ZF Internal Slave Cylinder

Are there any alternatives to the McLeod internal slave cylinders for a ZF? Some of the others like Tilton require bolting to the transaxle face which looks problematic. I rebuilt my Mcleod and it immediately leaked at the swivel fittings. I sent it back to McLeod for another rebuild. Drove it 25 miles and one of the cylinder seals blew out. Yes I have a clutch pedal stop and I set the initial clearance at .100". I may end up with an external slave, but want to know if anyone else makes an internal slave for the ZF.

The Mcleod in my Cobra failed at about 5K miles. I herd lots of similar complaints from other Cobra owners.

I'd go with Tilton. I plan on it when I get around to putting my GT together.

The McLeod in my Pantera lasted for 18 years, which is pretty phenomenal. It eventually developed a leak, coincident with an engine change. I failed to re-adjust it and the new flywheel may have been a different thickness from the new one, which changed the free space.

McLeod completely rebuilt it for free, replaced the $80 bearing for free, and shipped it back to me for free, so I sure can't complain about that! The rebuilt unit has worked perfectly although I've only driven the car a few times since.

Having said all that, if I was starting from scratch I would certainly opt for an external slave cylinder, just for ease of maintenance if nothing else.

The Mcleod in my Cobra failed at about 5K miles. I herd lots of similar complaints from other Cobra owners.

I'd go with Tilton. I plan on it when I get around to putting my GT together.

Thanks for the feedback on McLeod. I like Tilton quality, but don't think it would work with a ZF. Tilton internal cylinders are too tall and need to be bolted into the transaxle face which isn't flat on a ZF. I'd like to know if anyone has done an internal slave other than McLeod.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I had this item removed before we ever ran the car and had an external hydraulic release system installed. It can leak (which is highly unlikely) but it can't leak inside. Call Dennis Quella at Pantera Performance in Colorado.

FWIW, when I ordered my Kirkham Cobra I had planned to have a McLeod HRB installed. They advised me not to, and came up with an external system. No trouble ever, and clutch works perfectly.

Back