how many GT40's in the world

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Clearly only Andy has the answer to that one, but I assumed from his reply that he meant GT40 replicas.

Mark

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Ron

Its 800 GT40s.

Mark

Ref the Evo article. I was so annoyed about some of the remarks made about Tornado that I contacted the Editor and threatened legal action.

It was clear that the Guy who wrote the article could not be bothered to get off his backside and contact us to find out the information he needed. Instead he asked other persons supposedly involved with GT40 replicas who know nothing about our business what their opinions were and printed that.

Over my years involved with the kit car industry I have learned to never believe anything you read in a car magazine other than if they say it was a red car and you can clearly see in a photograph for yourself that its a red car.

Thanks

Andy

Ron Earp

Admin
Andy Sheldon said:
Over my years involved with the kit car industry I have learned to never believe anything you read in a car magazine other than if they say it was a red car and you can clearly see in a photograph for yourself that its a red car.
True that. Learned that the hard way.

And even then it might be photoshoped and actually black.

Ron

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
as a side question..How many of the street MKIIIs were made? Are their locations known and how many survived?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't see mention of the GT40 Mark Vs built by Safir Engineering, now Safir GT40 Spares Ltd. I believe that forty were made according to David Hodges' book; however there is at least one "B" version (a car in Chicago, complete but with an alternate serial number and not authorized by Peter Thorp, if my memory serves me right- I believe this car is more or less complete but not fully sorted out and may never have been driven), plus 1149, my car. In addition, some serial numbers are missing from the Hodges list: 1126 and 1127. I think that one of those cars belongs to one of the Safir principals, John Sadler, but I am not certain. If you add those to the list in Hodges' book, you get forty-three GT40s. At least one of those cars was damaged in a track accident and has been recently rebuilt by Ellis Hubbard around an Adams-McCall steel tub of Mark V dimensions.

The edition of Mr. Hodges' book from which I quote was published in 1998. As these cars change hands etc it is reasonable to assume that the list of owners is necessarily obsolete; however I have not heard of any Mark V cars written off, so the overall number is probably accurate.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
With regard to Mark III cars, seven were made and I believe that all survive. At least one was at Pebble Beach in 2003, and completed the road tour event. It would have been hot in there, I have to say, under the August California sun. Worse, the interior color is black. You have to love a car a great deal to drive fifty miles in the sun with no ventilation.

Back