Snob - or wot?

Snob - or wot

Ever notice that that nit-picker, nay sayers and so-called experts usually don't have a vehicle!. My respect goes out to everyone here on the forum that has engaged in the building of their dream, make it work, solve problems, source parts, etc. etc., and then share their experience. I think thats what the passion really is...not the so called correctness, but personalization of your build.
Just my two cents.
Cheers
Phil

Keith

Phil said:
Ever notice that that nit-picker, nay sayers and so-called experts usually don't have a vehicle!. My respect goes out to everyone here on the forum that has engaged in the building of their dream, make it work, solve problems, source parts, etc. etc., and then share their experience. Cheers
Phil

Well excuse the hell out of us poor 'Got No 40 Folks', Mr Phil Snobbington.
Pardon us for bothering your exalted self.

:mad:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Keith H,
Well said Homer.
By the way Keith, who is "Ali Mono" ?- you need to dump her and build a nice car !
I hope that next time I'm over in the New Forest Inn we can do some beers ?
---------------------------00000------------------------

My one qualification to pen this is that I am a Glaswegian and I don't know how to be a snob, as any idea about putting oneself over another is soon knocked out of one early - So here goes in very plain narrative,

If it's true to original drawings and specification for body shell, chassis, suspension and motor/drive train, AND can do 200++ without cracking up.
-------Then it's a GT40 to me.

If the build is anything less ?
-------Then it is simply a kit car
:flameon:I know it hurts and I am disrespectfull.

Recently, I have heard the term "factory built" in oneupmanship comparison to other similar if not better, owner built kit cars.

I now think that this replica term is sales contrived - and most customers like this reassurance that they are not buying a chassis resembling a wheel barrow. It makes them feel better and somehow satisfies doubts about spending big money on that last ego trip when in the real world back at suburbia, their pubics have turned silver like Stewart Granger's portrait, their wife needs that face lift and a new supermarket and school tractor.
Replica is BS proven when I heard some sales guy at Goodwood recently describing their "replica GT40" car worth £30k as "the closest thing you'll get to the real thing". (£30k will only get you the original suspension).

The fact is that the drive of any kit is great fun, especially if it's your own work, but entirely different from the real thing and very few sellers of kit cars will even attempt to push any of their products to the original GT specification on the track, as the protoypes were engineered for, racing with endurance and mph.

Is it a fact that the DVLA in the UK do not recognise the term "Replica" and ONLY "Kit car" when assigning registrations ?

Bottom Line ?
Any good looking car will attract the anoraks and if you are the type who frets about what some people might think of your drive ? then buy an ice cream van and eliminate those weaknesses on their side and yours. I've also never heard anybody slagging off a beer wagon.
Self preening will always attract critique and probably lose you some nice friends, so be honest with yourself and fair to others first.

Last edited:

Keith

Heh heh heh Jimmy, see youse. ;)

Ali Mono?, she's cool, and she has a sister Stainless, but Ali is easier to get your hands into if you ken.

:)

But you're dead right - I gotta stop leching after these chicks and build myself a car....

Thanks for keeping me on track...rockonsmile

The best part of owning/building a kit car is that you can do what you want. You can express your creative side or go all the way and make an exact copy of a particular car. The choice is yours.

If I owned an original GT40, I would feel a lot of pressure to restore it to what it originally was like when it left the factory or when it was raced. Really I wouldn't have any choice at all.

So my GT40 suits me perfectly. I can do anything I want with it and I think most people respect that.

For example Bill D has taken the exact opposite path to myself, but I'm really enjoying his build. That man really does not take any prisioners.

And I bet he is also enjoying watching my re-build.

I've got two local owners of original GT40's & Cobra's. They are definitely not snobs. When our Club(Cobra & GT40 replicas) was invited to see one of these fine gents car collection, the other owner was gracious in bringing his vehicles for display as well. Who else would best appreciate the original cars, the replica owners of course. :) A great day was had by all.

It's all good.

Last edited:

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
Snob or wot?

Phil said:
Ever notice that that nit-picker, nay sayers and so-called experts usually don't have a vehicle!. My respect goes out to everyone here on the forum that has engaged in the building of their dream, make it work, solve problems, source parts, etc. etc., and then share their experience. I think thats what the passion really is...not the so called correctness, but personalization of your build.
Just my two cents.
Cheers
Phil

My original Q was based on the knowledge that I was getting the "nit-picking" from other owners - that was wot I found surprising - getting dumb-a****d questions from guys who ought to know better and didnt have any more an "original" than mine.

to be or not to be 40

Craig w

Im with you .
If you have a real one you would have to do the right thing.

I own an RF & I had these preconcieved ideas when I started building it(originality).
Then I realized I was going to end up with a car that I wasnt happy with.
I think there are somethings you shouldnt change.
Other things suit yourself as long as its in good taste.

Besides I can honestly say if there was 10 gt40s lined up & they were all identical other than colour by the third one I would work of because I have seen everything I need to see.

Jim

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
colo(u)rs or wot

I have just (rather belatedly) thought.....

If my car hasnt got the correct shade of red - maybe someone out there can tell me what the "correct" Essex Wire colours should be?

info has to be suitable for ordering..

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Is it real, or is it ......?

IMHO, each and every one of you who really drive a GT40, whether built by Ford during the 1960's or by yourself in the 2000's, is driving a real GT40. I say so b/c right now all I have is a bunch of motor parts sitting around my garage, wondering when I'll find time to put them together, so to me any GT40 that can be started and driven is real compared to the vision, the dream I have.

