CAV In provisional Liquidation

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAV In provisional Liquidation

I post this information to inform forum members.

CAV provisional liquidation listing No C46/2004 was listed at the Cape Town court house for hearing on 28 January 2004.

I have no further comment to make except anybody hurt by this has my sympathies

Regards
Chris.

Chris,

Is this a liquidation sale, or merely a bankruptcy filing,

perhaps to restructure the company after the mess with

Shelby?

CAV seemed to be building and selling quite a few very nice

cars. I can't picture them giving up, considering the time,

effort, money, and sweat invested. It would be damn shame

if that's the case!

Bill

Don't worry!!! This is a simple a re org after the SAI fiasco. They WILL be making cars again very soon. I'm sure that when the time is right CAV will provide a statement to ease all concerns. Legal issues unfortunately do require time and a lot of confidentiality. Heck one of the largest steel manufactures Stelco having been in business for almost 100 years with up to 25,000 employees has just gone into CCAA CDN equivalent of Chapter 11 for the US guys.
Having the first GT40 in Canada I'm not worried. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Chris - Good to talk to you this morning.

I am sure you will find that no customer anywhere has found themselves in a difficult position due to this. I agree with frknfast's comments that this will resolve itself very shortly and the CAV distributors will be supplying cars as normal.

From a UK perspective, our arrangement with Carcraft remains unaffected and we continue to market and sell kits.

Lets not forget that the CAV is a very good, well developed car that has delighted its many customers worldwide.

I would like to point out one other thing. I have never heard a CAV distributor or customer being anything other than complimentary about all the other makes of GT40 available and I feel very strongly that that would be unacceptable. I therefore feel that it is sad that certain (but thankfully few) people have made foolish comments and posts in an an attempt to (mistakenly) glory in what they see as other people's misfortunes. Surely the whole idea of this forum is to help each other out in order that we can all enjoy ownership of one of these beautiful cars - whoever makes it.

I am grateful to Chris for a short, balanced and factual version of events. As they say, watch this space!

Rick Chattell

Sorry Bill, didnt mention you!

Dont worry, they wont give up!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I didn't think it was appropriate to post this earlier because it was a private email, but further to what Rick and frknfst have said, here is an excerpt from said email which I received a week or so ago:

[ QUOTE ]
The CAV GT program is alive and getting going again as a separate enterprise. They have decided to down size and spend more time on the details...

Most of the original CAV GT guys stayed with the GT 40 program and the Cobra guys went with the Cobra program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick,

I'm not glad that this has happened, if that's what you are saying!

I do have more to add than just "oh dear"!

From a business perspective CAV are touted as the big company, being hugely successful with many satisfied customers. Now I don't proclaim to be a Richard Branson, but this move by CAV will do their brand name no good at all, that is a fact.

I cannot understand any advantage of CAV's liquidation, presumably it was voluntary. And I don't really see what Shelby has to do with it either, just because a deal goes sour you don't just throw away all your hard work!

I guess life just gets more and more complicated these days. Good luck to em!

J.P

Ian Clark

Supporter
Chris,

You are way out of line here. To offer sympathy to anyone who might get hurt by CAVs restructuring suggests that we are not ethical business people. I take extreme exception to that insinuation and I'm sure this is the case for CAV's other distributors and dealers.

CAV has inventory to cover all sold products, what's your problem? It's fine to post public information, however I find the way you posted it to be opportunistic and not in the interest of GT40 enthusiasts, many of whom will continue to choose the CAV GT as their dream car.

The whole story will not be replayed on this forum for anyones amusement, so let's focus on the big picture - building more GT40s.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Ian,

I have known Chris Melia for more than 20 years , from the earlies days of the GT40 club in the UK and I have ALWAYS found him to be honourable and honest in all of his conduct. Along with Ken Saunders , Chris would be my closest friend in this family we call the "GT40 family".

I take exception to your comments regarding this post. Chris has stated the FACTS and only the FACTS and has not even posted ALL the rumours that are flying around that have been confirmed. I have also been aware of some of the problems regarding CAV and like Chris I send out my sympothy to all those affected, whether it is the staff in SA who have lost their jobs, the agents in the four corners of the world that are affected by not geting product or customers who are unable to get product. I am sure that CAV and their representives are not selling cars that they can not get from SA and I include you in this Ian, but Chris has only stated the facts and offered his sympothy to those affected.

I prosume that you are still in "denile" .

I hope that CAV come back and produce the GREAT cars that they have produced before but only time will tell.

Best wishes to you ALL,

Robert

Please post or delete this as you see fit.

As a potential buyer of a 'kit' and a 'newbie' I believe that i can be judged as being 'impartial?'

On researching the market (worldwide i might add) and perusing this forum I have come to the conclusion that for my purposes (emphasis my purposes) the choice is between two companies that produce GT 40 'Kits' - still undecided as to which my custom will go - of which CAV is one.

Considering the cost (£30k plus) this is quiet an investment for most people.

I am therefore concerned that CAV have not given a thought to their 'potential' future customers like me who are now at a crossroads not knowing what to do given this news.

