Monterey Historics

This is a problem. George used to race J4 but I don't think he does anymore. I haven't raced for a while. Have you seen J7 the bronze car race? (Rebuilt Andretti LeMans car) J5 no longer runs and is the Ford Museam car and I don't think the owner of J8 races. J3 is locked away and J1 & J2 no longer exist.
Best

I saw J7 (awesome!) last year at the Shelby American museum in Boulder, CO. I'm pretty sure it's owned by Bill Murray who is listed to bring a '66 GT to Monterey. I think J7 ran at the Steamboat Springs Vintage races a few years back, but that event is no more.

Mark
I believe Bill is the restorer. The cars are owned by the owner of the museum. J7 is the car that Andretti crashed at LeMans. They did a great job restoring it.

Jumping in a little late here...

I don't think I'll be able to attend the events earlier in the week due to some family conflicts. I will attend on Sunday though. I'll look you up Jim!

Cheers

I spoke to George Stauffer at Road America, he told me about one of the last times he had a GT 40 on the track, when looking in the mirror after the start, a group of Camaros, Mustangs and others came after him like Bees! Too dangerous when you're being attacked, I don't blame him.

Hey, hey. Got my ticket in the mail today.

Attachments

• 20674-ticket.jpg
    20674-ticket.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 278
Hi guys
Is it best to by the tickets in advance?
What's the best deal, the three day pass, or go for the hospitality as well?
Will they send tickets to the UK?
I found the web site www.montereyhistoric.com
Regards
Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Steve
Will you make it over to Pebble on Sun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. I went a couple of times in the past, but it was just too crowded so since then I've just hung out at the race track. Have they asked you about doing some demo laps at the track on Saturday? There's a historic Ford parade and tribute scheduled for lunchtime on Saturday...

[ QUOTE ]
Hi guys
Is it best to by the tickets in advance?
What's the best deal, the three day pass, or go for the hospitality as well?
Will they send tickets to the UK?
I found the web site www.montereyhistoric.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris,
The tickets are cheaper if you buy them in advance. You can order them and pick them up at will-call - probably a safer option at this point than trusting overseas mail.

I went for the 3-day pass, as you can see above. The Flag Room option does give you a reserved parking space, and that's probably the most valuable thing in the package. Except for parking & food it's basically the same as the 3-day pass. There are plenty of good spots to watch the action other than the hospitality tent. In fact, if you've never been to Laguna Seca before, you'll probably want to wander around the whole track to get a feel for it.

They used to announce every year that it's clothing optional on the hillside, but I've never seen anyone actually test to see if they were kidding or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I noticed Rob Walton on the list. Is that 1075 he is bringing? that will be a sight to see. AND Brian Redman who will probably blow everyone else's doors off.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I forgot to mention I will be a PB with Dick and Kendall Merritt; they are bringing a Bizzarrini they have restored to show. (one of the classes this year is for Giugiaro designs including the Bizzarrini, Maserati Ghibli and some others I can't recall) Please look for us; the car is worth seeing even if it isn't a GT40, it is a neat design, very fast, beautiful lines and very quick. They have restored it to a very high standard and are hoping to do well with it.

Steve
The Bizzarrini and I will be doing laps on thurs. while on the Pebble tour. I'll be at the races on sat but not with my car. Yesterday I drove J6 up to my mechanic to check the fluids and give her a wash before shipping her to Pebble. As I blasted along I could hear her whispering: "Hey why don't we drive there?"

I know about the Thursday laps, but they usually pull some relevant cars over from Pebble Beach for the lunchtime parade laps. I'm not sure how it works - it might be a last-minute thing.

As for sriving there, well I'm planning to trailer my car out to the coast and drive it up Highway 1 from Cayucos (OK, it's not the same in any way...) But as I was test driving it last night the fuel pressure regulator puked out on me and started spewing raw gas all over the engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif - Nothing caught fire and I can replace the regulator, but I'm not sure if this was just a case of infant mortality or if there's a more serious issue. I don't know what kind of pressure the fuel pumps are putting out. Might be too much for that poor little regualtor to take or something...

Steve
This is why my MK-IV has a fuel PSI gauge in the cockpit. In my car fuel flows to the gauge but it is possible to remote the fuel so only inert fluid flows into the cockpit. I really think this gauge is a good idea. If something lets go this gauge will let you know and you can activate fire system which I think is also a good idea. Are you running Webbers? Some have said that the PSI gauge on them sometimes goes but when I checked around I couldn't find anyone who was worried about them failing and I've run them for years on my boat which is a far harsher environment.
Best

Yeah, Webers. We had that discussion a whilw back. The pressure gauge apparently got tweaked on the dyno - looks like the needle went clear around and hit the zero rest pin, bending both the pin and the needle - so the gauge port is now plugged. I suspect that the regulator blew in the same mishap (I'm guessing they used a high-pressure fuel pump for an injected system). It's been running crappily though the spewing of fuel seems to be something new. At least they didn't warn me about that, just that it was running awful rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hopefully It's fixed now and I won't have any more problems. Yes, I do plan to put in a fire bottle but it's not there yet. I do have a halon extinguisher that I bought in 1988 but still reads in the green that is now in the car.

Redman, Walton, Surtees, 1075, and the Daytona Cobra Coupe were all at Road America. Yes, they are COOL!

I am hopefully going to the Monterey Historics for free (volunteer staff). It is going to be awesome for me, as I have never seen a GT40, real or fake, in my life. You will know me because I will be running around the paddock by the GT40s screaming in aesthetic extasy. I went to the Monterey Historic website and noted these cars:

12 GT40s! 9 BOSS 302s! 3 Cobra Daytonas! 14 Cobras!

AWESOME. My dad even had BOSS 302s when he was younger. All these will be awesome, but, of course:

12 GT40s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What a bitchin' car. . .

Back