ZF vs. Quiafe

Wanni,
In this case "hijacking" was taking a discussion comparing two specific parts and someone (you) jumping in offering a third part to be considered.

Generally it means someone has taken the original discussion and changed its course to something different.
Think of it as an airplane. Everyone on the plane wants to fly to London but you decide to hijack it and take them Rome instead. Rome might be a great place to visit, but everyone on the plane wanted to go to London.

Many thank,
if I have properly understood, in Italian this means DIROTTAMENTO.
Unlegal change of a planed route......correct?
Like terrorist are doing....sometimes.
Confirm, please.
Apologise but at the Miami supermarket, I could not find this word.
But, if I am allowed to criticise this policy in a funny way.....America is usualy ( in any great movie ) the country of the heroes who are getting in the game to put back the things how the majority wants.....in this case it is a bit of contradiction.......or I am a movie dreamer.
But I love Rambo, the italian stallion and the California governator as well.
I must fly down from my trip.
Ciao and grazie.
This is another prouve that it is not a free forum....to my eyes.
Regards from the country of freedom.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry I missed this the other day.

Wanni, the forum is free. You can post what you wish, when you wish. But you need to quit hijacking threads. While there are no "rules" against hijacking, it is bad form to hijack threads. I'm sure that forum members like having you on the forum and the members will like you even better for exhibiting some control and understanding of forum etiquette. If you'd like to discuss the ZF/ZFQ versus another box please make a new thread.

Thanks for the understanding.

Ron

Guys,

To be honest I don't mind Wanni doing his little FUD games. It's made my choice easy - I will simply not deal with a person/company that engages in such poor behavior. So I thank Wanni for showing his true colors to allow me to make the right decision - which is to not purchase GearFox products.

JW

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
So JW...... What you are saying is that if you didn't like Chris's approach to publicising his transaxle then you would also not buy a ZFQ? When one lets emotion cloud a technical decision there is only one loser. Wanni thought he was posting in a neutral (ie non manufacturers) thread, he's still struggling with foreign customs and conventions. IMHO we should try to help him rather than vilify him, he brings a lot of transaxle tech and experience to this forum which is possibly only matched by a small handful of other members. That said, I did like Scott's hijack analogy. Very well thought out Scott, and should help steer Wanni in the right direction. Cheers

Last edited:

MWGT40

Supporter
I originally had the Renault Box with Quaife internals and then switched to a ZF. The ZF has proved great and I am very pleased with it. I went for the ZF because of originality and, in competition in the UK, it has proven very reliable compared to the other boxes that are commonly used.

That having been said, I think that the ZFQ will prove a very good alternative given the supply issues with ZFs at the moment.

Wanni

this is called thread hijacking.

read the thread title, ZF vs. Quaife.

regards

Chris.

Yes but the Quiafe that the original poster was referring to was not your box. So it’s rather amusing that you “hijacked” the thread and then rip on Wanni for doing the same thing you just did.

The original point was should he wait for the zf or get a Quaife that is available now. His car will be done in a month and because your box isn’t available now it has nothing to do with the 2 choices that this forum was about. In fact (unless I’m mistaken) Wannis box is available now so it has more to do with the original posters dilemma then yours does.

Now for the record I don’t think that you hijacked the thread and nor do I think that Wanni hijacked the thread either. The poster had questions about transaxles and you gave information about another option just like Wanni did. Wanni did nothing wrong in this thread and doesn’t deserve to be flamed for something you just did yourself.

Now I understand that he hijacked your manufacture announcement thread and I think that was in very poor taste, and in that case he deserved the ridicule, but this is not the case here.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Ford ran the ZF's only in the Mark I's with the 289 small-block at a rated 380 bhp. (The 485-500 bhp Mark II's and IV's had the Kar Kraft T44 transaxle. This should tell you something.) I would agree with Mr. Smith in that since you won't be running a "period" engine in your Mark I, I wouldn't worry about not running a "period" transaxle.
They only went to the ZF's after the original Colotti(sp) failed miserably if I recall. I agree about the originality aspect. Wasn't there supposed to be someone making repo T44s? I thought that's what was being put forth by SPF at the time they released the GT40.

To DBLDREW

First of all this thread is not about hijacking threads.

Kim Petersen the originator of this thread was referring to the conversation which he had with Dennis Olthoff his SPF dealer, Dennis has just placed an order for 20 X ZFQ transaxles because RBT cannot supply in under six months.

