Windshield Wiper Failed

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I have an SPF Mk1, recently the windshield wiper stopped, I checked the fuse (it's ok) and per Lance (spf) in LA I checked and the wiper arm is attached and not moving freely.

Does anybody have ant thoughts?

Is the wiper moter access via the front clip or do I have to get to it from the dashboard side?

The car is still under warranty but if I can fix it fairly quickly I would rather go that route.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jim

Try a couple of things

Turn on ignition but not engine

Turn on wipers - can you hear the motor running?
Try on high speed too

No noise - probably a wiring problem - something come disconnected - check earth connection too and also connections to the switch

Noise but no movement
Something failed in the gearbox . bundy mechanism or even the wiper box

I cannot say where you will get access from but would presume lying on your back under the dash

Ian

Jim,
Check to see if the shaft moves with the blade removed. If it does your wheel box is damaged. Mine failed the first rain. Access is a bitch. Remove the nose and the master cylinder reservoir cover (left cowl). Pull the A/C unit to the side and pull the reservoirs out of the cowl area. Disconnect A/C duct hoses. The wiper motor has a body clamp with 1 bolt that has to be loosened and it is hard to reach. Unscrew the wiper shaft to body fixture. Unfasten wiper motor wiring. Pull wiper motor and wheel box assembly forward and out of chassis. Wheelbox is a British design used on several vintage cars with various different gears. Proper engagement of shaft gear and the spiral cable are critical. Even new units may need adjustment to get maximum engagement. Otherwise gears slip under load (with blade) and strip the gears out. I had my wheelbox in and out at least 4 or 5 times before I could get it to run right under load. Sorry I didn't take pics.

Back