CAV In provisional Liquidation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, Ian,
One of the most difficult lessons I have ever learned in business is that "people do business with other people".
They don't do business with factories, equipment or companies.
Sometimes we, as management, forget this and we forget that our customers buy from us because of the service we provide not just because they want the product we produce.
Customers want to make well informed decisions. This forum is a very powerful way to disseminate information. Much, much to valuable tool to be ignored................
Keith

You know, it really TICKS ME OFF when somebody makes a statement in their post then edits that statement without an explanation. Do you think it makes it OK? Well it doesn't. If you say something you regret then have the decency to post that on this thread..
It's a sad state of affairs here I will admit. I am really disapointed in some of the guys that post here. I simply am shocked at the viscious display over a simple thing as trying to answertain information on a public company on a public forum. Are you people loyal to GT40's or to a company. I want all to know here and now my first loyalty is to be truthful to all on this forum. You're all here I assume because you love these cars. If you have more loyalty to the company and not your customers then you don't belong here. The people here deserve good information. If it includes bad news about a particuler company then so be it. It doesn't change the facts.
Either you're part of our family as a forum member or you're not. It makes no matter to me who made your GT40, only that you chose the one you want or now enjoy.

Gary, as far as Robert Logan is concerned and his inability to speak about the Levy situation. Again , his attorneys have advised him not to speak of the current situation until lidigation is finished. What part of that do you not understand? As Far as how many cars I have sold, the answer would be three. I won't speak for Gordon, you can ask him.
I see Robert as being the only manufacturer that has come onto this forum and contributed information. I see no other manufacturer's president spending time here and answering questions.
I think we all need to understand that this is a forum for the appreciation of the GT not an us vs them thing.
I sell GT's for RF. I own an RF. I like what I have as much as that guy that bought any other brand likes his choice. The day I have to lie to sell an RF will be the day I quiet selling them. I don't have the time for that kinda crap. Life's too short. I wanna enjoy the GT and the new friends I meet.
Yeah, I know, too long and really out of character for me. I had to say what I felt so go ahead and let me have it . I got my Nomex and helmet on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hersh, put your shorts back on:) We'll all feel a lot better once there is an official statement.

Meanwhile, customers who definately need to be informed can rest assured CAVs ordered toady are already in inventory.

We're all human here and sometimes very emotional, these cars get under your skin, we both know that ~ as does anyone who as sat in or driven a GT40.

It seems like customers are willing to wait for more information, lets hope the other manufacturers will do the same.

[ QUOTE ]

Gary, as far as Robert Logan is concerned and his inability to speak about the Levy situation. Again , his attorneys have advised him not to speak of the current situation until lidigation is finished. What part of that do you not understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hersh: I understand completely, and as I said I do not care about the specifics of the RF/Gordon situation. A simple statement that they split up is sufficient for me which Robert clearly gave.

I guess it struck me as hypocritical. My point was that if Robert is bound not to speak can he possibly fathom that others in a similar situation (CAV SA) may not be able to fully disclose their position? He wants CAV SA to be totally open and honest (which I would like too). But in the same breath says he can not disclose details about his situation. I would expect him to think that CAV SA would be in similar situation (that he is in with Gordon).

Thanks Ron for the post, and I too hope that the factory makes a sufficient statement soon.

I apologize if I came off as short with my earlier posts. Not my intention. I had felt that (for some people) the posts they have made concerning our products lately have included a lot of negative conjecture. Being an engineer I tend to post facts. In this situation there are facts that I know (which I have disclosed) and many that I do not know. And I certainly could not make a statement like "the CAV production is at an end." Because I don't know it as fact nor in this case do I believe it. I guess in a few months either Chris our I will be wrong as there will either be continued production or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To my knowledge I have never made a negative post concerning any other GT40 make on this forum. I just don't feel it is my place.

Now can’t we just talk about transaxles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Now can’t we just talk about transaxles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gary - I thought you wanted the flamewars to die down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Bringing up transaxles will start a bonfire ... now, what
is there in the way of 7 speed, 2x reverse trans that can
handle 1500HP in a 1500lb car - going for that elusive
1 lb/HP ratio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ref: Chris's first post on this topic. Does any body have more info on what happened in the court in Cape Town on 28th January ? Andre - can you shed any light?
Dave M

so what happened? does that mean CAV is gone for good? is that why people dumping CAV cars on ebay and auction? good for me!

I am sure you will find the car continuing under Carcraft's auspices in some form or other.

I doubt that there will be any panic selling - dont forget it is a very well built quality car.

Rick

IMHO a number of owners are trying to cash in on Ford GT
fever. Judging from the amount people are bidding for "spots", I don't blame GT40 owners for tossing their
car on E-bay and seeing what happens. Lightning can strike...it has happened more than once...

MikeD

The car owners, any GT40, are the real people of the web site because they buy the cars and build the interest and club. Manufacturers should keep their malice and control their temptation to use the site to hit at other manufacturers, very evident relavent to CAV, after its debacle with Shelby.

I like to talk and see all GT40 cars. I have just got a new CAV GT40 on the road and I am absolutely delighted with it. I cannot believe that any manufacturer has anyone better than Bob Lacey, he is knowledgeable and very helpful.

Where has the CAV thread gone? The cars are still there and we owners are still there!

John Place

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Stike2,

The cars are nice and Bob, Ian, Gray and others are very knowlegable about CAV cars. Good people I think.

