SPF GT40 MKII Ken Miles Livery Build

Rob Klein

Supporter
That's what Lee is asking, I think there is a little wiggle room depending on the spec. But a Solid $800k-$Mill

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Prestige was given instructions to build this 363 for my track/street fastback. I'm still breaking it in, but hope to have it on the track this summer. I had an estimate for a similar 8-stack build for my AP GT40 build....$29K!
I wanted an 8 stack on my Prestige 363. $1,000 per stack was more than I was willing to spend, but if my car comes out looking good, I may upgrade.

Neil

Supporter
I wanted an 8 stack on my Prestige 363. $1,000 per stack was more than I was willing to spend, but if my car comes out looking good, I may upgrade.

Attachments

• crower.jpg
    crower.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 36
Thanks everyone for valuable input. I continue my research day and night, this has turned into an obsession. That being said, one thing that I didnt properly research was emissions testing and the following question is in regards to that process.

When you buy a new engine but its a 427 FE (such as shelby american or roush) or 351 etc (but the block, parts, assembly all new), does the engine have a date code of when it is built (i.e 2024) or is it the time period from which the engine is from (i.e 1967)?

I just found out that the only way to pass emissions where I am is to have an engine pre 1974. This is separate from titling the car “as a 1966 GT40”. Apparently titling it as a 1966 isnt enough, the inspection station requires a letter from DMV stating that the engine is pre 1974 and DMV only gives you this letter if you can prove the engine is old and apparently they check the date code on the block.

I’m just not sure what these newly constructed old era engines have as a date code. If its the actual assembly date, then I guess I am a bit screwed.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Thanks everyone for valuable input. I continue my research day and night, this has turned into an obsession. That being said, one thing that I didnt properly research was emissions testing and the following question is in regards to that process.

When you buy a new engine but its a 427 FE (such as shelby american or roush) or 351 etc (but the block, parts, assembly all new), does the engine have a date code of when it is built (i.e 2024) or is it the time period from which the engine is from (i.e 1967)?

I just found out that the only way to pass emissions where I am is to have an engine pre 1974. This is separate from titling the car “as a 1966 GT40”. Apparently titling it as a 1966 isnt enough, the inspection station requires a letter from DMV stating that the engine is pre 1974 and DMV only gives you this letter if you can prove the engine is old and apparently they check the date code on the block.

I’m just not sure what these newly constructed old era engines have as a date code. If it’s the actual assembly date, then I guess I am a bit screwed.
The 351w was introduced in 1969. A ‘seasoned’ block can be built into a potent engine. An original block is not going to be as robust as a Dart or similar, but costs a lot less. If you can find one still in the truck or car, then the date should be established beyond doubt. A block that old will most likely need to be bored and while a seasoned block can be bored and stroked to 427, it may not be able to handle the power the way a new block with 4-bolt mains and thicker walls can. You could go ahead build a 427, but limit the power to 425 HP to keep it reliable. It will also cost a lot less that way.

The 351w was introduced in 1969. A ‘seasoned’ block can be built into a potent engine. An original block is not going to be as robust as a Dart or similar, but costs a lot less. If you can find one still in the truck or car, then the date should be established beyond doubt. A block that old will most likely need to be bored and while a seasoned block can be bored and stroked to 427, it may not be able to handle the power the way a new block with 4-bolt mains and thicker walls can. You could go ahead build a 427, but limit the power to 425 HP to keep it reliable. It will also cost a lot less that way.

Thanks Randy. But would a brand new 427 built by Roush or Shelby have a date code of say 2024?

Thanks Randy. But would a brand new 427 built by Roush or Shelby have a date code of say 2024?
Yes the block code would be modern. They are built with new Dart 4 main blocks. Getting an engine built with a 1960's block will be difficult especially for the power output you want. It would help to know what state or country you plan to title in.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
For sure those options will not be 1974 or earlier since they will almost certainly use brand new components. Even if you find a seasoned block option, those builders are not going to be able select a specific year for the block since they buy them already reconditioned. Obviously, for enough money anything is possible.

You might want to reach out to builders that support the Shelby Cobra replica community such as Mike Forte or Gordon Levy. They build a lot of customer specific engines. Mike is located in Massachusetts and Gordon is in Arizona.

Yes the block code would be modern. They are built with new Dart 4 main blocks. Getting an engine built with a 1960's block will be difficult especially for the power output you want. It would help to know what state or country you plan to title in.

NJ

Back