how many GT40's in the world

G

how many GT40\'s in the world

i'm just curious of how many 40's could be arround (original or replica). i've seen 19 cars including mine and mine is not runnig yet. i was once told that there were about 300 in the world. with this forum and with all the companies arround i believe that there has to be more than that
confused.gif

any thoughts?

luis

Re: how many GT40\'s in the world

As far as I know there are 6 real MK-IV's existant. Four or more replicas, two of which were built using original unused tubs,one original CanAm car built on a MK-IV tub and a J car being built up from "parts" which may or may not be real.

[ May 20, 2002: Message edited by: MK -IV J6 ]

This could get into a very contentious area !

What constitutes a 40 ?

G

i'm talking about MKI, MKII, MKIII and MK IV's. it doesn't matter if its original, a replica or a kit. i'm just intrigued about the number of GT40's lurking arround. and when i say replica or kit i mean that the car should be true to a GT40. mid mounted V-8 on a chassis that has the correct measurements. that's what i'm talking about. that is what i have and i'm just curious to see how many out there have something similar to it. for example: there were a little over 100 original cars made. how many of those actually are alive? about 60 of them? ERA has made about 70 or 80 cars right? KVA made a whole bunch, tornado, GTD, integrity/sabre made about 15 or 20, now we have RF and CAV, so i figure that we have about 500 GT40's in the world???

luis
smile.gif

I don't know if this is correct, but I think I remember having read that there are about 100 registered GTD in the UK only. Perhaps someone can verify the numbers since I'm far from certain about 'em.

Luis

You are correct. Most replicas were sold in the UK.

It would be interesing to go through Ronnie
Spain or Trevor Leagte's book and see how
many of the original 100 are now in the US.
My guess is maybe 60. But they sure don't
frequent the car shows I attend!!!

MikeDD

G

I understand that only three or so originals are lost to knowledge. On GTD, Ray does claim about 400 chassis. How many cars is another issue. The GTD40 Car Club has about 100 members but it is not a requirement to own a 40, be it a GTD or other. We have a variety of makes with owners in our club as well as non owners. However predominantly they are GTD owners. A lot of cars pre built by the factory went east to Japan. There are also quite a number running around Europe. I could beleive that there are say 300 completed GTD cars out there somewhere. As a club we get regular enquiries from all over the world but, sorry to say, we don't have an exact answer.

Malcolm

Luis

Both Tornado and GTD claim to have EACH sold over 400 kits. So that makes way over 1000.
But I'd bet 1/2 were never completed.
So 500 RUNNING cars may be closer.

MikeDD

G

that sounds like a very high number of cars. i sure don't see them here in south florida. where would most of these car be?

i know that here in SoFla we have 2 under construction(one of them is mine) and the other is runnig(CAV). the 4th one will be delivered as a running car from ERA probably next year.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Reading the post in the RF forum about the number of GT40s in Aus, reminded me that I once tried to figure out how many GT40 replicas exist world-wide and came up with about 1000 (not including the originals). It's kind of fun knowing that our cars are four times more rare than the new Ford GT.

Other than adding the numbers below, does anyone have a better, more current summary total of the number of completed (or in-progress) GT40s out there? And, yes, I know this is a four year old post, but it at least proves I can use the search function! :D

Howard Jones

Supporter
My best estimate is there are 25-30 running "GT40s" in California. My definition of a complete car is , it has a license plate on it or is currently running on track as a completed track car. I Know of about 14 people I can name, many who are on this forum. I would guess there are 1 or 2 real GT40's in Calif that I include in my total. The rest are several GTD's and quite a few CAV's along with at least 2 or 3 ERA's. Most of the other marks are represented here also, Tornado's, RCR's, DRB's, and homebuilts among others. I do not know of a RF here in Calif. but I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least 1 or 2.

There are about another 10-12 cars elsewhere west of the Rockies. Another group in the middle west, a few more in The Republic of Texas and in the south and about as many on the east coast as on the west coast. Maybe more as ERA's came from the northeast and have been around for quite a while along with most of the real cars in the US.

Sorry I don't count Kelmark GTs, Avengers, etc. It's just me so don't get offended.

All together my guess is about a 100-125 running (compete) GT40's in the USA.

I would be surprised to find that England had any less than the US and for the rest of Europe I am wildly guessing the number at about 1/4-1/2 that of the UK. Put that at another 25-50.

Asia... I include Australia and New Zealand.... would be about the same as Europe????

I would also guess there is something approaching the same number as completed in progress or laying uncompleted (dormant) in someones garage somewhere here in the USA. I wonder if this ratio would bear out worldwide? About 1/2 of the total "kits" have been completed.

All totaled, I have come up with about 300-350.

For what its worth.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
ERA: about 85—100
RF: about 100
CAV: about 100—120
GTD: made about 300—400max
KVA: ???
DAX: under 50?
GT40NA/NZ: 10 or so?
DRB: ???
Tornado: 300? (could it be that high?)
MDA: 15?
RCR: 25?

Who have I missed? Can anyone put accurate numbers to these? I am interested to know how many complete cars/kits were made. I understand that many are not yet, and some may never be, on the road.

Thanks,

Era 85-100?

I thought ERA makes about 5 per year, so 85-100 seems out of proportion. They produce about 50 cars per year, the majority being 427 and 289 cobras.

Mark Charlton said:
ERA: about 85—100
RF: about 100
CAV: about 100—120
GTD: made about 300—400max
KVA: ???
DAX: under 50?
GT40NA/NZ: 10 or so?
DRB: ???
Tornado: 300? (could it be that high?)
MDA: 15?
RCR: 25?

I think that's pretty close, although I'd be surprised if there are that many ERA cars out there. Figure 20 or so for DRB, and another 30 or so to account for scratch-builts, one-offs, Sabres, and the cars that Goram has produced in Sweden, as well as the couple that SPF has produced thus far. I estimate 90% of the ERAs, CAVs and SPFs are on the road, and that about 40% of the remainder have yet to be completed.

I think I read that GTD produced chassis number into the 400 range, although it's hard to tell how many chassis numbers translate into actual chassis, as there were set-asides for cars intended for Russia and Asia, I believe. Same deal with RF and most others who numbered and manufactured chassis.

era #2076 i don't believe any higher numbers are on the road yet. I also don't think they started at #2001

LLoyd

Back