About two weeks ago I decided to try and make up for a cash shortage in running the forum by having the manufacturers pay for forums for their markee. RF pays for a spot, as does the two UK clubs. All of them have for the last two years and I thought others would want to do so as well. That turns out not to be the case as Tornado, DRB, and CAV (in fairness Bob responded but since CAV is undergoing rebirth it is in turmoil) have not offered any support funds to have a forum. Which is okay as were doing alright with what we have, however, the forum remains closed due to that reason. It might be the support strategy will change once I get the Donation Wizard installed and running and people can easily donate $10 if they wish to cover costs.

Nonetheless, the data is still here and perserved so don't worry about loosing info.

R

Hi all
in an effort to keep our members informed I understand Mr Roger Anderson has purchased tooling and stock from the liquidators of CAV to enable him to start building GT40 cars under the Carcraft banner.
I wish him good luck

Regards
Chris.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
On reading back over this thread and now with the usual hindsight, Chris Melia's original posting was exact, concise, and I think he was being very 'gt40s.com forum' minded. There were a few subsequent posts that were rather wide of the mark or,rather, very VERY conservative with the facts as they knew it, and I suspect some of the people who joined in now wish they hadn't. But, I guess they had some investment/ business plans/ dreams of getting rich to protect.
Makes really interesting reading...
Dave M

I agree with you David.

I was involved with CAV at the time and I had absolutely no problem with anything that Chris Melia said on his post.

It was factual, balanced and therefore fair.

I don't agree with your comment about people trying to get rich though. In my opinion, the only way to make a small fortune out of GT40's is to start with a large one!

Rick

Ron Earp

Admin
Does anyone have information on what the situation is now with the former CAV cars and production? Did they make it with a re-organization?

I do not have any firm information and thus did not want to start any rumors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif From what I understand there are several cars under construction for delivery in June. I believe that at least 6 cars have been ordered by US and Canadian dealers. The CAV GT name will continue under the new ownership and new cars will be continuing with the same serial number sequence. Prices should be very close to the same. I do not have firm information nor do I speak for the factory. I am looking forward to seeing the new cars and getting the production back on track.

As a side note I heard a rumor that the Shelby Cobra production in SA is not going to happen. If true, then Shelby/CAV deal only resulted in the break up of CAV. In the long run this new leaner factory should be much better anyway.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for that Gary,
I still maintain that Chris was totally factual and community minded when he initially reported to us what he had heard, and he substantiated it from SA before he went to print here on the forum. To me, and imho there would seem to be some sort of change of face (volte face) from you dealers in the USA and at the end of the day, some sort of "I regret, bu you were totally right" would seem to be appropriate. But then again, thats just what I feel is due and what do I know anyway.
I also refer to my post on Sunday Feb 1st. about Shelby's involvement in CAV as part of this thread. Q.E.D.

Dave M

David: You stated above that some posts were VERY conservative, etc. Not sure if you were speaking about my posts but I can tell you that the information that I released at the time was absolutely all that I knew. I do not have a problem with reporting facts. Like announcement of the liquidation, etc. And when Chris posted that it was the first I (or any US Dealer) had heard of it.

You also made a comment to the effect that we were covering our rears to protect our financial interests. I do have a very nice “day job,” and do this just for the fun. If I was looking to get rich I would be better off working hours at McDonalds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Kind of like I bet Ron is getting rich off this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Thanks Ron for all the hard work!)

I do have a problem with statements like "CAV production is at an end." These were not facts. They were predictions stated as fact. Which IF CAV cars begin delivery again (in June) would make that statement totally false. I expect that all of the previous US dealers will still represent the CAV line, price is the same, car is the same, etc. When people pull out the crystal ball and try to predict the future things can get muddy. I think many statements that Chris made were presumptuous.

My only other point was that most (all?) of the posts by Chris concerning the CAV are very negative. He is free to say whatever he wants, but must be prepared for the heat. I do not subscribe to the idea of putting down another product. I have never made a statement putting down another product let alone all of my statements (about another product). For example, I have made many posts in the RF manufacturers area trying to give some help/ideas to their customers. Why not? In fact I would bet ~95% of my 700 posts have had nothing specifically to do with the CAV product. I try to help the GT40 community as best I can, not try to tear it down. I do this just for the fun of it. Isn’t this “fun” /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've heard that the CAV/Shelby Cobra jigs and moulds have been shipped from South Africa to Mexico, so it looks like that particular deal stuffed everyone. Like I said on 31 Jan, if CAV had concentrated on GT40s and not gone for the Shelby $$$, it could be that none of this would have happened.

If the Shelby deal had worked out, as well as the GT40, CAV would have offered some interesting cars, as follows:

GT_plan.gif

shelby_plan.gif

ginetta_plan.jpg

(I think there was a tie in with Ginetta for a while, with Ginetta helping CAV through SVA in the UK.)

carver_car.gif

(The Carver is a mad car built in Holland that tilts into corners. Top Gear tested a couple close to where I work - certainly a wierd looking thing but, by all accounts, stacks of fun).

My two cents. Whether Chris's facts could be construed as negative, to the point or otherwise, they were certainly more informative than a lot of the stuff we saw about CAV before it folded.

Looking ahead, it will be interesting to see what comes of the new CAV GT40. Some photos of the new factory, or of the cars Gary talks about that are already in production, would speak a thousand words. Anyone got any pics?

Cheers

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back