Has anyone given much thought to the idea that our "replicas" might just perform better than the originals? I spent a considerable amount of time following a thread on this forum regarding the restoration techniques that are necessary for a 1960's Ford manufactured GT40 to comply to original form, and it dawned on me that it still looked somewhat weak in comparison to the ones we are building.

Bottom line--IMHO, if you can drive it, it's real, and let those who have too much time on their hands worry about if it is "real" or not according to their definition. If not, then it's no more a "real" GT40 than the schemes and dreams I have rattling around in this head of mine.

is it real???

How about some ideas on how to answer this? I'll start with.... "I hope so as it's a long walk home."

Is It Real?

What is so difficult about this question? Mine is a real GTD GT40. Someone else may have a real DRB GT40 etc. etc. Is it genuine? If Ford or their licensed representative - i.e. Shelby , Holman & Moody, etc. did not make it, then it is not genuine. Alan Mann, John Weyer, Safir - their work was done with Fords blessing so should also be considered as genuine. If you want to get technical you could actually say that our "GT40's" are real and genuine, as Ford built several versions of their"Ford GT" Mk 1, Mk 2. Mk 3,etc., not a GT40. It all seems pretty simple to me. When asked, I usually tell people that it is a custom built replica off 60's Ford race car that won the LeMans 24 hour several times. I am proud of the car and the effort put into building it.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Is it real?

No, I have hypnotised you and it is really a Fiat Bambini.

Attachments

• 152989697_0f929c557f_s.jpg
    152989697_0f929c557f_s.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 408
reverse snobbery

And then of coarse there is the reverse snobbery. That’s those who don’t look down at the car (metaphorically speaking :D), but those who try to make themselves out to be somehow noble for having resisted their desire to have one themselves. Comments such as…

... yes but where can you drive it at 200mph
Or
… I’d get tired of having to climb in like that
Or
… it still just takes you from A to B

Answer to each of these in order is usually …
… on the race track of coarse
… never! It lets you know that this is going to be something really special
… No no no, wrong wrong wrong! It takes you from A to A the long way, and you do it for the bit in between.

:D

Chris,

the alternative is to ask what their hobby is, and ask a stupid question or comment in return.

I did this to a guy giving me comments about one of my cars some time ago. His hobby was Golf, to which I said 'ah, once described as a good walk spoiled'. He got the message and wandered off :)

Pete said:
No, I have hypnotised you and it is really a Fiat Bambini.

Pete

Having seen your Fiat Bambini, I must say, I have a new found respect for Fiat Bambini's. Who would jhave though that they could be such a beautiful car.

On the topic of the thread, as one who doesn't own a replica or a real GT40, I personally would rather a replica. As Craig W said, you can do it up as you please, it has much more modern comforts, and with the benfit of modern technology would almost certainly go better. I know that was a bit blasphemous to those purists out there but quite frankly, if I was going to spend that kind of money I would buy a new Ford GT AND a replica! Having seen a number of replicas now, they rock!

Cheers

Jack

You will most certainly never "convert" or "educate" those nay-sayers. I've just gotten used to them over the years. I have a Dino Spyder that I took to a recent Ferrari club event. A dufus in a 365GTC4 parked next to me, and seemed irked that my car was getting more attention from the spectators. I overheard him numerous times leaning toward the onlookers and saying, "That's not a Ferrari. It has some similar lines, but it is NOT a Ferrari!" I didn't bother to debate with him. Or the other day at the gas station when I was fueling my Mangusta. A young couple was gassing up on the other side of the island and the young lady walked over to look at the 'Goose. Her boyfriend hurried over and told her, "It's a kit car. It started out as a Volkswagen." I figured maybe he was too young to know about Mangustas so I gave them a very short history of the car. The young lady seemed interested and thanked me, but as they walked away the guy said, just loud enough for me to hear, "It's a f@#&$%g Volkswagen." Sooooo...the real car people will appreciate a quality vehicle. And the jerks....are condemned to remain jerks. We get to enjoy the cars!

You've got some nice cars there Daryl - I am a huge fan of the Dino, it has to be one of the most perfect automotive lines. My oldest chum in Sussex has a dark blue one so I'm familiar with it - inside and out - and have been seriously tempted over the years to buy one myself.

As to snotty people? I have a few Aston Martins and the snot that goes with Astons seems to run greener than just about any other snot I've ever seen!! I think Phil nailed it when he says that the nit-pickers don't usually have a car (of this type), owners of the older AM V8's would look at my Vanquish and call it a Ford (I have a V8 too!) and not a 'proper' Aston etc etc.

I'm no expert on GTD's, however it is surely the case that if you want a 'GT40' you have to have a replica don't you? There are precious few original GT40's knocking about - perhaps I'm wrong, as I say, I'm no expert.

PS - Given your other cars Daryl, have you ever been tempted by a Muira?

Last edited:
The turning point for me was during a Haynes Manual Classic Tour around the South of England. I had a Lotus Seven at the time and was parked up waiting for the start. The bonnet was off for some reason and this geek walked over and peered into the engine bay screwing his nose up as if passing a brick. I could just tell he was going to come out with some profound advise and sure enough out it came "I don't think that cable should run across there (refering to the temp sender cable), it should go over here (pointing at an adjacent chassis member)". "Oh, thank you for that" was my sarcastic response. From that moment on my cars would be how I want them to be just to get up the nose of the like talked about here.
This gentleman had every right to be a perfectionist but being critical about my pride and joy was wrong. I bet his mother still breast feeds him!

Back