Need some help

Looking for a GT40 kit to build. I want to source the drive train suspension etc. on my own so basically i want a chassis and shell. ANyone know where i can get these and at what price??

Thanks guys and is this chassis good? I.e. able to handle well on the track? What about aerodynamics Does the car lift at high speeds? All curious about trackday toys of course....

Keith

The RCR is a very close replica of the original plus it has a monocoque chassis (as the original) so chances are it will handle very much like an original including the aerodynamic characteristics depending on your particular set-up. If you look at the history of the marque, they managed to achieve 200 mph and win Le Mans several times with very few aero tweaks over the basic body shape. However, that was in the 1960's. As regards a track day car, I would think a well sorted GT40 replica could still kick a few modern asses no problemo, however, if it is JUST a track day car you want, there may be better, cheaper and less costly/complex options but if it is a GT40 track day car you want, then you've come to the right place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way? Which country are you in?

I'm in the U.S. I'm not ready to buy as of yet, im going ot have to wait a few years. SO i decided that getting a head start and knowing what i wanted when the time is right i wouldn't have to dilly dally over this and that.

EDIT: BTW thanks for the help guys, very appreciated!

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I have a question that may be redundant.

Were the original cars welded alum. OR rivited steel?

Oliver

Neither - they were spot welded steel. Although Eric Broadley wanted to build them in aluminium, Ford weren't ready for it, and they decided on steel. This was a real sticking point for Eric (who I guess may well approve of Fran's ally chassis).

John B

Temp Selling Pass
I can only think that Ford new the welding characteristics of alum and steel. Repairs were probably quicker and and more reliable. Im guessing!

Ollie,
back in the 60's maybe but not now....the flagship Corvette and Ford GT both have aluminum chassis, along with the Caddy XLR and many more European high enders

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Fran, The 60's that is what I was talking. RELAX! You have a great product! I was not knocking you.
However, None of your cars are on the road or seeing my tail lights... yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flamed.gif

oliver

GEE'S Fran..your like a over protective father waiting for his kid be born. One more thing! Are the production cars you mentioned welded by percission robots or by hand...I just don't know!

Oliver the great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ollie the great (pretender)...I didn;t take your comment as being aimed at me....I am not over protective just educating a fellow Mid Westerner with a non-road ready GT40..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
You must just sit and look at your own taillights dreaming of the day you will be able to drive on the same stretch of road as an RCR /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Ahhhh Franny boy......Ohh frannyboy ... im only but 3weeks away until I will be finished. Than I will drive up to see you and show what a GT40 looks like going down the road instead of pushing it one around like you do and going zoom zoom zoom!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned.gif

Sure you can find your way here????Maybe a little out of your comfort zone....three weeks .....why so long... Pantera 1889 will have about 3000 miles on his RCR 670HP ZF transaxled car by then... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

John B

Temp Selling Pass
GPS IS THE BEST! As for pantera 1889...3000 feet is more accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif before somthing breaks.

Im still waiting on a part from OZ that is why i'm delayed..Can't belive it! been 6 month already!
Friken ozzy"s

Oliver

Ouch......careful there are some good guys over there that may come to your rescue one day.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ron McCall

Supporter
Easy Oliver! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nono.gif
I'de hate to have to whip your ass on the track AND in the parking lot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back