to tell your story.

Rich.

Rich,

That's a nice background story, and makes for a logical progression of automotive interest leading you to being an owner of a GT40 today. GT40 folks are generally pretty unique and interesting people. Most folks on this forum don't do a run-of-the-mill 8 to 5 job, come home, and ride the couch every night while watching reruns and wiping out a six pack. Some of the most skilled engineers and craftsman around are on this forum, and actively working on the next best mouse trap with a keen and creative approach.

Like you, I grew up working in the garage with my dad. He didn't do it professionally, but he was an accomplished mech engineer with a bunch of patents and business success, and also a master mechanic after having spent much of his spare time working on and restoring cars of all sorts - everything from MGs and alfas to ferraris and porsches (not much yankee metal though). He also could rebuild a marine diesel in his sleep, build a beautiful wooden sailboat, and then spend the next month paragliding in Spain. Quite a remarkable guy. So, I grew up with a good teacher and I'm still learning, but have a broad base of mech skills to draw from. I have a modest sized lathe and milling machine, know how to weld, and have a great shop filled with three of every tool a guy could want. I can pretty much do it all, and for that I'm thankful.

After college, I spent 20+ years in business working my tail off and made some good money. I have a couple older f-cars in the garage and a p-car and some old bikes too. When I decided I wanted something a bit more extreme I looked at new lambos and ferraris and such but just couldn't get too excited about them because I disliked all the gadgetry and gizmos and complexity requiring a leash with the dealer. I saw an original GT40 at a vintage race weekend and though "holy smokes, that's for me" In about two seconds of driving around the web I realized that a $1MM+ car for street driving wasn't going to work and stumbled on some of the various GT40 replica manufacturers. Picked one and found a car that was available for a good price and went for it and she has been great - exactly what I was looking for: beautiful lines, simplicity, lots of grunt, and a dose of nostalgia. I only wish I'd been fortunate enough to have the time to build a kit, but have lived a bit vicariously through the skilled guys on this forum who have built their own cars.

I'm pretty confident that my GT40 will still be in my garage when I'm too old to go to the bathroom by myself or remember any of the details of how I acquired it....

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Great story Rich!

Needs pictures though.... So I thought I would help out!

I'd be willing to bet that your bedroom door was covered in pictures like these.. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DZ-122.jpg
    DZ-122.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 158
  • AutoliteGTbanner.jpg
    AutoliteGTbanner.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 161
  • gt40banner.jpg
    gt40banner.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 161
Many years ago, I spent some time with a gentleman that did full frame off restorations of the early Shelby Mustangs. One day we went to a car show and there it was. The GT40. It was the car that I had as a younger kid, but this one was much bigger than the one that said hot wheels on the bottom of it. I knew that I just had to have one. I certainly had no finiancial ability to purchase one and this included anything in kit form. I did look at one from New Zeland and just couldn't do it. Years later, my finances changed and in concert with the release of the new Ford GT. After several attempts to drive one let alone sit in one, I felt rejected by the dealerships. I started to look at other options. I happened to find my CAV used with no milage on it. It also didn't have anything sorted either. I have found great pleasure in tearing my car apart and making it better. I don't know if it will ever be totally sorted and in some sadistic way, I hope there will always be someting to improve on it.

Back