Snob - or wot?

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Is it just me - or is there an underlying snobbery within the GT40 community?

Being the lucky owner of a replica, I am sick and tired of being told by "experts" that "it is a nice car - but you know it's the wrong shade of red" or "why is the oil cooler in the wrong place". I know my car isn't an original (how many are) but I DONT CARE! I am just pleased with owning a beautiful looking car which doesn't look dated after 40 years and IMHO defined the look of modern GT cars - look at the similarity of the Maclaren F1 or the XJ220 to the GT40 basic design.
So PLEASE - you guys (and gals) out there - just enjoy the car for what it is - not what it isnt!

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, it might become widespread, but not just with original cars versus replicas, but within the replica fold itself. You could argue that it is already here with respect to mono cars and tube frame cars, but it hasn't been such a big deal because the mono cars weren't all that correct with respect to original design construction. But, it might be headed to another level.

Just like what you see on many of the Cobra boards, real vs. fake, Shelby CSX-XXXX vs. Brand XYZ, we might see the same sorts of things. As I understand it the Superformance GT40 is licensed by Safir with continuation series numbers and will be allowed into the Shelby register. These cars have a very correct construction and will be regarded by many as the pinnacle of GT40 replica design/construction.

As Mr. Gilmore put it, the ringing of the division bell has begun.

I hope it doesn't affect us too much, but if you read some of those discussions on the Cobra boards you know you've got to have your Nomex on!
:flameon:

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Bottom line is that unless you pay the $750,000 plus for a 60's original, everyone has a "fake" GT40 no matter how close to the original design the car is. IMHO this includes the superformance cars as well - who gives a crap about a continuation series number (unless you're a snob?), it's still a car made in 2006 and the originals were made in the 60's. Period.

Certainly there is some enjoyment in the diversity of replicas that are out there. So, to point out that an oil cooler is in one location or another or something similar may not be meant to be a ding on accuracy of copy of the original, rather, just pointing out something unique or interesting. Like all dialog, the tone and context are important so good to be a little sensitive to how somebody may interpret ones comments. Ultimately, let's keep it all positive and collegial as that where the enjoyment really comes into play.

The two owners of US-based original GT40s whom I have met have not been snobs, rather they are gracious and engaging stewards of these fine racecars, and they genuinely seem to appreciate the replicas. I know that a sample space of 2 isn't very large, but maybe it's a UK thing. Stiff upper lip and all that. ;)

As for snobishness within the replica community, it unfortunately exists already. Just look over some of the threads on Valkyries or VW-based replicars.

Yes gent's I agree. I have spoken to numerous GT40 replicas manufacturors, I have been met by both people who are willing to take the time to help you with your project no matter the make or name brand. Then there are those who need to know what type of kit or replica that your building and give you a better than you attitude when its not one that they approve of. Luckly I have not met anyone on this site as of yet. I have both type of kits that Im building from the ground up a Valkyrie and an old KVA style kit. So if any of you have any info that I could use please help me to complete my car, such as interior dimentions and what not since Im building the chassis from scratch it would greatly appreciated..thanks Luke

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Spot-on Cliff & Mark

Doesn't matter what the community, there will always be snobs.

Half the people that see my car ask "is that real?" to which I smile and reply: "no, it's just an illusion".

Snobs

On the ClubCobra forum snobbery seems to run rampant with a few guys and the CSX continuation cars vs everything else, it's the biggest detriment to me wanting to be involved in the hobby. I'm lucky, I dream of putting an 427 SOHC in everything, so I can't get involved in the argument about what car is the most original looking, the only argument I can have whether mine if bigger :)

Accuracy of replica?

As far as accuracy goes, I though ERA was pretty accurate with the monocoque they do. Is this true, or subject to opinion?

Howard Jones

Supporter
My experience is, the nicest people and, some of the best friends I have are owners of GT40's. They are always willing to lend a hand when in need and if across the world the lend some advice.

So I believe you are wrong. Sure there are assholes in every walk of life but maybe its because I am so quick to recognize one they haven't really had much effect on me. No time for mean people really. Too many nice people.

Cheers!!!!

Howard Jones said:
My experience is, the nicest people and, some of the best friends I have are owners of GT40's. They are always willing to lend a hand when in need and if across the world the lend some advice.

So I believe you are wrong. Sure there are assholes in every walk of life but maybe its because I am so quick to recognize one they haven't really had much effect on me. No time for mean people really. Too many nice people.

Cheers!!!!

Dildo, oops - I meant DITO! :)

Chris

Ron Earp

Admin
fostereast said:
As far as accuracy goes, I though ERA was pretty accurate with the monocoque they do. Is this true, or subject to opinion?

