I think ive put my GT40 plans aside guys :/

As a few of you may have known from my previous posts on this forum, I was saving up to purchase a Deluxe Plus GT40 from RCR when I had saved up enough money. I planned on the purchase in about 5 years or so. I had mentally put it together on how I wanted it to be to the exact detail. I planned on dropping a 302 into it and have it painted a sexy midnight blue metallic with 2 white or light silver racing stripes down the center and possibly one on the sides with a set of modern mirrors on each door. I had never come to a conclusion on what tranny to mate to the 302.

I think I was more than prepared for this build. Some reasons being I graduated from a technical high school a 3 years ago from the Automotive Technology shop. From there I went to a Community College where I took General Motors ASEP program in which I graduated top of my class last May. Through college, I worked in a small garage for about 2 years. I quit in September. I had had enough and felt like it was time for something new.

Now as things change I've put my build plans behind me. It kills me to throw a dream away. I'm sure we all know the feeling, but my build dreams have been replaced with a dream that I've held onto for a longer time. Something that I think would be better for me. Now typically I wouldn't share stuff randomly on a forum like this, but writing it out helps me cope with my decision. I decided that what I've saved up has been redirected into relocating to Florida. I've never handled the cold well here in Massachusetts, and I live for the warmth of the Spring and Summer months. With my girlfriend following me together we should have enough money for a down payment on a house of our own and 2 cars by the time we are 26. By then we would have been together for 8 years which I think is an optimum move in time. If we happen to part ways before then, I think I'm still going to follow my dream of heading to Florida. There is a possibility I could scrap my Florida dream and resume saving for the GT40, but as of now that's looking to be unlikely. Like I said, I ordinarily wouldn't share something like this on a forum, but typing it out and having others read it makes it easier to cope with putting my build dreams behind me. Thanks guys

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jon,

Sometimes dreams need to be set aside for more important or relevant ones. Don't give up on it totally. Just put it on a shelf in your mind and one day it will be right.

Many years ago I wanted a GT40 badly and had to rationalize that there was no way I could afford the time or cost of building one at the time. I filed the dream away and a remarkably short time later an opportunity presented itself that I was able to seize upon. No regrets, much less investment and buckets of fine ever since.

Good luck and keep hold of your dreams. Use them to motivate you to achieve more. Remember, sometime things that seem just out of reach can be grabbed, but things that are never reached for always remain elusive.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_2431LR.jpg
    DSC_2431LR.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 359

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jon,

I dreampt of owning a GT40 for over 40 years. Don't let the dream die, but keep it alive in your heart... Meanwhile, build your career so someday you'll be able to realize your dream..

You're young. There's time..

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
If I had to choose between a car and a climate I could stand, I'd take the ciimate any day. You live in the climate and surroundings all your waking hours! Hell, the improved climate makes the cars work better and more available to have fun in. None of this "putting the car away for the winter" crap. I think you're making the right decision. You'll come back to the GT40 thing and it will work better down in FL. Best of luck!

Dreams and Goals are what keep us going, Mine started like most here many years ago. When these were first on TV in the 60's I said I had to have one. That was when the only thing I could find was the FiberFab offering. Roll ahead 50 years I now have the R.F. on the road and A KVA in progress, And as has been said this will all come in time. Back burner for now, But not dead. Best luck in your future plans. Wally

Man, I hear you and I think what you are doing is the right thing.

The last thing I talked to my dad about before he died was us building a replica car together. That was over 20 years ago and I just got my kit delivered this past week. I remember setting up a jar and labeling it as my GT40 fund way back then. I still have that jar filled with IOU papers to myself as funny as it sounds.

Good luck and I hope to see you back here some day with a kit in your garage.

It took me 15 years of wanting, planning and dreaming before I started. If it's your dream don't give it up, keep saving and it'll happen for you one day.

I was looking at a Fiberfab kit a few years ago as a poor college kid with a burning desire to get into this. And as of October, I've got a build thread for a Tornado. So don't be discouraged. Good luck.

JON, I can't say or add anything to what my friends have already said about your dream. I will ask what part of Florida are you considering? I've lived in just about every area of this state so if I can help in anyway please don't hesitate to ask. I live in central Florida and will sing its praises. After living in the NE, west and Southern parts I can only say good things about the people living in this area. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

Trying to do the same thing as you are at the moment - move to Florida, that is. As the others have said, do NOT give up on your dream, just postpone acting on it until the time is right.
A.J.

Hey Jon,

After spending my youth moving around a bit, growing up on the east side of the Rockies, 5 years in and outside NYC, spending 3 years in Miami, 5+ years outside KC, KS, 2 years in Harrisburg, PA, and finally graduating from high school in SE MA, I decided to head for warmer weather myself - heading to San Diego for college.

I've also put my GT40 plans on hold - family comes first. Hopefully, in the very near future, I can really start moving forward.

So, keep the dream alive - it's always nice to have something to look forward to doing.

Ian

Nah you got it all wrong....the 40 comes first.....you can sleep in it till you save up for a house......you can drive it to work while you save for a family wagon..........Get your Missus to work while you cruise all day.....
You could hang with Fran chewing the fat all day........Buy it now.

Back