ZF questions

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Thanks Jac Mac. Will do. As far as I can ascertain, the preload and engagement are the same as they were before I flipped it.

Cheers,

Brian.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
First picture shows established wear pattern on the drive side. In second picture I have marked one pinion tooth and this is the result when it meshes with the ring gear tooth, drive side. Any opinions welcome.

Attachments

• Old.jpg
    Old.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 238
  • New.jpg
    New.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 249
Are you applying a load to the ring gear when you turn the pinion to achieve these markings on the drive side and to get the coast marking turn the ring gear while holding the pinion to simulate the appropriate load?

The crown wheel has been flipped and side flanges are on. I have ended up with a crown wheel to pinion clearance of 0.16mm (0.0063"). I blued the teeth and get a mark just over halfway down the tooth, as in the the picture below. The various manuals and references I have recommend a lash of between 0.15mm and 0.25mm, depending on which one you read. The ERA manual says the correct lash is engraved on the crown wheel. The numbers on my crown wheel are as below. Can I leave my lash at 0.16mm or should I change it? Easy enough to do by playing around with the shims.

Brian the number etched on the crownwheel is normally an indication of a +or- number to be applied to the pinion depth relevant to a stock figure. This happens during manufacture to compensate for machining tolerances. As you have not touched the pinion depth all you need is the clearance for correct backlash. At .16 it sounds like your in middle ground.

Bob

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Thanks Bob. With load on the crown wheel, the contact patch is larger (picture one). The second picture is 'coast' with load on the pinion. What do you think Jac Mac?

Attachments

• Drive.jpg
    Drive.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 230
  • Coast.jpg
    Coast.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 228
Pinion needs to go a bit deeper ( moved forward toward ring gear center ), not a lot , would try something like 0.002" for a start, remember you have to allow for heat-load- and a bit of initial case movement after the flip so you dont want to get a dye contact pattern that is as large as the tooth wear pattern.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Thanks Jac Mac. I'll buy you a beer next time I'm through Gore.

".............. watches and reads with interest, as I have a BMW M1 box that Im about to flip the ring gear to Pantera-type configuration."

Back