The ERA is more accurate with chassis design when considering the monocoque panel layout than say a CAV or RCR monocoque, but, it still isn't as accurate as the Superformance car is reported to be, and, looks to be with their attention to specific parts (and then besides the chassis factor in the steel roof on the Superformance, etc.). I plan to visit and have a look-see with Otholff racing when I'm over that way later in the summer. Bear in mind for the newbie reading this isn't concerning the "looks" or "shape" of the car, but the underlying structure that we're talking about here.

I tend to agree with your Howard in that I haven't detected snobbery or unwillingness to help others in the GT40 community. Folks are really nice, generally, with the exception of a few caustic personalities that saw fit to disturb just about everyone (and brazen types even thought it a good idea to run off with other people's money!). And fostereast also calls it with a few folks getting crazy with the CSX cars. But, the GT40 community is about 1/30th (estimation) the size of the Cobra community and all it takes is a few bad apples.......

One of the reasons I posted about this when I saw the topic was that I recently read some comments on the Ford GT forum about some of those owners getting, oh, what is the word, "miffed", that a Superformance replica could have the same registry rights as their new Ford GT. From that, and the Cobra similarities, I could infer that a similar thing could happen in GT40 Land.

Best,
Ron

Snob or what??

I believe a favourite saying of Clarke Gable was "quite frankly my dear - I dont give a damn".Care factor "0".The Mk 1B GT40 is one of the classiest acts around irrespective of who built/builds it.I suffer nit pickers like fools.Sure some are better than others but who really cares.I did not build mine to extend a trophy cabinet but to thoroughly enjoy the ride.I have previously owned a 66 " 427" side oiler Fairlane - a 70 Boss 302- a 65 GT Convertible Mustang and a "A" code 65 Mustang convertible.All great rides BUT near every outing in my RF GT40 is an ego trip unlike anything previous with people jumping off sidewalks to take a shot or hanging out a car window at 120 kays just to get closer - even the constabulary give a thumbs up.My lady friend is embarassed at times to ride in it as she says "everyone is looking" (so what) If any one suffers from bipolar these things would be an instant cure.At the end of the day those differentiating-particulary with follow on cars- they are truly not representative of the real people who have sweated and built their own with their own ideas as to what they liked. I built mine for me. My IMHO. Cheers.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Wow! - have I hit a nerve!

I was not implying everyone is a snob - I have met with a lot of help from many guys over here. - my comment was about the occasional "nit pick", which you can understand from outside the "community" - I was just surprised about how much I have had from other owners.

just keep taking the chill pill.

ps - what your best answer for the "is it real?" Q?
my stock answer is either " the road tax disk" (only applies in the UK) or "£200K"

Hi Guys
Just for the record, the ERA chassis is more akin to the Safir MkV chassis than an original FAV/ Tennent style chassis.
The ERA has many flat panels whereas the original has a much more complex structure, the RCR is a true mono with a similar simplistic layout to the ERA in many respects...dimensionally the ERA and the RCR are very similar with the RCR having more footbox/legroom
The SPF chassis has much more in common with the original chassis in style and layout of the chassis panels and as mentioned a steel roof, A and B pillar section....

Regards

Chris.

Snob or What

Personally I have never seen a real GT40 in person so I couldnt tell you where each piece would go. I know most of the originals were all different. As for the people I have only met 2 kit owners and they wer very helpful and nice people. Peter Delaney went out of his way in order for me to see and ride in my first GT40. I am still waiting for when I have the time to own or build my car.

Jim Nielsen

Mark Charlton said:
Half the people that see my car ask "is that real?" to which I smile and reply: "no, it's just an illusion".

That's priceless. I guess I'm going to have to remember that one for when I join the ranks. :)

HILLY

Supporter
Continuing the comparison discussion a little more, how does the GOX mono stack up against the original??

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I had and interesting experience this past weekend. I was gassing up the car and a fellow came over and said he'd never seen a "real" GT40 before. I told him it was a replica to which he replied; "There is no way in hell this is not a real GT40!" ;)

I’ve been an active participant of the classic car scene for quite a while now. I’ve restored classic cars to “original” spec and have even judged a few concourse events where originality was just as much a factor as workmanship. I have even been involved in extended official debates on what constitutes “originality” for the purpose of competition. And unlike the GT40, this usually involved mass-produced cars where there are extensive records and endless examples of the marque. My overall conclusion? For as many reasons as there are examples, there are no absolutes when it comes to originality. Just shades of grey depending upon where you choose to stand. Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is either full of the brown stuff or full of themselves.

Furthermore, each car has its own history and a life in its own right, even a replica. Tracking down this individual history of a car can be just as enjoyable as restoring the car itself. My car is an original RF40 as built by me. It has a history that goes back to its component manufacture in the factory, and it will make more history in the future. The car will live on (hopefully) beyond the days when I can drive it and its next owners will speak of the history of its build. My advice is to enjoy your replica for the outstanding car that it is and don’t allow it to be devalued by making some irrelevant comparison to another car that has had its own separate existence. You are now inseparably linked with your car’s history so enjoy your association with it while you have it.

Just my 2c.

Back