Being UK based I have been impressed by the kind words that people on this forum have given to Rick Chatrell, UK distributor of the CAV kit, (plus side - no import duty problems, technical help close by etc.) but I the seeds of doubt are now sown in my mind before I have even seen the product in the flesh!

This cannot be good for future custom.

Why on earth, if this is a re structuring programme, could not CAV have post something on this forum to let the GT40 world know what was happening.

Even now I do not see an official posting from the company itself explaining what has or will happen?

From my perspective it has had a damaging effect on an otherwise exceptional product (by customer satisfaction ratings on this and other forums) to future sales and has certainly made me become a lot more cautious on where my 'investment' will finally go.

All I can say is that I thank all those memebers of this forum who go out of their way to keep we the 'public' informed about events that effect all of us and in my mind that ain't a bad thing!

John Keane

Considering the following posts have been placed by Chris:

"CAV In provisional Liquidation

I post this information to inform forum members.

CAV provisional liquidation listing No C46/2004 was listed at the Cape Town court house for hearing on 28 January 2004.

I have no further comment to make except anybody hurt by this has my sympathies

Regards
Chris. "

"Hi all

the story I herd is that CAV sold the factory and has finished with GT40 production for good. I understand that they are concentrating on there marine business.

Regards
Chris"

"Hi All
I think the values are fair especially with the CAV factory being sold and production at an end.
Regards
Chris."

These posts seem VERY biased. Does he have a agenda besides informing everyone? Who has ordered a car and has not received one?

[ QUOTE ]

Chris has stated the FACTS and only the FACTS and has not even posted ALL the rumours that are flying around that have been confirmed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making blanket statements that the production of CAV cars is over is not a fact. Based on what? So if CAV continues to make cars this year can we all come watch him eat crow?

[ QUOTE ]
I have also been aware of some of the problems regarding CAV and like Chris I send out my sympothy to all those affected, whether it is the staff in SA who have lost their jobs, the agents in the four corners of the world that are affected by not geting product or customers who are unable to get product. I am sure that CAV and their representives are not selling cars that they can not get from SA

[/ QUOTE ]

What agents have not been able to get cars and who specifically has been affected?? I have not heard of any dealers not being able to get the cars that they have ordered.

[ QUOTE ]
I hope that CAV come back and produce the GREAT cars that they have produced before but only time will tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the encouragement and we will continue to build great cars at affordable prices.

Robert Logan

Gary,

Please give the forum the current build figures of CAV. How many cars have they produced since late last year (November 2003 to date).

This forum is a two edged sword and those who use it to advertise their products have to be responsible to their customers (both current and future) for that product. The fact that you have had the courage to have a "help " section in the forum is 100% commendable but it was interesting that somebody other than the CAV company is telling that the liquidation is happening while for the last months users like myself have been trying to get the whole story. Chris has known of problems for a long time and we have discussed it over that time. He and I have felt that it would be best if it were announced by CAV and even last week end I recieved a private e-mail from the CAV distributor about rumours.

I am glad that the story is out in the open, not as a manufacturer as we offered different things (Cav's factory built cars and RF's kits).

I do honestly hope that CAV continue to build their cars but I wish they had spoken up on this isue earlier. I spoke of the split between Gordon Levy and myself at the start and when the lawers allow me to tell the rest of the story I will do exactly that.

Best wishes to all,

Robert

Robert Logan

Gary,

We have three due for delivery to Pheonix in the next few days ( being X-rayed in LA as we speak) and they left Australia in mid December.

I ask the question again, how many cars have been completed since November 2003.

Please look at another thread on the general area to answer your question of RF numbers etc.

Honesty and transparancy.

Best wishes,

Robert

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I agree with Chris and Robert on this. If CAV is in receivership or liquidation they should have informed their customers and prospective customers. I hope their relative lack of candor doesn't cost them sales- they build a good car, from what I gather, and you can't have too many GT40s- but where there's smoke, there is frequently fire. And I am not alone in thinking I smell smoke. I hope things turn out alright for them.
There's a difference between posting information on the one hand and wishing someone ill on the other. I don't feel that either Chris or Robert wished anyone ill and no one is trying to poison the well here. But CAV should get the word out, whatever the word is.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi All,

Clearly there is a difference between posting information that is relevant to those interested (customers, old and new) and individuals within the industry going out of their way to put forth events that can in no way benifit anyone except themselves by hopefully removing a competitor from the market place.

That is exactly what's going on here. CAV is under attack, why? for building a damm good car or helping to enhance the specialty car market on the whole?

It's a fact of business life that companies sometimes have to restructure to remain viable. This is done with the knowledge and cooperation of all stake holders.

Let all manufacturers of GT40 replicas not loose sight of the fact we are all "cottage industry" by any measure in the automotive business. Count your blessings that no one is peeing in your corn flakes right now.

Everybody has to calm down and let the dust settle.

Cut CAV some slack here boys, then you might get some meaningfull information from the company. Otherwise I'm sure they will not want to comment or support this forum.

[ QUOTE ]

Nobody wants a dog and pony show like what happened at Roaring Forties.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back