So I except your apology in advance and suggest you get your facts straight in future.

Chris Melia.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Too many people referring to hijacking threads. Who cares.
There is room for everyone. When you pay the piper, you alone call the tune. Until then it's all opinions, some of it informed, but still opinions and a sprinkling of propaganda.

To DBLDREW

First of all this thread is not about hijacking threads.

Kim Petersen the originator of this thread was referring to the conversation which he had with Dennis Olthoff his SPF dealer, Dennis has just placed an order for 20 X ZFQ transaxles because RBT cannot supply in under six months.

So I except your apology in advance and suggest you get your facts straight in future.

Chris Melia.

Your right this thread isn’t about “hijacking” so why did you bring it up and derail the thread with your jab at Wanni?

What would you like me to apologize for? I stand by my post and my comments.

Why would I assume he was taking about the ZFQ and not the 25G? He states that his car will be done in 1 month. Your boxes wont. Later on he makes the comment the Quiafe box will take 6 weeks, but you said in your other thread that your 20 boxes would deliver in 3 months. Did your production time move up?

He states that the Quiafe box is rated 100ft/lbs more, you state that your box is rated at 550fl/lbs. Now I might be wrong but I was under the impression the ZF box was rated under 400 ft/lbs, so is the ZF really rated at 450ft/lbs or is your box not rates as high as you originally posted?

The post right before yours it was posted by Jwelter linking to the 25G. You did nothing to say that the box in question was in fact yours and not the 25g.

So as you can see there not a clear indication of what box he was actually tanking about and there wasn’t a lot of facts pointing to the fact that it was the ZFQ. So maybe rather then wasting your time taking a jab at Wanni, next time try filling in the blanks…

Having started this thread in the hopes of learning more about Quaife transaxles (given the continued delays in the availability of ZFs), I was very pleased to hear the many informed opinions that made Quaife a comfortable alternative. Unlike many of you, I'm not technically knowledgable about the mechanics of GT40s, and that is one of the great things about this website. I have on now numerous occasions asked really basic questions only to find many generous board participants eager to help – even calling me with advice! One member, Lynn Miner, even sent me VIN plates and toggle plates simply because I asked about them!

That said, the one negative about this board, albeit small, is the almost predicatable squabbling and internecine needling that erupts from predictable quarters. I don't get it: We're talking about a hobby here, not politics or religion.

Look, I'm a virtual newbie with zilch for reputation so take this for what it's worth. Guys like Ron are doing what they can to keep things civil and orderly, and without taking a draconian approach to managing our threads. So it seems to me that it's up to us to be a little more self policing, especially when it comes to maintaining a civil tone. Let's try to be a little more flexible towards the odd post that may show an economy of reason behind it. People see them for what they are, and making too much an issue of it is just another way for a thread like mine to head to Rome instead of London.

Just my two cents. And thanks again to everyone who has contributed to this thread; I've really learned a lot!

Kim

Ron Earp

Admin
Guys,

This is exactly the sort of thing we've all worked hard to avoid having on GT40s.com. Kim hasn't been around long, but this forum is largely free of bickering and infighting. The reason is some moderation but it is largely due to the quality of the membership and their collective interest in building a functional and friendly forum.

Hijacking of threads is a real threat to structure in a forum. If the thread title doesn't mean anything about the contents of the thread, then how is a discerning reader to choose what to read? How can the search engine function effectively? What gives a member the right to drag a thread off topic? If one member can divert a thread then why can't all members? For that matter, why have thread topics, why not have a big chat room instead?

Kim is new to GT40s.com but made an insightful point - it is up to us to be self-policing and show good judgment of what to post and where. The forum is 100% free to read, use, and anything can be posted on the forum dealing with GT40s. Discussion and debate is perfectly fine, and encouraged, but it is encouraged in proper venues and threads that remain on topic.

Keep the signal to noise ratio high.

Best,
Ron

Chris,

Quick question.

What does this new transmission cost in the UK, and in the USA?

I think the RBT ZF box is something like $12,000 in the USA.

Thanks
Dom

Hi Dom

The first 30 transmissions had a discounted introduction price of $11,000 plus shipping.

The retail price after the first 30 will be $11,950 plus shipping hope this helps

Regards

Chris.

Back