Monterey Historics

Does anyone know if there will be any GT40's there 15-17 August? This is being billed as a big Ford turns 100 celebration, but no entry list posted yet. Thinking about going to this as the schedule looks good.

The website is: www.laguna-seca.com

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There are supposed to be five (possibly six) GT40s..to include J6 of Forum fame...and, I believe, 1076 or 1074. Also, the owner of 103 was contacted, but I am not too hopeful on that. I THINK one of the big-block trio from the 1966 winner's circle will be there as well, but don't quote me on this. Now....I am actually speaking of the PB concours, which is not the same as the Monterey Historics, but I think they are all in the same area, so you would at least get to see the cars, if not see them race. And I think J6 will be on the tour, if I am not mistaken.

Of course there will be GT40s there. Here's a list of the ones that turned up when they honored Shelby in 1997.
I would expect an even better turnout for this year's event.
<ul type="square">
[*]1002
[*]1015
[*]1018
[*]1021
[*]1024
[*]1026
[*]1033
[*]1035
[*]1046
[*]1051
[*]1060
[*]1062
[*]J7
[*]J11
[/list]

Now, whether CAV09 (that's my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) is going to be there or not, I'm starting to have serious doubts...
7 1/2 months it's spent in Las Vegas getting finished, and it's still not running (or they're keeping it a secret from me).
I fear at this point that I won't have time to get it insured &amp; registered even if they do finish it real soon...
Can you tell I'm PO'd? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

btw, Pat, you'll probably have trouble finding a hotel at this late date...
I think I posted some alternative possible towns (not on the Monterey Peninsula, but within an hour's drive
or so) to stay in in another thread on this topic. Me, I've got a friend who lives about 5 miles from the track /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It is a wonderful little town. We were there about six years ago for a GT race with Mercedes, Porsches, etc., great time. I remember a friend of mine and myself woke up at 3 or 4 am and drove an hour or so at top speed to get to hotel bar to watch the Japanese GP. That was the one where Schuey tried to take out Vill. and ended up taking himself out.

Any idea on how close people will be able to get to the paddock and see the cars, esp. the 40's?

[ QUOTE ]
Any idea on how close people will be able to get to the paddock and see the cars, esp. the 40's?

[/ QUOTE ]
Close enough to touch them. The paddock is open for this event, though you can expect large crowds crowding around your favorite cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 19562-1075 in paddock.jpg
    19562-1075 in paddock.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 863
Guys

Roy Snook and I are flying over for Monterey, we are meeting up with Fran Hall and Gordy Good. How about a big Forum get together?

Regards
Chris.

Chris,

What do you have in mind? A gathering at the track or a dinner or...?
You know, they do have special parking for various car clubs - I wonder if we should inquire as to whether we could get club parking?

btw, here are a couple of nice places to eat in the area.
The Rio Grill in Carmel (mouth of Carmel Valley) - this place is big enough to handle a good size group, though other groups may have already booked it.
Rocky Point, down the coast south of Carmel.
Em Le's in Carmel is a pretty cool place to eat breakfast. Tiny place, expect to wait to get in...

Arrrgh! Deadline for clubs is Monday! They need a minimum of 35 advance ticket orders. Probably too late for us to pull this together.
I've already bought my ticket - I wonder if they would let us combine existing orders into a club order?

Club Link

OK, let's try this: If you are going to be at Monterey with a GT40 (replica), have already ordered your tickets, post a reply in this thread indicating # of tickets purchased.
If we can get up to 35 by Monday, I will call Laguna Seca and try to pull some strings. They don't charge any extra for the special parking, so it should just be a matter of setting aside some space for us.
I *may* need to collect your customer numbers, but don't post those - IF we get to 35 and IF they require them, then we'll do it through PMs.

The current count is 1 (me). 34 to go.

I will be driving J6 in the Pebble tour on thurs. which will include a few laps on the track. The cars will be parked in downtown Carmel for lunch. On Sunday J6 &amp; I will be on the lawn @ Pebble. STOP BY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need a passenger seat laping partner??????????????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will need to purchase tickets for one person for the entire weekend.

Hi Steve

I thought a dinner would be good, I will e-mail you closer to the time with our details and contact numbers it would be nice to put some faces to names

Regards
Chris.

OK, 48 hours since the last post in this thread and the official count so far is, uh.... one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
That says to me that the probability that we'll get enough to get a parking corral is, uh... zero

Well, Billy at HRE should be putting the finishing touches on my Gulf car Monday. I was considering hauling it out to Ca. for the big event! Hmmmmm.

I forgot to mention, tonight I was at a Birthday party for a friend in our local Ferrari club. At the party also was the former mechanic for the family that bought #1076 in 1989 for , get this $7,200,000.00!!!! They later sold it to Mr Walton who he thinks still owns it today for $5,000,000.00! I like my CAV under $100,000.

Scott
Rob Walton owns 1075. The numbers you cited were a bit off as well. Rob bought 1075 from Peter Lavons. 1075 won LeMans twice. As such it's value is very high. At the time Peter bought 1075 prices were very high. When Rob bought it they had fallen. If 1075 were to be offered for sale which is very unlikely it would IMHO bring more that Peter paid for it.

They've posted a list of entrants for the historic races. GT40s are in Group 6a. I count 12 in the race.

Group 6A
DRIVER City State Car
Tom Armstrong Issaquah WA 1966 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tony DeLorenzo San Mateo CA 1967 Corvette
Larry Bowman San Mateo CA 1965 Cobra 427
Scott Drnek San Mateo CA 1965 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Howard Cherry Fairfield CT 1969 Porsche 910
Jim Click Tucson AZ 1966 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Harley Cluxton III Scottsdale AZ 1965 Cobra 427
David Cohen W. Vancouver B.C. 1965 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Brian Redman Naples FL 1966 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bob Gett Sudbury MA 1969 Chevron B-16
Brad Hook Kailua HI 1966 Porsche 906
Douglas Johnson Orinda CA 1966 Cobra 427
Jim Lawrence Lafayette CA 1967 Chevron B8
Tom Mabey W. Bountiful UT 1966 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom Malloy Villa Park CA 1967 Ford Mk IV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Michael Malone Seattle WA 1967 Porsche 910
Rich Mason Carson City NV 1964 Cobra 427 Fliptop
John McCaw Seattle WA 1964 Ferrari 250 LM
Jules Moritz, Jr. Gilroy CA 1967 Lola T-70 GT
Jennifer Pitts Claremont CA 1969 Chevron B-16
Erich Joiner Rolling Hills CA 1969 Chevron B-16
Gary Schroeder Burbank CA 1965 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bill Murray Longmont CO 1966 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dick Smith Fresno CA 1965 Cobra 427
George Stauffer Blue Mound WI 1966 Ford GT MKII /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
J. Arthur Urciuoli Casey Key FL 1969 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Rob Walton Decatur IL 1968 Ford GT-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

He's been there before, I think. In general, they seem to be pretty strict at Monterey about having original cars with a race history, but with something as rare as a MkIV, I guess they're willing to make an exception. He's probably the only one who's willing to put his car at risk...

Back